• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Examples of good usability in hi-fi equipment

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Regardless of performance, please share your experience with equipment which has made a great impression on your perception of great usability.
How about something I really hate. Like the big input volume knobs on my Denon 4700H AVR, and the Marantz 7703 and the 7701's that I owned prior. I guess they are both of the same parts supplier and circuit design. Both have these detents that are so soft and vague they probably should be there at all. I dare you to turn either knob and "try" to actually stop on the detent, the whole deal is just so stupid to me. I think Amir mentions in his latest 4800H review that at least one of the knobs have been finally improved.
Then there's the designed in velocity sensitive volume controls I hate, but that's a different deal and maybe just me??

OP
tomchris

tomchris

I can literally think of many hundreds of vintage pieces I own or have owned that fit the 'great impressions' and 'tactile enjoyment in operating' the OP is asking about.

I don't know where to start, so I won't. :)
Given you vast experience with vintage equipment, don't you have some favorites with regard to intuitive design and layout of controls?

jae

Major Contributor
Maybe slightly off the mark of what you're looking for in terms of tactility but those modern cheap linkplay streamer modules like Wiim etc. are great to me in terms of usability because you can control them entirely though a phone, tablet, or PC, they are fully integrated with all major streaming services, compatible with voice assistants/home automation, seamless control of different audio zones and so on. Also, it has the potential improve with software updates. It's inconvenient not to use them for most people. I'm a lover of big nice-feeling knobs and in the past criticised most products without them... but any product that can remove entire devices from the chain while maintaining or even improving performance, saving time, and adding foolproof features gets a nod from me.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bought this circa 1980s Kenwood tuner just because of it parlor trick motorized auto-search tuning. There are a lot of better-performing tuners but the charm of that crude-sounding electric motor physically tuning in stations perfectly every time (on this unit, at least) is a real kick. I especially like the final stage of the process as it makes final tweaks with an "ernt-ernt-ernt" noise. It's sort of steam-punk in its own way. The downside, of course is that there's no silky-smooth tuning knob to twirl.
AD672F39-47A9-428C-8B1B-106911F303C2.jpeg

JktHifi

I like these functions:
  1. The Direct button below here when I play music normal to loud but when I play at night which is people are sleeping, I push Loudness button so Bass and Treble can pick-up Vocal or mid.
  2. D1 and D2 will be blinking when music stop playing.
  3. Automaticaly go to stand-by when not being used for 20 minutes.
There 8 inputs which are more than enough for me:
  1. D1 for player/streamer
  2. D2 for airplay/bluetooth receiver
  3. Line 1 for DAC 1
  4. Line 2 for DAC 2
  5. Line 3 for DAC 3
  6. Line 4 for DAC 4
  7. Line 5 for Portable player
  8. Phono for Turntables

This amp has been serving me for almost 10 years which means VERY RELIABLE.
F8F0C256-194E-466B-A6BF-2BB708E02CFE.jpeg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Given you vast experience with vintage equipment, don't you have some favorites with regard to intuitive design and layout of controls?

There's layout and usability along with almost the ability to operate good ones in the dark. So not myriad of tiny black switches you can't see or a whole lot of knobs that all look the same in a row etc.

Just thinking of integrated amplifiers, here's just a few that popped into my head. Many of these I have in my collection or have had:

I like the classic Yamaha CA-xxx series, the CA-610 as an example below. Nice positive paddle switches, solid grub screwed volume and selectors made of aluminium.

(all internet pics)
1678945592404.png

The symmetric Marantz models of early Standard Radio Corp design like the 1060 right through to the late 1970s 1152/1180DC:

1678945858910.png

1678945811700.png

Sony had a range about 1976/7 which was lovely, very easy to operate with excellent and positive controls- all built like mini battleships.

