• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Expensive loudspeakers that sound bad

steve59

Major Contributor
Interesting how some speakers are tuned for a specific type of music and we don't notice their deficiencies until trying different genres.

adm

Interesting how some speakers are tuned for a specific type of music and we don't notice their deficiencies until trying different genres.
The old Acoustic Research (AR) company, whose goal was a flat energy response, believed that a loudspeaker should sound good with all genres of music. My experience is that speakers with a flat response sound good with all genres. On the other hand, colored speakers tailor their response to a particular kind of music.

steve59

Major Contributor
I disagree. My salon 2's contoured my music tastes nearly as much as my kef R105/3's. those kef's were probably to this day the flattest measuring speakers made and they cut my listenable selection by 80%. Hi rez speakers are high risk high reward if someone like me doesn't have access to a wide batch of components to make them sing. I don't play or sing, have no degrees, but have lost a fair size pile of money on "perfect" speakers that didn't agree with the rest of my room and system. I don't think 2 channel speakers should be designed with the same criteria as home theater speakers either.

Top Bottom