• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Excuse my novice-ness, but are these measurements 'good'?

EPC

This is for the Tannoy Gold 8.

Intended on getting some Genelecs, but from what I've read these seems to be pretty decent for the price!
Anyone had any experience, and/or could tell me about these readings?

Also, the crossover is at 1.5kHz which seems pretty low!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 15.33.48.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 15.33.48.png
    230.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 15.34.13.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 15.34.13.png
    312.3 KB · Views: 250

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These curves are quite difficult to assess as they are not done to industry standards.

I'm not really answering your question but am just having some fun myself :D. The polar plots from Tannoy seem like an interesting way to visualize speaker directivities. These plots are basically the horizontal cross-section of the balloon directivity plots Amir has shown in a few of his reviews (for example the Harbeth monitor). Thus I decided to write some codes to generate similar polar plots using Amir's provided data.

Here are the plots of the Genelec 8431A (speaker with the highest rating), the Magnepan LRS (the only planar dipole tested), and the Harbeth (one with a balloon plot at 3 kHz). I plotted both horizontal and vertical planes. I followed the 6 dB per division (radial direction) Tannoy used, but not their normalization. Tannoy normalized their plots to 0 dB at the reference axis, which I believe obscure information on frequency response errors.

Genelec -- Hard for me to make any conclusion by comparing the Tannoy to this.
Genelec 8431A Spl Adjusted h-polar.png Genelec 8431A Spl Adjusted v-polar.png

Magnepan -- Dipole!
Magnepan Lrs Offset h-polar.png Magnepan Lrs Offset v-polar.png

Harbeth -- You can see the 3 kHz lobing in the vertical directivity plot (see also Amir's balloon plot in his review).
Harbeth Monitor Ces2034 h-polar.png Harbeth Monitor Ces2034 v-polar.png

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The way Tannoy presents their measurements is very strange and borderline misleading(intentionally?). Nevertheless, the beamwidth looks poor to me. The y scale is totally insane, but, if I'm reading it right, the speaker narrows from ~150(+/- 75) to 70 degrees(+/-35) -6db point by 10khz. It also varies up and down quite a bit and there seems to be a >50(!) degree narrowing between 2 and 4.5khz.

Compare that to the 8341A which has nearly perfect 120 degree(+/- 60) dispersion from 1khz all the way to 20khz and it's clear these things aren't in the same league as any Genelec. Even the far cheaper 2-way 8030C's beamwidth looks better with no more than 20 degree(+/-10) variation at the crossover and no narrowing at all at high frequencies.

In addition to all of that, the Tannoy is a 2-way, and I think problematic IMD is too likely with coaxial 2-ways. I'm not a fan. Honestly, I am pretty sure I'd take the Kali IN-8 over these, though it is certainly not a Genelec either. But at least it is a 3-way and its beamwidth seems more consistent.

If I wanted a coaxial the only ones I'd personally buy would be Kef's 3-ways and Genelecs. Somebody always mentions ME Geithain but as far as I can tell they have no availability or service outside the EU.

If those are too expensive I would just avoid coaxials altogether as the cheap ones seem to have too many problems.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
This is for the Tannoy Gold 8.

Intended on getting some Genelecs, but from what I've read these seems to be pretty decent for the price!
Anyone had any experience, and/or could tell me about these readings?

Also, the crossover is at 1.5kHz which seems pretty low!

As far as I’m aware, no coax design comes close to the Genelecs.

So if you have the budget, then just go with them.

Geithain and KS Digital are two other good ones, but they’re in Europe.

The Kali IN-8 are great, but they have the hiss issue if used in the nearfield. Charles Sprinkle seemed to think IMD is negligible — although I’d like to see comparisons of IMD in the IN-8 and the LP-8 just out of curiosity.

The Presonus Sceptres use a much larger horn loaded waveguide and skirts the issue of IMD altogether. It also solves the problem of “honkiness” from naturally occurring distortion in such designs which use a long narrow tube and sharp corners by using DSP neutralize internal reflections and resonances.

It will not, however, come close to the smoothness of Genelecs due to the geometry of the horn waveguide and its discontinuity from the rest of the baffle.

I do not know of any speaker at its price that has better phase performance at all angles with the same ability to resolve fast transients. The KH120 sound sluggish and muted by comparison. Though I’d like to know if Kef’s coaxes can do the same (much more expensive). I haven’t really seen any detailed time domain measurements in any of them — that I can recall at least. Only frequency response and some spinorama plots thanks to @napilopez!

Notably, it’s somewhat tricky to EQ in places (if so desired) as directivity behaviour is more uneven at certain angles — not to mention EQ also depends (to a smaller degree) in the space they are to be used or placed in. So it’s not a good idea to just completely flatten the on-axis or listening window curves and be done with it... nope.

OP
E

EPC

As far as I’m aware, no coax design comes close to the Genelecs.

So if you have the budget, then just go with them.

Geithain and KS Digital are two other good ones, but they’re in Europe.

The Kali IN-8 are great, but they have the hiss issue if used in the nearfield. Charles Sprinkle seemed to think IMD is negligible — although I’d like to see comparisons of IMD in the IN-8 and the LP-8 just out of curiosity.

The Presonus Sceptres use a much larger horn loaded waveguide and skirts the issue of IMD altogether. It also solves the problem of “honkiness” from naturally occurring distortion in such designs which use a long narrow tube and sharp corners by using DSP neutralize internal reflections and resonances.

It will not, however, come close to the smoothness of Genelecs due to the geometry of the horn waveguide and its discontinuity from the rest of the baffle.

I do not know of any speaker at its price that has better phase performance at all angles with the same ability to resolve fast transients. The KH120 sound sluggish and muted by comparison. Though I’d like to know if Kef’s coaxes can do the same (much more expensive). I haven’t really seen any detailed time domain measurements in any of them — that I can recall at least. Only frequency response and some spinorama plots thanks to @napilopez!

Notably, it’s somewhat tricky to EQ in places (if so desired) as directivity behaviour is more uneven at certain angles — not to mention EQ also depends (to a smaller degree) in the space they are to be used or placed in. So it’s not a good idea to just completely flatten the on-axis or listening window curves and be done with it... nope.
Do you have any experience or opinions on the Genelec 8320?
If I'm gonna enter the Genelec lineup, it's going to be with the GLM, so I want to make sure it has that feature set but I know the driver is pretty small...

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Do you have any experience or opinions on the Genelec 8320?

I’m afraid not.

Though if your intended use is nearfield, then it may be perfectly fine. The low end is going to be limited (depending on your requirements) unless you augment them with a sub.

If you know where you are going to place them and are aware of the likely dips expected in the response — let’s say 10dB at 80Hz — then you can expect that these small monitors are not going to be able to cope with EQ required to even partially fill up that hole without adding a significant amount of distortion. Having prior knowledge of what the response is going to be like in your room might be helpful in any case when thinking about the amount of headroom you might need for your next monitors.

Top Bottom