• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EVGA NU Audio Pro Review (Internal Sound Card)

There are better results at the smaller output voltages ? Can be use it for measurements ?

Vasr

Major Contributor
And I have not seen the Tantalum cap on the picture either. So I don't know where did they put it.

Here is a hi-res picture of AKM chip for L and R on the main board. The Tantalum ones are the gold with stripe (EC102 and EC103) on either side of the AKM chip I believe.
evga_nu_audio_pro_surround_review_27.jpg

Interestingly, the daughter-board for the other 6 channels using the same AKM chip do not have the Tantalum capacitors.
evga_nu_audio_pro_surround_review_29.jpg

Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor
Can it be used as a multi channel DAC to build active crossover?

Sure. The device looks like a 8-channel audio device for Windows software. You can feed anything you want to each channel and then connect the corresponding output to anything you want. I am not sure if it handles the .1 for the sub any differently.

3125b

Major Contributor
The performance certainly isn't bad, but unfortunately these internal soundcards always have severe driver issues sooner or later.
Apparently with the first EVGA Nu Audio it was so bad that many people quit using it, there were a surprinsing number of complaints in the computer forums I usually visit considering that not many people bought a 300€ sound card in the first place.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The performance certainly isn't bad, but unfortunately these internal soundcards always have severe driver issues sooner or later.
Apparently with the first EVGA Nu Audio it was so bad that many people quit using it, there were a surprinsing number of complaints in the computer forums I usually visit considering that not many people bought a 300€ sound card in the first place.
That's true, wonder if it would work with any other OS than Windows, too.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
That's true, wonder if it would work with any other OS than Windows, too.
The previous one did, but you had to downgrade the firmware to the original version, and there were some limitations. I haven't checked to see if any new quirks have been added to the kernel since, so it might have improved.
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3050535

wwenze

Major Contributor
This card is for those who use a full size ATX board, and before complaining why don't make it external, if they do this, it will either be more expensive, or have poorer performance. Also, it is an unbalanced soundcard with no adjustable analog I/O voltage, so even if the measurements rival some studio interfaces, they can't be used in the same way.

An owner of a full size atx board in a full size atx casing today is likely a gamer who needs 8 channels at zero latency.

And also the RGB

evga-nu-audio.jpg

DosThou

Man I must be getting old. I'd have been into these internal sound cards years ago if I still like to tinker with my PCs but nowadays I just want things to work in the most hassle free way and external USB DAC/ADC like the ones Creative offer would be my first choice if I ever need one. Otherwise I'd just settle with whatever my board has especially for mics. Also, I'd rather save those limited PCI-E slots for stuff like NVME cards instead.

Considering the number of Amazon reviews on these internal cards, seems there's still a market for them though.

mansr

Major Contributor
An owner of a full size atx board in a full size atx casing today is likely a gamer who needs 8 channels at zero latency.
I'd have been into these internal sound cards years ago if I still like to tinker with my PCs but nowadays I just want things to work in the most hassle free way and external USB DAC/ADC like the ones Creative offer would be my first choice if I ever need one. Otherwise I'd just settle with whatever my board has especially for mics. Also, I'd rather save those limited PCI-E slots for stuff like NVME cards instead.
I have a full-size ATX board in my workstation. The only built-in interfaces are storage (NVMe, SATA), 10G Ethernet, and USB. No sound. It does have 7 x16 PCIe 4.0 slots, though.

Back to the card under review, is this the one that has a USB host controller interfacing a USB audio device inside?

DosThou

lol man that sounds like a highly specialized ATX board (maybe for bitcoin mining, but then why would you need a sound card for such a board?), mind if you tell me its model?

mansr

Major Contributor

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the EVGA NU Audio Pro 7.1 Surround DAC, headphone amplifier and ADC. It was kindly purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $300 on Amazon including free shipping.

I like the slick coloring and logo:
View attachment 108041

But I hate, hate, hate dealing with internal sound cards!

Me too, but do you know of any external ones that may test/measure as good as this one? And if there is such a thing (ext. sound card), how is it connected/interface with a typical PC, like USB?

Veri

Master Contributor
Back to the card under review, is this the one that has a USB host controller interfacing a USB audio device inside?
I believe both Nu Audio products utilise an XMOS chip combined with a PCI>USB scheme. A glorified USB device rather than a 'sound card', but I guess it's fine for most end-users... I suppose they don't notice the difference as long as the device is stable and does its work.

mansr

Major Contributor
I believe both Nu Audio products utilise an XMOS chip combined with a PCI>USB scheme. A glorified USB device rather than a 'sound card', but I guess it's fine for most end-users... I suppose they don't notice the difference as long as the device is stable and does its work.
Someone mentioned lower latency as a possible motivation for using an internal sound card. Being a USB device in disguise, this one obviously doesn't offer that advantage.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The previous one certainly used USB internally - it's discussed in the evga forum thread I linked earlier. I'd expect this one to be similar - it might be visible in the board level photos.

Tks

Major Contributor
AVR's need to take notes. Look at that ADC btw, like damn.

For any who missed it, the only reason EVGA even makes such a thing, is because their CEO is an audiophile. (Though happy to report, doesn't believe in cable snake oil somehow, so he's a bit special in that regard). Here's a video of his audio setup he's been working years on.

Maybe Amir (or JohnYang for a Topping collaberation) can contact him or his marketing team as a consultant on taking their next product to the next level.

bennetng

Major Contributor
For gaming soundcards I guess Creative is the only one who still uses a dedicated PCIE controller. Asus and others used some CMedia chips (they make both PCI and USB chips).
The latest studio PCIE soundcard with native PCIE chip should be HDSPe AIO Pro
https://www.rme-audio.de/hdspe-aio-pro.html

Nice review!

I am pondering building a HTPC that is capable of light gaming to replace my AVR. This will allow me to have all my gizmos in one box that I can easily upgrade when desired. Amps are amps are amps but the biggest hassle is the constant HDMI upgrades, various TV tech and whatever gizmo my wife likes so I'm at the point of going back to HTPC.

Of course, it would be cool to have Atmos thrown in but I'm a few years out and have the time for that to happen. The EVGA CEO has the audio disease so maybe that can happen in the future.

Part of my smoke and mirrors project. My wife would love to get rid of the Blu Ray player and that stupid AVR because...yeah. A computer with a Blu Ray she would like as the case can be whatever her heart desires. I'll get the sound card that matches up to my audio needs which is fine because it is a "computer" and not that annoying audo related garbage....right? My amplifiers will be hidden as they are now, I'll just have more channels to bury.

My speakers/subs/surround speaker project is almost done but my laptop connected to the TV is getting old so, my next audio surround processor will be stealthed out as a computer. :D

Thanks again, Amir--good to see you testing the computer based audio items from the dark side. Now to figure out a good Blu Ray drive, Asus? Pioneer? LG? It will be a year or two, it will be rather nice to just look at sound cards and not invest in a mega AVR that will be obsolete before the warranty is up. Upgrade the part that goes obsolete and leave everything else alone? Madness!

Top Bottom