• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Exasound E32 current reference high-end DAC?

shawndo

Forum Donor
I've read a number of the reviews (Bryston/Berkley/Yggdrasil) that seem to refer to the Exasound as the reference high-end DAC, but the actual review of the Exasound shows it as not being recommended.

At this point, what is the best measured DAC regardless of pricing?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We don't have one yet. I recently purchased the RME ADI-2 Pro and a member is sending me the DAC-only version of it. Hope is that they could be the reference. Until I test them, we don't know.

While I have not tested it, the Benchmark HC-3 (or is it HG-3?) is the king of objective measurements based on review in stereophile. So if you need to buy something now, that would be my recommendation.

OP
shawndo

shawndo

Forum Donor
Thanks!
I have a first generation Yggdrasil with the USB acting up. I'm sending it in for troubleshooting and debating on upgrading it with the usb5 and analog 2 or just completely switching to something else. I suppose in any case I would want to sell the Yggdrasil so updating it to at least usb5 might be worth the effort and hold me over until more reviews come in.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
While I have not tested it, the Benchmark HC-3 (or is it HG-3?)

It's the DAC3, with suffixes for different versions/capabilities/prices

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/digital-to-analog-audio-converter

upload_2018-3-18_18-16-51.png

allhifi

We don't have one yet. I recently purchased the RME ADI-2 Pro and a member is sending me the DAC-only version of it. Hope is that they could be the reference. Until I test them, we don't know.

While I have not tested it, the Benchmark HC-3 (or is it HG-3?) is the king of objective measurements based on review in stereophile. So if you need to buy something now, that would be my recommendation.

amirm: No way: ASR IS the new 'Stereo Review' of the 21-st century ! Nice !!

pj

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
amirm: No way: ASR IS the new 'Stereo Review' of the 21-st century ! Nice !!

pj
I must say, it is a shockingly pleasant remark to read in public and in private. I have had manufactures come to me and say that there is really not much left as far as press to examine gear from excellence in engineering and performance. That we are the only ones filling that void now.

I did not set out with such aspiration. Nor did I think we would get there so quickly. But for all of us concerned, it is happening. Access to gear from manufacturers is getting easier every day. Respect for what we do increasing. And protests to the contrary, decreasing.

It is still early stages though so I am not taking my eye off the road. :) But it does warm my heart to hear comments such as you expressed. Much appreciated.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Because in the age of mass media and easy information access, "mythology" in audio is a fast diminishing asset. Hard data/ facts being a fast appreciating one !

Top Bottom