TA-5650 Vfet
1678947279173.png

In the 1980s, good design pretty much went out the window, along with fashion! And angles, flat controls and lots of plastic became the norm. Lots of flat panels, 'touch' controls and very few actual knobs to grab hold of. More time was spent peering at the tiny writing and lining up your fingers to push buttons than listening to music! It was not a great period IMO, be it Japanese or US made stuff. Think SAE and SUMO, ML etc. It was all black and flat with random angles, touch up/down buttons and rows of red LEDs.

Late 80s things got a lot better and into the early 90s there was some lovely design, again from Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Rotel, Marantz, Denon, and much of the product of course was now black finish. Harder to see controls and markings, but easier on the eye in many ways.

Yamaha AX-xxx series about 1990/91. Yamaha finally softened the edges, and added satin finish and rounded knobs- gone are all the sharp angles and putrid design of the mid 80s.
1678947537287.png

Sony's 1987/8 TAF-xxx series. Sony was finally softening HiFi with scalloped solid knobs and only kept just enough of the hard edges to allow last year's models and this years models to mostly match up.
1678947652213.png

Rotel's early 90s RA/B-xxx ranges are stylish still to this day. The controls are simple, but sometimes IMO a bit small on my fingers.
1678947753684.png

Think of the classic Pioneer A300/A400 from 1991/2. Just a lovely amp to use with no frills:
1678947922196.png

By the time silver came around again in the late 90s early 2000s, most of the major manufacturers had given up on proper 2 channel HiFi. One of the exceptions was Sony who still had a small range of decent 2 channel gear, some in gold, some in silver/black.

The FA-xES range (a few models) was very nice and a delight to operate:
1678948347535.png

And then we have sources, tuners, decks, processors, preamps, power amps, CD players etc.

Last edited:

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will always miss the feel, touch, design and adjustment of the right volume with my Classé Audio DR 6!

Paradoxically, I have a lot of trouble finding the right volume level with dac preamp like the RME adi 2 and digital volume controls in general .

888CLA6.promo_.jpg

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Regardless of performance, please share your experience with equipment which has made a great impression on your perception of great usability.

Specifically, I am focused on the tactile enjoyment of operating a piece of equipment. For example, the usefulness of a certain layout or selective use of switches, knobs or buttons etc.

When I got my turntables hooked back up a few years ago, I went looking for an appropriate preamp and found this old Luxman C120a.

0104211606_HDR_copy_800x345.jpg

This was from a time when preamps actually had a useful range of tone controls (and could do more than just attenuate the volume), and the tactile response was more than an afterthought. All the switches and knobs have a satisfying 'thunk' and weight, and the volume control is just butter smooth.

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
When I got my turntables hooked back up a few years ago, I went looking for an appropriate preamp and found this old Luxman C120a.

View attachment 272234

This was from a time when preamps actually had a useful range of tone controls (and could actually do more than just attenuate the volume), and the tactile response was more than an afterthought. All the switches and knobs have a satisfying 'thunk' and weight, and the volume control is just butter smooth.
I really like the look of the switches.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
For tape decks, I'd vote for the Nakamichi BX series. I have a 100 in silver and a 125 in black. I love the control layout for these and the vertical VU meters.

Phono-wise , I always enjoy using my B&O Beogram 1700. Perfect simplicity. Bummer that the cartridges are so limited and expensive.

I own an ailing black & rosewood B&O Beomaster 4000 receiver. Love the look, but it was a certainly pain to use with the wide length compared to other U.S. components, all of the special plugs needed for speakers, tape decks, and the very close together RCA jacks. Usability problems kind of trumped the face design.

From a receiver or integrated amp standpoint, I'd give the overall nod to 70s Marantz and Yamaha equipment. I think they are a bit more symmetrical and have more logical placement of controls than some Kenwood ones. The late 70s Harman-Kardon 330, 430 and up series is beautiful too.

Just a few.

