• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Experiences of Air Motion Transformer (AMT)

napfkuchen

When the Adam ARTist 5 (similar to the A5x, but rear-ported and with added usb Connection) was discontinued they were sold for 500 Euro including table stands. Really liked the Gloss finish and its performance using dirac.

This is the one I'm waiting on: https://www.magneticmag.com/2020/01/review-namm-2020/

It's an AMT but looks like it'll have improved vertical directivity with the waveguide. It really is unique, there is nothing else like it on the market that I've seen, even moreso when you consider the price. HEDD and ADAM will have competition, something they won't have a direct answer for.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Tip:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1651819294381.jpeg

I’m guessing that thing will have some vertical directivity issues.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
View attachment 204856
I’m guessing that thing will have some vertical directivity issues.
I'm guessing, in my case, it's not so much how they might sound but more like an issues with the my wallet.It oozes expensive about those, he he. ;)

Send some by post to Amir. Then he can combine measurements with strength training. :) They seem to weigh a lot.

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
AMT can indeed work very well, when done properly. The best high frequency reproduction I have ever heard is from an AMT driver.

But it is not the AMT principle in itself that creates magic. As always, it is the execution that matters. How the driver is constructed, how it is implemented. AMT is not "faster" than other methods of making sound. They come in different shapes and sizes. To be chosen for its intended application.

One problem with AMT is the large planar radiation surface, which creates a radiation pattern that changes a lot with frequency. This must be taken care of, to achieve good performance.

Overgaard

Go to https://www.arya-audio.com/airblade for in depth information of the technology that is coming as it is a massive leap above what is available now. This company makes the HF unit. Western Electric makes the Midwoofer 777 in a similar fashion and the system is expandable! This will be an astounding sounding system if the measurements equal performance putting Oskar Heil's technology far beyond most all other drivers with perhaps Sound Lab being better on the Bass end.

AirBlade 180 Specifications
Frequency response: <1kHz to >20kHz
Directivity: 180˚ (other versions upon request)
Impedance: 3.6 Ohms, purely resistive, linear phase
Diaphragm surface area: 19200mm²
Magnets: 34 Neodymium magnets per driver
Weight: ca. 1.6kg per driver
Dimensions: ca. 13.5 x 7.6 x 7.6 cm (W x D x H)

Western Electric 777
  • Frequency Response - 150 Hz to 2 KHz
  • Efficiency - Over 100 db/watt
  • Impedance - 6 ohms nominal
  • Horizontal Directivity - 100% Uniform at all frequencies +/- 90 degrees

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Go to https://www.arya-audio.com/airblade for in depth information of the technology that is coming as it is a massive leap above what is available now. This company makes the HF unit. Western Electric makes the Midwoofer 777 in a similar fashion and the system is expandable! This will be an astounding sounding system if the measurements equal performance putting Oskar Heil's technology far beyond most all other drivers with perhaps Sound Lab being better on the Bass end.

AirBlade 180 Specifications
Frequency response: <1kHz to >20kHz
Directivity: 180˚ (other versions upon request)
Impedance: 3.6 Ohms, purely resistive, linear phase
Diaphragm surface area: 19200mm²
Magnets: 34 Neodymium magnets per driver
Weight: ca. 1.6kg per driver
Dimensions: ca. 13.5 x 7.6 x 7.6 cm (W x D x H)

Western Electric 777
  • Frequency Response - 150 Hz to 2 KHz
  • Efficiency - Over 100 db/watt
  • Impedance - 6 ohms nominal
  • Horizontal Directivity - 100% Uniform at all frequencies +/- 90 degrees
It clearly seems interesting. Will probably require a lot of $.:)

Tip:

funnychap

Something you have experience of, Air Motion Transformer (AMT)? Or what do you think of that type of design?

Pros and Cons?

"The Air Motion Transformer (AMT) is a type of electroacoustic transducer. Invented by noted physicist and scientist Dr. Oskar Heil (1908–1994), it operates on a different transduction principle from other loudspeaker designs, such as moving coil, planar magnetic or electrostatically driven loudspeakers, and should not be confused with planar or true ribbon loudspeakers. In contrast to a planar ribbon loudspeaker, the diaphragm of the AMT is of pleated shape similar to a bellows. The AMT moves air laterally in a perpendicular motion using a metal-etched folded sheet made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) film. The circuit path embossed on the PET membrane, acts as the voice coil unit. The diaphragm (now, as a unit) is then housed between 4 stacks of steel pole-plate pieces positioned at 45° within a high-intensity, quadratic, opposing magnetic field. The air motion transformer with its sheet film equally exposed at 180° behaves as a dipole speaker, exciting front and rear sonic waves simultaneously."

