• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Excessive high frequency noise in RME Fireface UFX+ in 192 kHz operating mode (ADC)

kartoffelmann

Is this a normal noise floor for an RME Fireface UFX+? This looks insane to me. Almost 40 dB difference between the typical 20-20k range and the limit near 96 kHz. At the high frequency range this is actually a higher noise floor than my old Fireface 800. I'm asking because I'll have to return it if it is damaged. I've seen devices at less than a quarter of the price of this unit that have a lower noise floor at high frequencies.

2020-04-27 21_14_25-Adobe Audition.png

Note: This is with channel gain set to 9 dB to achieve a -10 dBV reference level.

Edit: This is of the ADC, not DAC. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps @MC_RME could answer your question. He is with RME so should be able to find out for you.

In case he doesn't see this notice you could start a conversation with him using the link in this post.

Last edited:
OP
K

kartoffelmann

@RayDunzl

Pardon, what do you mean by calibrated for level? I can choose between +4 dB and "Lo Gain". The older ones used to have -10 dBV too but they dropped it so now you have to use digital gain and lose 9 dB of dynamic range. In other words, without gain the curve would simply be 9dB lower (I tried this). But for instance switching between +4 and "Lo Gain" does not seem to affect the noise floor, presumably because it's an actual electrical switch between different sensitivities and independent of the ADC.

@Blumlein 88

That would be awesome, thanks!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Pardon, what do you mean by calibrated for level?

There are several display choices in REW's RTA display - the SPL display can be (and has been here) calibrated to arbitrary 0dB levels - so don't pay attenition to the absolute level in the graph above.

OP
K

kartoffelmann

There are several display choices in REW's RTA display - the SPL display can be (and has been here) calibrated to arbitrary 0dB levels - so don't pay attenition to the absolute level in the graph above.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for explaining.

dinglehoser

Forum Donor
I run into this same issue with USB packet noise - 8khz fundamental, with harmonics that keep going forever - when there's a ground loop somewhere AND the USB source is noisy. I actually just noticed this with my own test setup with two otherwise well-engineered devices, and am presently trying to see if the issue is more about process than the hardware itself. Will keep you posted on what, if anything, works best.

dinglehoser

Forum Donor
As I suspected, it had to do with my measurement setup. Using an Apogee Element 24 as ADC, my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 v2 was initially showing an 8khz spike at -90dBFS, with harmonics not far below that. They were plugged into the same laptop. Turns out that was causing a ground loop that not even a balanced connection could solve completely. Using a different machine to drive the 18i8 solved the problem.

OP
K

kartoffelmann

Oooh, I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that the picture of the noise floor I've posted is of the UFX+'s ADC.

mansr

Major Contributor
Is this a normal noise floor for an RME Fireface UFX+? This looks insane to me. Almost 40 dB difference between the typical 20-20k range and the limit near 96 kHz. At the high frequency range this is actually a higher noise floor than my old Fireface 800. I'm asking because I'll have to return it if it is damaged. I've seen devices at less than a quarter of the price of this unit that have a lower noise floor at high frequencies.

View attachment 60731
Note: This is with channel gain set to 9 dB to achieve a -10 dBV reference level.

Edit: This is of the ADC, not DAC. Sorry for the confusion.
I can't say for sure that there's nothing wrong with your unit, but noise like that is not uncommon in sigma-delta ADCs.

OP
K

kartoffelmann

@mansr I see. Well, on the RME forum the admin told me that it's normal too. So now I'm conflicted on whether I'm being paranoid.
comparison.png

With the 9dB of gain needed to reach -10 dBV input level, the high frequency noise on the UFX+ is almost 15 dB worse than on the FF800 and even appears to get outperformed by a now cheap Steinberg MR816, though sadly I don't have a 192 kHz test recording made of that one. Even a Korg Audio Kontrol 1 has a bit less noise in some areas of the spectrum, and that unit is as cheap as it gets. Of course noise floor isn't the only metric, I understand that, but still.... that's thing costs 1% of the UFX+. And the (unweighted, I presume) level meter in Audition shows -71 dB for the FF800 @ 192 kHz and -58 dB for the UFX+ @ 192 kHz. I feel like that's a serious downgrade, but I'm being told by the RME guy that this is not a big deal and made up for by all the other features ... maybe I'm suffering from some Dunning-Kruger here, but I completely disagree.