Trell

Major Contributor
I like my RME ADI-2 DAC FS for my desktop usage. Nice rotary encoders for quick change of volume as well as tone controls. I like the slow ramp up of volume on power up or changing the output. The LCD display is very useful with various information just a press on the encoders away.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
RME anything are good examples of terrible usability. I have two RME products, a Fireface UC and a HSDPE AES32. What makes them awful? Totalmix. It is a complete nightmare of a program. I suppose it might make sense to an audio professional, but if you are an audio hobbyist it is far from intuitive. Every time I stumble across a road block I have to Google the answer or consult the manual (which may not tell you what you have to do). All that Googling reveals many threads in many other forums complaining about Totalmix, so I know I am not the only one. For example, I just installed the latest version of REW. Despite keeping my Totalmix settings the same, I am no longer able to assign channels in REW. I will eventually figure it out, but it is more painful than it needs to be.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cambridge Audio Streamers - Chromecast, Airplay, DLNA, Roon Ready, Spotify, Tidal - all auto-switching and generally stable. Well done.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally go the other way when I define "usability" of a component. I want Bauhaus simplicity and elegance. For me the fewer knobs and controls the better. That's why I love my Octo Research Dac 8 Pro which does so much while requiring so few controls to accomplish it.

dac8pro_m.jpg

Trell

Major Contributor
RME anything are good examples of terrible usability. I have two RME products, a Fireface UC and a HSDPE AES32. What makes them awful? Totalmix. It is a complete nightmare of a program. I suppose it might make sense to an audio professional, but if you are an audio hobbyist it is far from intuitive. Every time I stumble across a road block I have to Google the answer or consult the manual (which may not tell you what you have to do). All that Googling reveals many threads in many other forums complaining about Totalmix, so I know I am not the only one. For example, I just installed the latest version of REW. Despite keeping my Totalmix settings the same, I am no longer able to assign channels in REW. I will eventually figure it out, but it is more painful than it needs to be.
All (most?) pro tools in any field have a learning curve, and Totalmix is no exception.

Being unable to assign channels from an updated REW with no changes to Totalmix settings is Totalmix’s fault? It’s a mixer along with FX, and that’s not something REW would ever see as this is part of the driver. On Windows one can set via the driver settings the number of channels visible to the OS so you might have changed that.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Before the days of smart phones, automated DRC, and all the rest, this super handy
little guy has been making measurements and balancing systems here since the 1980s.
It still works perfectly and I find myself reaching for it now and then for a quick eq.

I always wondered who the marketing idiot was that named a lot of there stuff "Realistic"?
That just sucked. LOL
2022-08-18-blog-01.jpg

gnarly

Major Contributor
I've become a fan of using proaudio gear for hi-fi.
Like, I use this mixer a lot. Functionality that's crazy huge, despite being entry level in the live sound world.
The tactile feel of FADERS for level control is awesome compared to rotary knobs. And LED level indicators on everything....
But the entire board can be controlled by wi-fi or Ethernet apps, in which case the motorized faders move themselves to sync with the apps.
x-32 compact.jpg

Using those apps for the mixer on a android tablet or touch screen PC, kinda got me used to touchscreen.
Given that, and a move to the Q-Sys platform for handling I/O interface and speaker management, I'm now pretty much all wireless touch screen.

And have to say I don't miss real knobs, switches, buttons much anymore ...or the occasional flippin problems they incur. No more deox the pots, switch contacts, etc...yay!

Q-sys allows any remote desired to be build...any parameter in the design can be put on a remote.
For example, anything in the following design schematic can be put onto a separate remote; EQs, xovers, whatever, and every component in the design expands to allow adjustment (like the level faders shown or delay boxes). Or expands for monitoring...like the amplifier window that follows.

So for me anyway...time to kiss hi-fi knobs and switches and such, goodbye...

syn11 qsys schematic snip 12-14-22.JPGqsys amp monitor.JPG

Vini darko

Major Contributor
The relay volume control on my sabaj a10h , love it. How have I coped with the crappy alternatives for so long :facepalm:

Top Bottom