• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Excellent Video on Principles and Applications of Acoustics

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One of the aspects of acoustics that gets confused often is measures taken for sound isolation and in-room sound treatment. This and many other principles of studio acoustic design is covered by John Storyk in this lecture video.

upload_2017-1-28_20-46-50.png

Alas, it is very long at 3 hours long! My advice is to still watch it but to reduce the pain of sitting there that long, speed up the video. He speaks so slowly that I could very well understand just about everything at 2X speed. Click on the gear in the youtube video bar and select the speed.

Also, there is a 15 minute intro in the beginning about architecture which can be skipped. Overall, this is a highly recommended watch.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Everything in the video is correct and applicable to home listening spaces with the exception of point he makes about first reflections and comb filtering. For that, I suggest reading my article on perceptual aspects of room acoustics: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/perceptual-effects-of-room-reflections.13/

In there I explain how recording the effect of comb filtering is not the same as acoustic version occurring in-room. As such John's demonstration of that effect is improper.

Top Bottom