So, with what you said about sigma-delta ADCs, what kind of ADC for a reasonable price point might I look at to get a lower noise floor in high frequencies? I am sadly not very knowledgeable about all these technicalities.

Edit: Pardon, it's of course a NI Audio Kontrol 1, not a Korg.

mansr

Major Contributor
For most purposes, the noise level below 20 kHz is more important than above 80 kHz. I'd pick the UFX+ over the Audio Kontrol 1 (that looks like a Cirrus Logic ADC, btw), no question, if price wasn't a factor. There is rarely, if ever, any good reason to record at a higher rate than 96 kHz anyway.

So, with what you said about sigma-delta ADCs, what kind of ADC for a reasonable price point might I look at to get a lower noise floor in high frequencies? I am sadly not very knowledgeable about all these technicalities.
They're all sigma-delta, so a high-frequency noise hump is unavoidable. That said, some ADCs have a flat noise floor extending higher than others. The TI PCM4220, for example, is flat to beyond 50 kHz, and above that the noise level rises by about 20 dB.

dinglehoser

Forum Donor
I really like the Apogee Element series for the price - great DAC and ADC. Only hitch is that it's Mac only ... I wish they'd write some PC drivers for it. I'll run a quick FFT of the noise floor of my Element 24 and post.

dinglehoser

Forum Donor
Did my best to match your scaling and parameters (of which the FFT length is most important). This is at -10dBV reference, 192khz sample rate.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 10.13.43 AM.png

OP
K

kartoffelmann

@mansr That PCM4220 looks really promising. What's a good unit that has this or any other way to get this to work? I would need a way to use it as an input and route it into the UFX+ via ADAT or AES/EBU at 192 kHz 24 bit.

Do I understand correctly that the Tascam UH 7000 has this? If so, is that unit usable for my intents?

@dinglehoser Thanks, much appreciated. Could that unit just be used as a standalone converter?

Edit: Looking at the values, they seem pretty close to the Fireface 800. Would probably buy a new FF800 before buying this. Price would be about the same. Thoughts?

In general, any thoughts about the MOTU 8A? I have seen some measurements here and other places, but no noise floor at 192 kHz.

dinglehoser

Forum Donor
It can't be used completely standalone, unfortunately. That said, as long as it's plugged in to a Thunderbolt Mac, it'll go about acting like a standalone ADC once configured (I'm currently using it like this as an ADC for my phono pre).

I think "better" depends a lot on what you're trying to do with it, and why. FFT noise floors are fake and can be manipulated by increasing or decreasing the FFT length. For my purposes, I primarily look at whether/to what extent there are idle tones, as well as the actual unweighted floor within the audio band. The FF800 appears to have a few spurious tones above the audio band, which the E24 doesn't have. They're inaudible, though, so of more import to me is the in-band unweighted noise floor. Not sure what it is for the FF800, but it looks like it's around -108dBFS for the E24.

EDIT: -108dBFS at -10dBV; -115dBFS at +4dBu with no visible idle tones. Noise floor starts increasing above 35kHz.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
@mansr That PCM4220 looks really promising. What's a good unit that has this or any other way to get this to work? I would need a way to use it as an input and route it into the UFX+ via ADAT or AES/EBU at 192 kHz 24 bit.

Do I understand correctly that the Tascam UH 7000 has this? If so, is that unit usable for my intents?
The UH-7000 is more or less discontinued. It also has an issue with noise from the built-in power supply.

OP
K

kartoffelmann

@dinglehoser Those spurious tones might be from still having another device attached that was just powered off a few seconds earlier. Sadly that's the only test file I still had. Overall I think the E24 might be a slight upgrade, but not really worth it for me. Thanks for the effort tho!

@mansr Mh yeah I read about that. However I did end up finding this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/cheap-high-quality-adc.101/
I think I'm in love. It's probably gonna be this unless I have missed some important detail.

Top Bottom