• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ex Apple homepod designed launches 'triphonic' speaker

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/17/...i-speaker-apple-designer-death-star-triphonic

1621252858561.png

McFly

So is an LXmini but its worshipped

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
They are making very bold claims. But at $1800 for one this is way overpriced.

"Syng is making big claims about the spatial audio capabilities of the Cell Alpha. It’s styling it as the world’s first “Triphonic” speaker, because it offers spatial audio capabilities beyond the stereo audio that’s long been the traditional standard. In practical terms it’s supposed to allow the speaker to fill an entire room with surround sound audio, creating the impression that specific sounds or instruments are coming from distinct areas of the room. There are three microphones built into the speaker’s stand to measure the geometry of the space it’s in, similar to the HomePod, which helps it create the impression of surround sound using just a single speaker. "

jonfitch

How about just make a Homepod with Bluetooth and optical input and you can have my money.

mononoaware

Probability/chance drunk guest makes poor judgment and urinates into the Triphonic - 100%.

It even has alignment marking's for the stream.

I found this break apart image which is may be more interesting. . .
1621260493_356_Syng-Cell-Alpha-Audio-Speakers-All-Encompassing-360-Degrees-of-Sound.jpg

Second thought, someone may attach garden hose to the bottom of the stem/tube and use it as a sprinkler. . .

Sorry designer. . .

To be fair if the Apple HomePod was transparent it would be almost equal in looks (the stand/stem part makes the Triphonic extra funny looking).

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Looks like he left behind everything he had learned about design when he left Apple....
Looks kind of harman/kardony (or is that harman/kardonesque?) ;)
1621342437686.png

maybe with a little "soundsphere" thrown in?

1621342484238.png

As the author of Ecclesiastes put it
There is nothing new under the sun.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair if the Apple HomePod was transparent it would be almost equal in looks (the stand/stem part makes the Triphonic extra funny looking).

This. All you'd have to do is paint it solid white and would be as Apple as it gets.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probability/chance drunk guest makes poor judgment and urinates into the Triphonic - 100%.

It even has alignment marking's for the stream.

I found this break apart image which is may be more interesting. . .
1621260493_356_Syng-Cell-Alpha-Audio-Speakers-All-Encompassing-360-Degrees-of-Sound.jpg

Second thought, someone may attach garden hose to the bottom of the stem/tube and use it as a sprinkler. . .

Sorry designer. . .

“Lung?” Interesting nomenclature on that diagram.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Just look what it did to the cactus!

1621349587369.png

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The way the stand attaches to the elongated pole piece of the bottom woofer is, interesting, as is the way it's designed to work in 3s.

mononoaware

“Lung?” Interesting nomenclature on that diagram.

Also. . . “Head sink”.
I thought it was “heat-sink”.
Maybe if they use words like “Lung” and “Head” referring to body parts makes it seem more “organic” and cool product and give the user something to “talk” about.

Last edited:

milezone

Forum Donor
Looks like he left behind everything he had learned about design when he left Apple....

That's a basic opinion... please elaborate? I personally don't like the incorporation of a pedestal/stem do celebrate (?) the design. I seems a bit antiquated or not well integrated. That said the speaker looks kinda cool. Sort of a hybrid between the HK Soundsticks and the Homepod concept as someone mentioned previously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom