• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Excellent Presentation on Headphone Measurements

ADU

Major Contributor
At 11:22 he mentioned that there are 4 headphones currently in the Market that come close to the full bandwith of the Harman Response. 2 are made by his company and the other 2 are made by Harman. I'm curious of the Harman products because the stealth is quite costly..

This is probably the wrong topic for this discussion since the focus is primarily on DCA. If you are looking for headphones with a very neutral, accurate response at a lower price point though, then I'd suggest at least keeping an open mind to some other options than just the products being discussed here by DCA and Harman.

EQ has some tradeoffs. But it can also do alot to improve the sound quality of some headphones. Especially some of the lower cost ones. So their out-of-box frequency response may not be quite as critical as it used to be. It is still best to try to get a headphone which is at least in the neutral ballpark though imo. And the Harman target is not necessarily the only or best gauge for this imho. (Others here will probably disagree with this though.)

There are other factors that I'd also personally give equal or even greater weight to when choosing a headphone though, nate. Like comfort, durability, reliability, cabling, driver symmetry, clarity, QC, and so forth. (I abhor headphones with single-sided cables, for example, though most of the headphones near my price point have this.) Convenience features might also be another important consideration on other people's headphone shopping lists. Though I usually prefer the more simple, traditional, wired variety, without alot of internal signal processing and other digital bells and whistles... preferably with double-sided cables. :)

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
For me, the talk put the data into perspective from a designer’s point of view. It can help a lot to have an expert put the pieces together in a coherent way.
One question I had, if the membrane/diaphragm is under tension, does the quality of the tensioning tend to deteriorate over time, either by stretching or the material, or loosening of its moorings?

Dan Clark

Audio Company
Really enlightening talk, thanks Dan. Very interesting and well explained how harmonic distortion can give the impression of detail. Explains why a particular brand whose headphones have very high distortion claim that they are the most detailed.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I've found that many people think of distortion as being hard-clipping in amps but it's obviously a more complex subject than that as transducer distortion occurs more gradually and tends to be dominated by lower-order distortion until it gets severe, whereas hard clipping in an amp is more abrupt and contains more high order harmonics at higher amplitude.

I thought a few analogies might be helpful to folk...

It was a good presentation, and the example of how distortion can color the sound was fascinating.

If anything, I think the presentation was detail-shy and not technical enough and left me with a lot of questions! How can a headphone create a 3D soundstage when the wavefront always hits the pinnae from the same angle? Also, apart from tuning the group delay, impulse response, and distortion, what are the advantages of non-DSP frequency response tuning? How does individual-specific HRTF computation fit in to statistical average approaches of finding a target preference curve like Harman 2018? How much do interpersonal anatomical variations stymie research on finding preference curves, especially considering the limited diversity in the subjects (e.g. differences between female and male subjects, or even interracial differences)? Finally, in a world of DSP and HRTF/otoacoustic emissions measurements/canal gain measurements, what can be gained from bypassing the pinnae in headphone design (i.e. IEMs)? what is lost?

The Harman research did note some gender related preferences. The Harman curve was derived as an aggregate of responses and so it represents a "typical" perspective, as well as both "amateur" and "pro" listeners, but it should be clear that it's kind of like the Pirate's Code, more of a guideline, really, and that there's an envelope of "reasonableness" that can surround variations to the curves... :)

The thing to remember about DSP is that it's used most typically for frequency response corrections. But this is limited in effect because if you have a standing wave null, you can't EQ it away. Things like 3D soundstage require your brain to receive crosstalk signals from the opposing ear, it's the absence of this that causes the "in your head" experience. I always thought this was a great little explanation:

"The pinna is the flap of skin surrounding our ears. Reflected sound off the pinna combines with the direct sound into the ear to create high frequency comb-filtering effects (typically above 6kHz). These effects change as a function of angle of arrival, so that each angle of arrival has a unique sound quality. Our brain uses this quality as one of the ways to localize sound at each ear individually. The effect seems most persuasive in the vertical realm, so it is reasonable to hypothesize that we localize horizontally mostly by time difference while in the vertical axis the pinna effect is used more."

So in essence what we have done with some of our AMTS work is address the vertical positioning of the image, where we've tried to engineer it so the soundstage is "to the front" rather than "15 degrees up." But side to side soundstage is handled with cross-feed or sometimes DSP, though to date I've never heard a DSP implementation that clicked for me. I know research in that is ongoing, I'm sure more on this will evolve.
Yes it was... and what Dan said was also true .. some member at ASR drew that FR chart and I am a member here :).
Dan, as of today, has my permission to use it in his presentation. :D
I really like his talk and honesty and matches with most of my views.

The plot was made by playing around with a graphic equalizer and matching what I heard with terminology used on various audio(phile and phool) forums.
Most terminology in the plot is widely accepted in the audio consumer world.

Yeah! I knew I saw the originator somewhere on this forum. Nice work! There are a number of acoustic engineering sources with similar graphs but I thought your use of terminology was very spot-on.
For me, the talk put the data into perspective from a designer’s point of view. It can help a lot to have an expert put the pieces together in a coherent way.
One question I had, if the membrane/diaphragm is under tension, does the quality of the tensioning tend to deteriorate over time, either by stretching or the material, or loosening of its moorings?

Depends on your materials and process. We have put a ton of engineering into stability over time.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There are a number of acoustic engineering sources with similar graphs

Yes, some examples: alas this interactive one below no longer exists. I PM'ed you the original (higher res) drawing as well.

descriptions.png

Katz also has something similar.

sound descriptors Katz.png

diablo

Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That makes sense. I listen at quite low volumes though. I don't know if distortion is still relevant at that level. I noticed that i'm more sensitive to this 60-80 area. At 20-40hz, you feel the vibrations more than hear. At 60-80hz it turns into a intruding sound to my ears. Maybe it's the harmonics of 20-40 area or maybe hum i don't know. That's the part i find annoying below 150hz when i boost the bass. In fact, if i lower the energy in that area, i can even use extreme levels of EQ like 20+db bass and still have somewhat ok sound. Feel like that area masks the both sub bass and punchy bass as well as clarity overall.
Well, that's quite interesting, I don't know if there is anything in "science" to describe your dislike for the 60-80Hz region, but in speakers I don't think you'd want a depression in the linearity in that area, so I wouldn't expect to want a deviation in that area in headphones unless there's somekind of specific pinna/headphone interaction going on for you there, but I don't remember seeing anything in eardrum measurements in dummy heads of speakers that suggests there should be a dip there, I mean an in room equalised flat response to a speaker was the starting point for some of the Harman research after which point they gave treble & bass controls to their subjects to manipulate a headphone that started of with the following response, and there's no 60-80Hz depression there:
Harman target baseline, GRAS 45CA.png

I mean there's a certain logic to the 80-150Hz hump in Stealth - the "low distortion lack of bass harmonics theory", but I'm not sure about your logic of the 60-80Hz depression that you like......but it doesn't matter ultimately, if you like it then that's the main thing.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, that's quite interesting, I don't know if there is anything in "science" to describe your dislike for the 60-80Hz region, but in speakers I don't think you'd want a depression in the linearity in that area, so I wouldn't expect to want a deviation in that area in headphones unless there's somekind of specific pinna/headphone interaction going on for you there, but I don't remember seeing anything in eardrum measurements in dummy heads of speakers that suggests there should be a dip there, I mean an in room equalised flat response to a speaker was the starting point for some of the Harman research after which point they gave treble & bass controls to their subjects to manipulate a headphone that started of with the following response, and there's no 60-80Hz depression there:
View attachment 194699

