• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Experiencing a power cycle audible pop sound on Genelec speakers

kongwee

Major Contributor
does it pop when turning computer if the speakers were on before?
Turning on and off computer doesn't make any pop. High frequency noise is still there when turing off the computer with USB connection only. Plug in the power supply no noise powering up and down my iMac when the interface is on. No pop.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

All this tells me my issue is either my computer or my electricity lol

I think is the computer ground loop issue with the motherboard

Do you get a pop if the speakers are on and you turn off or on the interface via switch in the back?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@HarmonicTHD
@AdamG247

Ok here is a screenshot of Focusrite control and a video of how the interface green light light up, then goes dark, lights up again.

Its difficult to hear the pops so you'll have to up the volume as much as possible, but the pops happen exactly the USB light goes green. There are 2 pops.

This doesn't happen when I power off the PC

View attachment 264608
Can you setup your routing exactly as I posted with no Custom Mix and the Monitors set to Playback 1 2 and report back what happened?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Can you setup your routing exactly as I posted with no Custom Mix and the Monitors set to Playback 1 2 and report back what happened?
There is no post from you about that tho I just tried this, they still pop, it has nothing to do with settings

Now my speakers won't go to sleep even though I disconnected my guitar cable. I don't know what's going on

I still think is my PC and some ground loop issue coming from motherboard/psu as whether I use speakers or headphones, I get weird noises when I use the mouse wheel, hover over links, highlight words, open windows start menu, etc, you need to increase the volume to hear it well

This tells me is noise coming from USB connection as thats the only thing connect to the PC

Why are my speakers not going to sleep tho the PC is off and the interface USB light is off?

Could it be because of this "noise" tho the PC is "off" in reality since windows 8, turning off the PC actually goes into hibernation thats why windows boots up are faster than back then, so is possible that this noise is still transferring and preventing the speakers from going to sleep

I'm going to try disconnecting the usb from computer and see if they go to sleep while interface is still on and speakers connected to it, they probably will

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no post from you about that tho I just tried this, they still pop, it has nothing to do with settings

Now my speakers won't go to sleep even though I disconnected my guitar cable. I don't know what's going on

I still think is my PC and some ground loop issue coming from motherboard/psu as whether I use speakers or headphones, I get weird noises when I use the mouse wheel, hover over links, highlight words, open windows start menu, etc, you need to increase the volume to hear it well

This tells me is noise coming from USB connection as thats the only thing connect to the PC

Why are my speakers not going to sleep tho the PC is off and the interface USB light is off?

Could it be because of this "noise" tho the PC is "off" in reality since windows 8, turning off the PC actually goes into hibernation thats why windows boots up are faster than back then, so is possible that this noise is still transferring and preventing the speakers from going to sleep

I'm going to try disconnecting the usb from computer and see if they go to sleep while interface is still on and speakers connected to it, they probably will
Yes there is. I deliberately included screenshots. Again please see here. Please set up the routing exactly as described (you have some sort of Custom Mix enabled). As said yesterday, I have a theory but I might be wrong.

Post in thread 'Experiencing a power cycle audible pop sound on Genelec speakers'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-sound-on-genelec-speakers.41981/post-1484840

JayGilb

Major Contributor

Simple test. Modify pc settings so that it actually shuts off and does not go into hibernation.
The mouse noise you're hearing is due to a ground loop. They can be difficult to diagnose, especially with a usb connection.

I watched your video and the pop isn't very loud. Do you turn the monitor volume down on your Scarlett before powering off your pc ?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Simple test. Modify pc settings so that it actually shuts off and does not go into hibernation.
The mouse noise you're hearing is due to a ground loop. They can be difficult to diagnose, especially with a usb connection.

I watched your video and the pop isn't very loud. Do you turn the monitor volume down on your Scarlett before powering off your pc ?

Yes the pop is still the same even if interface volume is all the way down

I’ll deactivate that windows hibernation shutdown and see if it still get the mouse noises

I dont think it has anything to do with my focusrite control settings i tried everything

I think is a ground loop issue for sure maybe is my computer the problem or maybe my outlet i bought an outlet ground tester from amazon ill check my outlets today

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't think it will fix your issue, but why not upgrade to Win 10 or 11. You can do so for free.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Don't think it will fix your issue, but why not upgrade to Win 10 or 11. You can do so for free.

My processor is not supported everything else is lol

I think it may be either a computer issue or a issue with my outlets

The pops is one thing but the fact that i get mouse noise on both speakers and headphones it means ground loop issue since it also get pop when I disconnect the usb maybe is the motherboard or psu

Maybe is time to upgrade to a new pc

I had this one since 2017 and it has HP mobo and psu

Trell

Major Contributor
My processor is not supported everything else is lol

I think it may be either a computer issue or a issue with my outlets

The pops is one thing but the fact that i get mouse noise on both speakers and headphones it means ground loop issue since it also get pop when I disconnect the usb maybe is the motherboard or psu

Maybe is time to upgrade to a new pc

I had this one since 2017 and it has HP mobo and psu

The "supported CPU" for Microsoft Windows is for Windows 11, and a PC from 2017 have no problems running Windows 10.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I run win 10 on a 2012 laptop. I gave a 2009 laptop to a relative which runs Win 10. Only upgrade was from a spinning HD to an SSD drive.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

The "supported CPU" for Microsoft Windows is for Windows 11, and a PC from 2017 have no problems running Windows 10.

