• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Experiencing a power cycle audible pop sound on Genelec speakers

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And you think I don’t know this sequence? Bruh lol

I research stuff like crazy. I googled and read every forum, reddit etc posts about speaker pops

The reality is there are some interfaces and dacs that will block these pops it is possible and i want this i want convenience and i dont want to be in pop city
The Antelope Zen Tour seems to fit your needs then.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
@Pancreas you have been asked at least 4 times for a video of what is happening and screenshots of your Focusrite Control. Plus you have started multiple threads asking about the same thing. We can’t help you if you don’t provide the requested vids and screenshots. Starting to think we are being Punked or Trolled. Your time is now running out unless you provide the requested screenshots and video of the audible pop.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

@HarmonicTHD
@AdamG247

Ok here is a screenshot of Focusrite control and a video of how the interface green light light up, then goes dark, lights up again.

Its difficult to hear the pops so you'll have to up the volume as much as possible, but the pops happen exactly the USB light goes green. There are 2 pops.

This doesn't happen when I power off the PC

control.png

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I think it could be digital noise coming across the USB connection. I suspect the digital noise is coming across the USB ground connection from the PC motherboard.

The ground loop issue may be coming from my PSU, this computer is 2017 and an HP so is garbage with garbage proprietary components

Considering trying this tho it has reviews that it fried peoples interfaces so i dunno lol

iFi iDefender+ USB ground loop eliminator

Regardless it may be time to finally buy a better PC with actual good parts

I believe that's my problem, this is why it wasn't solved when I installed a PCIe USB card, because the ground loop noise may be coming from the motherboard/PSU and of course a PCIe is connected to the motherboard

So when you turn on the PC, the interface and the PC make usb connection, whatever is causing the ground loop noise, more than likely motherboard send this to the USB

The reason the 18i8 doesn't pop on windows shutdown, while the Solo does, may have to do with the 18i8 having a power supply, so even tho the PC disconnects from the interface via USB, the interface is still on, so the speakers don't pop

With the solo, when computer shutsdown, the solo loses power and turns off, so the speakers pop

Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor
@HarmonicTHD
@AdamG247

Ok here is a screenshot of Focusrite control and a video of how the interface green light light up, then goes dark, lights up again.

Its difficult to hear the pops so you'll have to up the volume as much as possible, but the pops happen exactly the USB light goes green. There are 2 pops.

This doesn't happen when I power off the PC

View attachment 264608
I turned my volume to max and watched that video twice and ever so slightly heard the littlest pop. But the simple fix is to leave the speakers in standby or off, until the boot up sequence is completed. Otherwise I just don’t hear the problem. I revised the thread title as you don’t seem to have a problem with the Gen’s you have a power sequence requirement and the pop that exists as is, is barely noticeable. It’s just common practice and knowledge. To leave the speaker amps off until the final sequence. I do that on my system now.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I turned my volume to max and watched that video twice and ever so slightly heard the littlest pop. But the simple fix is to leave the speakers in standby or off, until the boot up sequence is completed. Otherwise I just don’t hear the problem. I revised the thread title as you don’t seem to have a problem with the Gen’s you have a power sequence requirement and the pop that exists as is, is barely noticeable. It’s just common practice and knowledge. To leave the speaker amps off until the final sequence. I do that on my system now.

now the speakers won't go on standby mode when my computer is off and i dont know why

they should be able to even if the interface is ON as there is no signal and the usb light on the interface is off as well

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
now the speakers won't go on standby mode when my computer is off and i dont know why

they should be able to even if the interface is ON as there is no signal and the usb light on the interface is off as well
How long did you wait? They don't go into standby until some certain period of time has passed with no signal. Also could your cables to the speakers be picking up some noise (it could be inaudible and still be enough to prevent standby)? What kind of XLR cable are you using?

AdamG

Forum Donor
@Pancreas please be advised that all your other threads about this pop problem you are having and seeking assistance with have been closed. I left a redirect link to send readers to this thread. In the future only create one thread for the same subject. Creating multiple threads (Five at last count) about the same topic is considered Spamming the Forum and makes more work for everyone involved trying to respond and track multitudes of Threads. Please do not create any more threads about this same subject.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

How long did you wait? They don't go into standby until some certain period of time has passed with no signal. Also could your cables to the speakers be picking up some noise (it could be inaudible and still be enough to prevent standby)? What kind of XLR cable are you using

I waited the whole night yesterday lol woke up and speaker light was still on lol my computer was turned off and the usb light on interface was off

I did leave my guitar cable plugged in, but it was not connected to the guitar or anything, so i dont know if is that

if the interface on, but no signal the speaker should be able to go to sleep i dont know why they didn't

The genelec take about 1 hour to go to sleep, thats what says on manual and genelec forum

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
if the interface on, but no signal the speaker should be able to go to sleep i dont know why they didn't
I did leave my guitar cable plugged in, but it was not connected to the guitar or anything, so i dont know if is that

Guitar Cable laying on the carpet not plugged into guitar on my 4Pre USB channel 1, input level knob about "halfway".

