• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Excellent measuring 'all in one' DAC & Headphone Amps, under US$1000

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

What are the excellent measuring 'all in one' DAC + Headphone Amps, under US$1000?

And is there something coming from Topping @amirm ? A follow-up (maybe AKM version?) of the Topping DX7s ?

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What features do you need (inputs, EQ, etc. etc.)?

If all you want it to do is take a USB input and put it through headphones, my vote would be for the humble Apple USB-C dongle. I have both it and the Adi-2 DAC and am 100% satisfied with the sound from both. But only if you have sensitive phones ;)

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
What features do you need (inputs, EQ, etc. etc.)?

If all you want it to do is take a USB input and put it through headphones, my vote would be for the humble Apple USB-C dongle. I have both it and the Adi-2 DAC and am 100% satisfied with the sound from both. But only if you have sensitive phones ;)

I only need USB input and output to headphones. I use HQPlayer for all DSP.

I need it to drive Focal Utopia headphones well (low distortion).

Balanced outputs needed too, but not for right now - I will add analogue active speakers later.

Topping DX7 Pro looks interesting. Have to wait for release and measurements later.

RME ADI-2 DAC obviously ticks all the boxes too but I'm trying to compile a list of options.

tar

Check the Questyle CMA400i - seems to be a "warmer" RME ADI-2 DAC without the EQ functions and therefore cheaper. Unfortunately, no measurements, yet. Got one here, I like the quality build and it sounds good. But I am no audiophile expert :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would even say the 20 Ohm balanced out is perfect for the Utopia.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just seeing if we have new good options, 8 months later.

Or still RME ADI-2 DAC FS and DX7 Pro are best (objectively)?

Top Bottom