• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Expanding Focusrite Clarett 4Pre with ADAT Mic Preamp - Recommendations?

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi folks,

My current recording setup is built around a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB interface with four additional DIY preamps - JL Audio Baby Animal preamps with J99v opamps.

I find the focusrite Clarett preamps are very clean and transparent sounding, but lack a bit of warmth. The JL Audio preamps have a bit more oomph to them and seem to have a bit more presence in the lower/midrange registers, giving them a bit more warmth.

I make extensive use of both in my recordings.

However, I'd like to add another set of preamps to make live tracking of a full band feasible, and to give me some more flexibility when recording drums.

I'm looking at three ADAT-equipped 8 channel mic preamps:

1. Focusrite Clarett Octopre ($699)
2. Audient ASP880 ($1199)
3. RME OctoMic II ($1799)

I like the variable impedance on the Audient as I do have a couple of good ribbon and dynamic mics I like to use, but that's not a make-or-break feature. I've read a few reviews and all seem to regard these preamps as fairly transparent.

Am I getting any kind of significant performance boost by spending more than double to go for the RME over the Focusrite? At the moment I'm leaning toward the Audient but could be talked into either spending more, or less, based on others' experience.

Also, I really don't need 8 additional channels. I'd be fine adding four, for twelve total, but I can't find any four-channel mic pres with ADAT out. If anyone has a recommendation here, it'd be much appreciated.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know there is a lot to separate the three on performance. I like the variable high pass and input impedance of the ASP880. I also think the ASP880 looks cooler for what that is worth. Just for performance I think the Focusrite would be fine, but if you lean toward the Audient I see no reason not to get it. RME makes good gear, but I don't see what if anything you get by springing for it.

Last edited:
OP
SuicideSquid

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know there is a lot to separate the three on performance. I like the variable high pass and input impedance of the ASP880. I also think the ASP880 looks cooler for what that is worth. Just for performance I think the Focusrite would be fine, but if you lean toward the Audient I see no reason not to get it. RME makes good gear, but I don't see what if anything you get by spring for it.
This is pretty much exactly what I'm thinking. Thanks for confirming!

Top Bottom