1676341803564.png

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I have another isse now that I just noticed. I increased the volume on the interface, whenever I use the wheel on the mouse, I hear a buzz noise, every time, like a mosquitoes coming from the speakers, it even happens when I hover the mouse over links, sometimes it happens even when i move the mouse tho not often

happens when use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down websites

I actually muted all windows sounds, it still happens

When I have the interface sound lower I dont really hear unless you get close to it but is there, it even happens when I highlight text on websites

It happens when I click on windows logo start menu

These are NOT windows sound, more like current leaking

I came across a forum where some guy explained something about current leaking through the ground into ports and connections on the motherboard due to poor design and so on

So the problem is that current is leaking through the ground of the PC?

My cables are supposedly balanced, they are from Guitar Center, theyre called Livewire advantage and have good reviews

This tells me the problem is the USB which equals to motherboard or the PSU

The interface is getting the sound from the computer via USB, then transferring to the speakers, but if there is some issue with the motherboard/psu ground loop issue

This mouse issue also happens with headphones

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Guitar Cable laying on the carpet not plugged into guitar on my 4Pre USB channel 1, input level knob about "halfway".

View attachment 264651

damn that sucks, so as long as the cable is inside and laying on the floor is the picking up something, does this only happen when input jack is touching something or simply when the guitar cable is connected to the interface?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Liveware XLRs are fine. Some super cheap cables can get iffy on the connection and are so poorly made they don't shield well.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
damn that sucks, so as long as the cable is inside and laying on the floor is the picking up something, does this only happen when input jack is touching something or simply when the guitar cable is connected to the interface?

The (unbalanced) guitar cable, for lack of a better word, is acting as an antenna and picking up the Utility Mains EMF from the air.

When I touch the tip of the cable, I add myself as more "antenna" and get a loud hum and this:

1676343126794.png

Plugged into a bass guitar, it quiets down.

The strings never stop vibrating, though. Might be the ceiling fan gently blowing on them.

1676343651677.png

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Guitar cables are single ended. The input for guitar is very high impedance typically a mega ohm or more. So they are bad to pick up noise.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Liveware XLRs are fine. Some super cheap cables can get iffy on the connection and are so poorly made they don't shield well.

actually my Sennheiser headphones make the same mouse noises if i up the volume, even tho i disconnected the speakers, they also pop/click when starting windows

this tells me is my pc the problem, some ground loop issue coming from the crappy HP motherboard/psu, this explains why i get pop when disconnecting usb and why the same behavior happens on my headphones

is not the speakers, and probably the issue is not the interface

there is some current passing to the interface and the interface is unable to block it and it just passes to whatever device output is connected to

so is either both the interface and the pc

im going to buy another interface like Motu to test this, if i get the same issues ill return it and buy a new PC lol

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Guitar cables are single ended. The input for guitar is very high impedance typically a mega ohm or more. So they are bad to pick up noise.

so as long as the input for guitar doesn't touch anything, there should be no noise? maybe leave the cable dangling not touching anything?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
so as long as the input for guitar doesn't touch anything, there should be no noise? maybe leave the cable dangling not touching anything?

The electrical wires in the walls of your home radiate EMF, the unterminated cable picks it up out of the air. In the US all the wireds in the walls bounce +/- 170V at 60Hz and its harmonics all the time, waiting for you to plug something in or powering what is plugged in.

Not the tip of the cable (though it can), the whole cable length.

I don't hear it - as measured in the first graph above - but it's probably enough signal for the Genelecs to stay on.

Unplug the cable from the Focusrite when you aren't using it, see if the speakers turn off after the hour or whatever.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
My Scarlett 8i6 (3rd gen) doesn't have pop when I abrupt the power switch or USB cable. My monitor does have high frequency noise when my Scarlett is power down. I am using an iMac.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

My Scarlett 8i6 doesn't have pop when I abrupt the power switch or USB cable. My monitor does have high frequency noise when my Scarlett is power down. I am using an iMac.

it makes the noise when powering down because is losing power from the computer USB maybe

does it pop when turning computer if the speakers were on before?

I think my issue is either my computer motherboard/psu or my outlet, i just bought something from amazon to check my outlets for ground

Top Bottom