Here's a DIY, as I heard, with an ATM construction. The speakers sounded really good anyway:

The construction thread about the speakers:

"SALS? A! stands for Solhaga's AMT Line Source? Absolutely! and is a 220 cm high line source consisting of stacked broadband AMTs."

I was only looking for short bookshelf speakers around 12in tall,
1. GoldenEar BRX (with ribbon AMT tweeter). Wow, clear, live (especially phantom center vocalist, imaging, voice and cymbals), airy, I get goosebumps, and adding the subwoofers did not cover up the treble/vocalists, the biggest soundstage.
I now hear so many vocalists taking in breaths before they sing (before I could only hear a few), I can hear things that are really low in volume and more instruments, different performers moving around on the stage when listening to broadway musical soundtracks.
The best bass at 40Hz. The speakers disappeared so I felt the singers in the room.

source=Apple Music (hires lossless) and Denafrips Ares II 12th dac (R2R technology for 3D live/realistic sound).

funnychap

Something you have experience of, Air Motion Transformer (AMT)? Or what do you think of that type of design?

Pros and Cons?

"The Air Motion Transformer (AMT) is a type of electroacoustic transducer. Invented by noted physicist and scientist Dr. Oskar Heil (1908–1994), it operates on a different transduction principle from other loudspeaker designs, such as moving coil, planar magnetic or electrostatically driven loudspeakers, and should not be confused with planar or true ribbon loudspeakers. In contrast to a planar ribbon loudspeaker, the diaphragm of the AMT is of pleated shape similar to a bellows. The AMT moves air laterally in a perpendicular motion using a metal-etched folded sheet made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) film. The circuit path embossed on the PET membrane, acts as the voice coil unit. The diaphragm (now, as a unit) is then housed between 4 stacks of steel pole-plate pieces positioned at 45° within a high-intensity, quadratic, opposing magnetic field. The air motion transformer with its sheet film equally exposed at 180° behaves as a dipole speaker, exciting front and rear sonic waves simultaneously."

Here's a DIY, as I heard, with an ATM construction. The speakers sounded really good anyway:

The construction thread about the speakers:

"SALS? A! stands for Solhaga's AMT Line Source? Absolutely! and is a 220 cm high line source consisting of stacked broadband AMTs."

Ideally I would get floorstanding speakers by GoldenEar Triton Reference or T66 or One.R, with the awesome AMT ribbon tweeters.

I have a mixed setup (home theater 7.2.4) with an Arcam AVR5 receiver and a 150in 6x9 projector pulldown screen that's 11' wide x 6' high. Even movies sound better with the GoldenEar BRX speakers with their AMT ribbon tweeter.

I upgraded my front L and R speakers to the GoldenEar BRX (with AMT ribbon tweeter) (I was searching for short 12in tall bookspeakers). Wow, clear, live, airy, gives me goosebumps, and adding the subwoofers did not cover up the treble/vocalists, the biggest soundstage.
I now hear so many vocalists taking in breaths before they sing (before I could only hear a few), I can hear things that are really low in volume and more instruments (especially cymbals), different performers moving around on the stage when listening to broadway musical soundtracks.
The best bass at 40Hz. The speakers disappeared so I felt the singers in the room.
Elvis Presley's vibrato has never sounded so live until now.

I liked my new pair of GoldenEar BRX speakers for music so I was curious if it would improve my old center channel speaker (like how the new BRX improved the L/R speakers for movies).

So today I hooked up the BRX to the center channel...and wow. There were high notes missing with my old speaker!
So I bought a 3rd GoldenEar BRX to replace my center channel speaker.
----
What's amazing is that previously I bought better RCA cables/interconnects by Worlds Best Cables (mogami wire and Neutrik plugs) from Amazon but I did not hear an improvement with my old speakers.

But now I do hear an improvement with the GoldenEars BRX in the high notes, female vocalists, cymbals, bigger soundstage, and more airy.

source=Apple Music (hires lossless, and spatial audio surround music) and Denafrips Ares II 12th dac (R2R technology for 3D live/realistic sound).

Interesting replies here. I was a leas designer at Tectonic Audio Labs when they made DML loudspeakers. We used AMTs as high frequency drivers before switching to ribbons.

Think of an AMT as a miniature line array. The individual folds created an extremely directional source vertically. So much that coherence with the mid driver was difficult without a first order crossover splitting the difference. It got even worse with multiple speakers.

Adam uses an AMT in many of their studio monitors (even though they call them ribbons).

They are great tools, but limited. It’s like showing up to a job site with a hammer. You will perform that task brilliantly. That’s it.

Top Bottom