Im already on windows 10 pro

I downloaded the windows 11 compatibility and it said my pc doesn’t meet the requirements because of my processor

If I were to install it despite this I wouldn’t be able to get windows updates

Nobody said my pc is having issues running win 10

What may be the problem is my HP mobo and PSU they’re proprietary and they may be the source of the pops when connecting disconnecting usb and the mouse noise happening on both my speakers and headphones

I did install a PCIe usb card but this is obviously connected to the motherboard the fact that the issue persists in this card as well is possible is a ground loop issue from my motherboard

I updated all my hp drivers and bios

The problem existed before and after these updates so

Only way im gon find out is buying a Motu interface to test as they claim to be silent when powering on and off

If this Motu makes the same pops and noises then ill know my issue is the Pc

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Im already on windows 10 pro

I downloaded the windows 11 compatibility and it said my pc doesn’t meet the requirements because of my processor

If I were to install it despite this I wouldn’t be able to get windows updates

Nobody said my pc is having issues running win 10

What may be the problem is my HP mobo and PSU they’re proprietary and they may be the source of the pops when connecting disconnecting usb and the mouse noise happening on both my speakers and headphones

I did install a PCIe usb card but this is obviously connected to the motherboard the fact that the issue persists in this card as well is possible is a ground loop issue from my motherboard

I updated all my hp drivers and bios

The problem existed before and after these updates so

Only way im gon find out is buying a Motu interface to test as they claim to be silent when powering on and off

If this Motu makes the same pops and noises then ill know my issue is the Pc
From a post of yours above you gave the impression you’re running Windows 8 when you otherwise did not write which Windows version you used:

>>>Could it be because of this "noise" tho the PC is "off" in reality since windows 8,[bold added]<<<

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for the upgrade installation of Windows 11 avoiding TPM CPU RAM SecureBoot restrictions, please refer to my post here.
All of the periodic "windows update for Windows 11" can be applied even after the above upgrade installation.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pops are an inductance/capacitance issue - which sadly can be caused by many factors. As stated, it's often about ground mismatches. Connecting all the equipment to a single quality power source may help. I use a https://furmanpower.com/product/15a-8-outlet-surge-suppressor-w-smp-lift-evs-and-2-filtered-banks/ - but note there are a host of others, and I am in no way associated with the brand.

Another thing worth exploring is using optical cable to connect some of the stuff wherever possible. Yes Toslink comes with some limitations, but it can be very helpful at isolating such issues from connected equipment. My oldish Samsung TV was prone to doing a "pop" sound when turned to my DAC via coax, it went completely away with optical.

Good luck - I couldn't live with anything doing a pop in my system, either.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

My speakers don't have optical.

I disconnected my interface from the computer, the speakers still won't go to sleep, though there is no signal. I read this on Genelec site

They were going to sleep with my Solo, probably because when you power off the computer, the solo powers off as is getting power from the PC.

It’s quite common that the digital audio source keeps the digital bit clock active when the source is powered ON.

This means as long as my interface is switched ON, the speakers will never go to sleep. On Scarlett settings, it says, clock source "internal" and SYNCED.

So even if I manage to get rid of this pop, unless I'm able to send my speakers to sleep, I will have to turn them on manually anyway, so what's the point. I will also have to turn the interface on and off manually.

If I want the speakers to go to sleep, I'll have to use a USB connected interface

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My speakers don't have optical.

I disconnected my interface from the computer, the speakers still won't go to sleep, though there is no signal. I read this on Genelec site

They were going to sleep with my Solo, probably because when you power off the computer, the solo powers off as is getting power from the PC.

This means as long as my interface is switched ON, the speakers will never go to sleep. On Scarlett settings, it says, clock source "internal" and SYNCED.

So even if I manage to get rid of this pop, unless I'm able to send my speakers to sleep, I will have to turn them on manually anyway, so what's the point. I will also have to turn the interface on and off manually.

If I want the speakers to go to sleep, I'll have to use a USB connected interface
Are your speakers, monitor, computer, and any other devices connected to your PC plugged into the same wall outlet? This will often be the ground loop or ground issue if they aren't. If not, maybe a temporary cheap test is to use a multi-strip plugged into the wall and everything plugged into it so all devices have the same exact ground potential. Others have touched on this, but I didn't see a clear response from you about it. Apologies if I missed it.

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Are your speakers, monitor, computer, and any other devices connected to your PC plugged into the same wall outlet? This will often be the ground loop or ground issue if they aren't. If not, maybe a temporary cheap test is to use a multi-strip plugged into the wall and everything plugged into it so all devices have the same exact ground potential. Others have touched on this, but I didn't see a clear response from you about it. Apologies if I missed it.

I'll try this.

I managed to make one speaker go to sleep town by simply disconnecting its cable from the interface lol

This tells me as long as the interface is switched on, due to keeping internal clock synced, it will never let the speaker go to sleep. So even if I manage to get rid of the pop when turning on PC somehow, my speaker will never go to sleep unless I manually switch off the interface lol

back to square zero

Another problem as mentioned before is if you turn on the Genelec with a power strip rather than the buttons on the back, it makes a pop and when you turn off a thump. Supposedly, as it bypasses the speaker soft start/shutdown.

So I don't know what to do now.

The only solution seem to leave everything on 24/7

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll try this.

I managed to make one speaker go to sleep town by simply disconnecting its cable from the interface lol

This tells me as long as the interface is switched on, due to keeping internal clock synced, it will never let the speaker go to sleep. So even if I manage to get rid of the pop when turning on PC somehow, my speaker will never go to sleep unless I manually switch off the interface lol

back to square zero

Another problem as mentioned before is if you turn on the Genelec with a power strip rather than the buttons on the back, it makes a pop and when you turn off a thump. Supposedly, as it bypasses the speaker soft start/shutdown.

So I don't know what to do now.

The only solution seem to leave everything on 24/7
Just to be clear, I'm not thinking of using the power strip to turn things on and off. Just to get everything at the same ground potential. Then use your gear normally otherwise.

Top Bottom