• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Excessive hissing in some tracks but not others?

ronorn

Well ME TWO
I’m using a good HIFI system. From a few days ago I start to hear HISS in my system. Connected via Ethernet cable. With local Tidal connect software inside the streamer.
After changing cables with no positive results, I found that the Hiss also appear in my iPhone IOS Tidal App and a HomePod via Airplay
When using internet radio: All good. It’s something about Tidal streaming with high res tracks in some music, The hiss is always there.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I only use headphones with my A90D, do you know a way for me to record this? Thanks

I'm guessing it is part of the audio track as mentioned above. Does anyone know why this is? Also is there way to get tracks that don't have it?

Sorry if these are stupid questions

Thank you
There is no point. The hiss is part of the recording.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How please?
Oh, sorry if I got your hopes up. I made the fix clip as a spoof. It's baked into the music track. This is usually a result of something in the production phase where they brickwall limit the dynamics out of the mix to where the noise floor creeps up (this is bad). The fix is unfortunately a bit tricky since I don't have access to the original stems to knock out the noise floor without affecting other things like voices. The AI splitting tools help, but they aren't perfect either. Maybe when I find some time I could take a crack at it.

ronorn

There is no point. The hiss is part of the

Oh, sorry if I got your hopes up. I made the fix clip as a spoof. It's baked into the music track. This is usually a result of something in the production phase where they brickwall limit the dynamics out of the mix to where the noise floor creeps up (this is bad). The fix is unfortunately a bit tricky since I don't have access to the original stems to knock out the noise floor without affecting other things like voices. The AI splitting tools help, but they aren't perfect either. Maybe when I find some time I could take a crack at it.
Lately I’ve added a preamp with a better DAC , now with a McIntosh C53 DAC Da2 , So the hiss is being heard louder.
The problem is that now I also hear that hiss in my iPhone 13 Pro Max and HomePod via airplay ( but I didn’t tried it before).
I think Tidal needs to explain. Sent a message and waiting.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lately I’ve added a preamp with a better DAC , now with a McIntosh C53 DAC Da2 , So the hiss is being heard louder.
The problem is that now I also hear that hiss in my iPhone 13 Pro Max and HomePod via airplay ( but I didn’t tried it before).
I think Tidal needs to explain. Sent a message and waiting.
Are you generally listening to old recordings made on tape initially?

ronorn

Are you generally listening to old recordings made on tape initially?
No.
All my devices under the same home network (Fibers to my home and a Switch with simple ethernet cables to my devices. )
So maybe there is something related to my network quality ?
Changing Ethernet cables is a solution ?
thanks.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
No.
All my devices under the same home network (Fibers to my home and a Switch with simple ethernet cables to my devices. )
thanks.
This is not a network issue.

"Hiss" could be misinterpreted. It can often sound like air being very slowly let out of a balloon with a faint shhhhhhhhh effect and no bzzzzzzz or hmmmmmm. Is this what you hear?

ronorn

This is not a network issue.

"Hiss" could be misinterpreted. It can often sound like air being very slowly let out of a balloon with a faint shhhhhhhhh effect and no bzzzzzzz or hmmmmmm. Is this what you hear?
I hear High Frequency shhhhhhhhh effect. Only from my Speakers Twitter .

Extreme_Boky

Hey all,

I've noticed that on any remaster (Stairway to Heaven) & on some tracks such as All of Me by John Legend there is an excessive amount of hissing background noise in the music? Is this my amp/DAC/power source or is this normal?

Specifically at the beginning of All of Me by John Legend I hear a lot of audible hissing/noise.

My music source is Tidal

Thanks in advance

Always use the lowest possible gain in the amplification chain, if you can set/adjust the gain, that is... 20dB is usually all you need for loud listening levels.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Stuff recorded on master tape can has the hiss come out. Sort of depends on era and engineering.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'd be very careful as regards noise reduction which no doubt can be done domestically in software now. I have a couple of albums that EMI all but murdered in their mastering quest for 'No-Noise' processing, the sound deadened and natural fades into noise truncated into abrupt silence in an unpleasant fashion if heard critically. One of these albums was also available on an Australian 'Two on One' disc and it's much better, the natural background tape hiss just there as a gentle background presence on fade tails. the other, a 1961 'three/four track' stereo mix, was also eq'd a bit to reduce the lovely period 'valvey' kind of sound, the end result being akin to an old much played faded cassette type of dull dead sound (fellow oldies will know what I mean).

Do make sure the headphones used don't have nasssssty peaks in the response masquerading as 'detail' here. You'll find the Harman headphone/earphone curve giving a touch more low bass than other 'HiFi' preference curves can also improve the overall feeling spectrally, the attention not being so 'focused' on the higher frequencies.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No.
thanks.
Much more likely the recording itself or your electronics. Changing cables would be a waste of time/money. You're getting signal now....

Top Bottom