I mean there's a certain logic to the 80-150Hz hump in Stealth - the "low distortion lack of bass harmonics theory", but I'm not sure about your logic of the 60-80Hz depression that you like......but it doesn't matter ultimately, if you like it then that's the main thing.
Yeah it's probably a personal thing. I don't claim there is an objective reason to it. 60-80hz recession and 80-150hz bump are actually kinda similar things. If you don't elevate 80-150 but decrease the 60-80 area you essentially have a steeper fall off from 20hz< but 80-150hz area stays higher than 60-80 area. Perceptually similar.
As far as i know, harman curve isn't fine grained, high resolution curve. It's an averaged/smoothed curve. So i don't expect to see finer nuances.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah it's probably a personal thing. I don't claim there is an objective reason to it. 60-80hz recession and 80-150hz bump are actually kinda similar things. If you don't elevate 80-150 but decrease the 60-80 area you essentially have a steeper fall off from 20hz< but 80-150hz area stays higher than 60-80 area. Perceptually similar.
As far as i know, harman curve isn't fine grained, high resolution curve. It's an averaged/smoothed curve. So i don't expect to see finer nuances.
Actually, I had a thought, my HE4XX (planar) creates a wide hump centred around 70/80Hz if it doesn't seal properly followed by a pretty sharp drop off in the low bass (normal planar behaviour with loss of seal, where the hump occurs can vary with design of headphone) - maybe your planar isn't sealing as well to you & maybe you've got a similar hump in the frequency response when you wear it, hence you saying that it sounds better by depressing 60-80Hz whilst still saying you can boost the bass massively whilst sounding OK still - what I describe could fit both of your observations as the sharp roll off after 60Hz would require a large bass boost. Not sure how you can test for that theory besides trying out some different headphones that have a different overall physical design to see if they exhibit the same behaviour re your EQ strategy (your preference to depress 60-80Hz with EQ vs Harman Curve).....or try optimising the seal on your current planars to see if you can jiggle it around on your head to a different perception of the bass.

SamV

"The pinna is the flap of skin surrounding our ears. Reflected sound off the pinna combines with the direct sound into the ear to create high frequency comb-filtering effects (typically above 6kHz). These effects change as a function of angle of arrival, so that each angle of arrival has a unique sound quality. Our brain uses this quality as one of the ways to localize sound at each ear individually. The effect seems most persuasive in the vertical realm, so it is reasonable to hypothesize that we localize horizontally mostly by time difference while in the vertical axis the pinna effect is used more."

So in essence what we have done with some of our AMTS work is address the vertical positioning of the image, where we've tried to engineer it so the soundstage is "to the front" rather than "15 degrees up." But side to side soundstage is handled with cross-feed or sometimes DSP, though to date I've never heard a DSP implementation that clicked for me. I know research in that is ongoing, I'm sure more on this will evolve.

I did develop a method for measuring soundstage (and imaging) while I was at rtings, and I think your work supports my methodology. Although, our scoring/ranking wasn't based on listening tests due to a lack of resources, so the results should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Watching the video might be better than reading the article:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@SamV It looks like your previous HATS had to endure a Grado or Beyerdynamic headphone...

abm0

Forum Donor
How can a headphone create a 3D soundstage when the wavefront always hits the pinnae from the same angle?
Dr. David Griesinger has done a lot of work on this (i.e. source localization) and has found that frequency envelope shaping is enough to reproduce the key aspects that are necessary for the brain to perceive the sound as coming from realistic directions. He has a lot of conference powerpoints on his website, I don't remember which ones go into which technical details exactly but this video from his channel might be one of the better places to start:

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
But then seemed to back a little away from at the end when he was asked by an audience member about other possible target compensation curves than the Harman curve.
I don't think he did. He explained basically no one except Harman stepped up to the plate. If you wish to not come off as bitter maybe you want to avoid making untrue statements like that.

ADU

Major Contributor
I don't think he did. He explained basically no one except Harman stepped up to the plate. If you wish to not come off as bitter maybe you want to avoid making untrue statements like that.

I don't see it quite that way. But I appreciate your thoughts on this, markanini.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
This presentation by Dan Clark may be the most interesting piece I've heard (or read) since reading Toole and Olive years ago, and since joining up here at ASR. Clark's knowledge of subjective psychoacoustics is especially interesting.

The happy surprise is that his Company's top headphones are so highly regarded for critical listening. I'm not really a headphone guy -- unless I'm editing video in long sessions. In that case, I happily wear an AKG headphone that Amir unmitigatedly disliked. I like them because they can be worn all day without fatigue. Indeed, I often forget I have them on until my phone rings or such.
As with any other acoustic reproducer, after a while, your brain somewhat fills in for what your ears don't perceive.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
As with any other acoustic reproducer, after a while, your brain somewhat fills in for what your ears don't perceive.

Only up to a point and when the errors are too big or annoying the 'trick' does not work.
You can make it your brain more easy by using headphones that don't need much correction.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Only up to a point and when the errors are too big or annoying the 'trick' does not work.
You can make it your brain more easy by using headphones that don't need much correction.
You must find it mighty strange that the world once bought millions of AM radios and 78rpm records, and listened to them for great entertainment. Eh? Or up to a point, two channels often cause some spatial effect in others' hearing, but up to some point, not yours. How do you feel about that? ;)

"Music is the space between the notes" - Claude Debussy, not Mozart said this.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All things being equal and in a listening room that will not cause "noise pollution" to others in the vicinity:
Is there ever a time that a music listener would opt for a high-quality pair of headphones over an equally high-quality pair of full-range loudspeakers?

I don't mean to start acrimony at this specific post but I have never understood the allure of headphones over speakers.
I try to browse some of the headphone reviews/discussions, as time allows but...
Over the past 3 decades, I have owned 3 'high-quality' headphones and could never warm up to listening to them...

Dan Clark

Audio Company
All things being equal and in a listening room that will not cause "noise pollution" to others in the vicinity:
Is there ever a time that a music listener would opt for a high-quality pair of headphones over an equally high-quality pair of full-range loudspeakers?

I don't mean to start acrimony at this specific post but I have never understood the allure of headphones over speakers.
I try to browse some of the headphone reviews/discussions, as time allows but...
Over the past 3 decades, I have owned 3 'high-quality' headphones and could never warm up to listening to them...
I started out designing speakers and felt the same way until I got a headphone that pulled me a bit more into the experience.

But for me personally a huge part was having my brain sort out what headphone soundstage was. After that the detail retrieval and lack of distortion vs speakers pulled me in, not to mention the lack of crossover related weirdnesses, headphones just created a more coherent and immersive experience for making for a better overall experience.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But for me personally a huge part was having my brain sort out what headphone soundstage was.
That is the part that is like a wall for me.
I have even tried some familiar CDs recorded for 'binaural listening' and made more sense (*lol: to my brain) because DEconstructing a stereo mix must be made first (intended for L/R speakers), then a "headphone soundstage" REconstruction must replace it.
I may be wrong but it seems way above my brain's AI pay-grade.

Leiker535

I started out designing speakers and felt the same way until I got a headphone that pulled me a bit more into the experience.

But for me personally a huge part was having my brain sort out what headphone soundstage was. After that the detail retrieval and lack of distortion vs speakers pulled me in, not to mention the lack of crossover related weirdnesses, headphones just created a more coherent and immersive experience for making for a better overall experience.

My experience is the same as yours, although our trails are opposite!

Growing up around the hobby in Brazil, [good] speakers were never really accessible financially nor pragmatically (my parents would never tolerate even mid sized bookshelves at night), so I always resorted and associated the hobby with headphones. After 10 years of those two initial experiences (a beyer DT 880 and a Senn HD600) and a blazed trail of collectionism, I finally could buy a somewhat acclaimed pair of speakers for personal use...

...and I found the experience lacking. Sure, soundstage actually sounded like a stage in front of me, but aside from that naturalness, I could never not get eerie impressions from my room not being acoustically treated, some details "naturally" being much less evident in relation to headphones, some bass resonances and distortion when playing loud, or a certain "glare" some vocals and instruments had that just made everything fatiguing to my ears. Maybe someday I'll get a properly treated room with reference monitors, but until that I'll be happily asserted into headphones, and wishing sincerely to get a chance to get one from your company after seeing their reputation here and your talks!

Top Bottom