• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Experiencing a power cycle audible pop sound on Genelec speakers

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn’t pop when powering the computer off because the interface has its own power supply maybe

I think is an issue with the way Focusrite handles the usb connection to PC as I read others have experienced the same

My solo pops when powering off windows but the 18i8 does not and more than likely is because the 18i8 has a power supply

Both pop when the interface makes usb connection with computer

This tells is bad design from focusrite and the way they handle the usb connection
Well only you seem to have the problem.

Can you post a screenshot of the Focusrite control?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a second gen or 3rd?

Is your speaker on before you power on computer? Otherwise doesn’t make sense lol

Is your speaker on before you power off computer?

My issue may be the computer maybe the usb motherboard or the way it handles usb

When you turn on your pc, does the usb green light on interface turn on, then off and then eventually stays on?

Or when you power pc, the green usb light turns on and stays on?
Please read my post above. It is all there. Again, speakers on, guitar on, interface speaker and headphone volume and gain up. Now PC on. No pop whatsoever.
Then while everything is on. PC off. Again no pop.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Well only you seem to have the problem.

Can you post a screenshot of the Focusrite control?

Others have the same issue not just me. Focusrite control probably has nothing to do with it.

With solo there is literally no settings on focusrite control lol except basic stuff is all default

At this point im going buy a motu and check if it does the same, if it does then is my computer

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a second gen or 3rd?

Is your speaker on before you power on computer? Otherwise doesn’t make sense lol

Is your speaker on before you power off computer?

My issue may be the computer maybe the usb motherboard or the way it handles usb

When you turn on your pc, does the usb green light on interface turn on, then off and then eventually stays on?

Or when you power pc, the green usb light turns on and stays on?Yes 3rd gen.
Yes 3rd gen

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Please read my post above. It is all there. Again, speakers on, guitar on, interface speaker and headphone volume and gain up. Now PC on. No pop whatsoever.
Then while everything is on. PC off. Again no pop.

Does the green usb light on the interface

When you power on Pc, does it stop shining, then shine, stop shining, then shine?

Ill make a video when i get home

When i turn on my Pc the green usb light shine, then pop happens, then goes dark, then right before entering windows login, it shines again and another pop, then it stays on

The pops happen when light shines as the pc turns on this tells me is an issue with the usb

If yours doesn’t do this then the issue is my pc

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the green usb light on the interface

When you power on Pc, does it stop shining, then shine, stop shining, then shine?

Ill make a video when i get home

When i turn on my Pc the green usb light shine, then pop happens, then goes dark, then right before entering windows login, it shines again and another pop, then it stays on

The pops happen when light shines as the pc turns on this tells me is an issue with the usb
Yes the light comes on. And not any noise or pop during the entire powerup sequence. None, not even the faintest.

Please make a screenshot from Focusrite Control. I have a theory but might be wrong.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume you've tried different USB ports, different cables, turned off sounds in Windows? You could try uninstalling all USB host controllers then reboot the computer.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Yes the light comes on. And not any noise or pop during the entire powerup sequence. None, not even the faintest.

Please make a screenshot from Focusrite Control. I have a theory but might be wrong.

Ok ill do that later im not at home but my question was

Does the green usb light

Does it light up, goes dark, light up and stays on when you start pc

Or does it simply light up once and stays on the whole time?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've now tried my Antelope Audio Zen Tour. It is quiet under all circumstances. No turn on/off pops. Not start/stop clicks. No extraneous issues over monitor out or phones. Maybe this would be the one for the OP to get. It is discontinued. They have other Zen devices which may or may not be quiet. Find one 2nd hand, and you should be set.

It has an external wall wart supply. Can be connected via thunderbolt or USB. For this test I used USB.

@Pancreas

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Does the green usb light

I didn’t pay attention to the light. But I would assume so as it ran through the entire start up sequence. I can check again the light tomorrow (CET here).

Yuhasz01

The pop i refer to is the one that happens when you turn on Pc and the Scarlett connects to the PC usb

The pop matches the usb green light when it happens and it pops twice as the computer powers usb then cuts power the powers again all in a few seconds until window login screen appears. This interface has a power brick so is not because is trying to get power from the pc

This is bad design from focusrite and they probably use some cheap capacitor rather than something better interfaces use

My popping issue has nothing to do with playing guitar

Maybe the issue is my pc is an HP

I tried with a laptop same thing happens but the laptop is also HP so i dont know

This tells me is the interface why?

Cause it happens with headphones too

Even if i disconnect the speakers from interface it happens with headphones so is not the speakers

Is either the interface or pc or both
Not a Genelec speaker problem at all then.

JayGilb

Major Contributor

Does the green usb light

What model is your pc ? The led on/off/on maybe due to windows power saving settings as the OS loads after pc bios boot.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

What model is your pc ? The led on/off/on maybe due to windows power saving settings as the OS loads after pc bios boot.

Hp pavillion 690-0024

2017 computer

I disabled all power saving options on bios tho and also updated the bios before and after

The pop happened before and after bios update

Before and after disabling all power saving on bios

I know my way around computer i tried many things

Im gon try reset the pc

Thing is i tried it on my brothers HP laptop and it did the same so i dont know

It could be an HP thing

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It would help everyone @Pancreas if you didn't start a new thread about the same subject every few hours. I've explained in two other threads that you turn power amps on last and off first. Lots of other people have told you something similar. By keep starting a new thread you are drawing different people in to give you the same advice that you've already received 5 times in 5 different threads.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

It would help everyone @Pancreas if you didn't start a new thread about the same subject every few hours. I've explained in two other threads that you turn power amps on last and off first. Lots of other people have told you something similar. By keep starting a new thread you are drawing different people in to give you the same advice that you've already received 5 times in 5 different threads.

And you think I don’t know this sequence? Bruh lol

I research stuff like crazy. I googled and read every forum, reddit etc posts about speaker pops

The reality is there are some interfaces and dacs that will block these pops it is possible and i want this i want convenience and i dont want to be in pop city

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I research stuff like crazy. I googled and read every forum, reddit etc posts about speaker pops

The reality is there are some interfaces and dacs that will block these pops it is possible and i want this i want convenience and i dont want to be in pop city
But you still haven’t corrected the thread title. It’s very unfair to the brand.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
But you still haven’t corrected the thread title. It’s very unfair to the brand.
He can’t now. He has a 24hr egg timer and his posts/thread titles lock. As a Donor like you are, you get an unlimited edit perk. It’s a secret so don’t tell anyone else! ;)

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Then why don't to follow it, rather than trying to find an unnecessary fix?

Top Bottom