• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Everything Matters vs Nothing Really Matters

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm still setting up and optimizing my new system, waiting for speakers to break in, messing with the turntable, rearranging furniture, etc.

But the differences in setting up my sources couldn't be more stark.

Digital:

1. Plug ethernet cable (currently Belden Cat 5 (or is it 6?), but it doesn't really matter as it's <2 meter) from Linsys Velops hotspot into Devialet
2. Add Devailet as output in Roon
3. Done.

Turntable (granted, the Gyro SE, as a suspended table is more tweaky than average):

1. Replace inverted thrust bearing with new 7/32 inch SI3N4 grade 3 ball bearing.
2. Oil bearing and fill sump reservoir
3. Replace suspension original tower decoupler with new bearing-based suspension and Delrin spacers
4. Replace suspension original metal washers with PTFE
5. Level turntable using feet ferrules
6. Weigh tonearm + cartridge + armboard. Any underage from combined 1kg weight will be added later to balance via under chassis weights.
7. Mount tonearm on arm board.
8. Mount tonearm + arm board to chassis using Delrin spacers, attaching arm board grounding cable to mounting screw such that it touches an unpainted part of the chassis. Add balancing weights.
9. Re-level turntable. Adjust suspension springs to ensure proper clearance between chassis and plinth, ensure proper 'bounce'. Re-level turntable again after adjusting springs.
10. Adjust tonearm height / VTA
11. Adjust cartridge VTF
12. Adjust cartridge azimuth
13. Check cartridge alignment vs OEM, Stevenson, Lofgren, Baerwald, or DIN alignment.
14. Adjust cartridge overhang and angle to meet alignment
15. Test platter speed
16. Adjust motor to fix speeds
17. Adjust cartridge capacitance loading

So far, I'm only up to #11....

And, being analog, all of that stuff actually matters and is measurable. There is no snake oil here. That's just how fiddly vinyl is.

Shocking, really.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
snip................................................

And, being analog, all of that stuff actually matters and is measurable. There is no snake oil here. That's just how fiddly vinyl is.

Shocking, really.

Not shocking. Not even surprising. I'm with Old Listener. Why do you think we ditched all that stuff? BTW, do you have a record cleaner yet? :p

I would suggest a linear tracking arm btw. o_O

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Not shocking. Not even surprising. I'm with Old Listener. Why do you think we ditched all that stuff? BTW, do you have a record cleaner yet? :p

I've actually never invested in a record cleaner, but most of the vinyl I own is pristine, so not many dirty records.

That being said, there are those that argue that even pristine records need a good wash to get rid of manufacturing flash and other crud...and they're probably right.

But record cleaners are just so damn expensive for what they really do.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I've actually never invested in a record cleaner, but most of the vinyl I own is pristine, so not many dirty records.

That being said, there are those that argue that even pristine records need a good wash to get rid of manufacturing flash and other crud...and they're probably right.

But record cleaners are just so damn expensive for what they really do.

See my post above. Dip, spin, remove, wipe with very fine microfiber cloth and air dry.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

For me, linear tracking arms are just one step too far....big, expensive, ugly, and design to perfect the distortions inherent in a pivoted tonearm.

But why bother?

If I want perfection, I'll listen to digital.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, linear tracking arms are just one step too far....big, expensive, ugly, and design to perfect the distortions inherent in a pivoted tonearm.

But why bother?

If I want perfection, I'll listen to digital.

The setup man, the setup experience. Try something like the old Souther Triquartz. Not ugly, made of Quartz rods and planes. The neat thing is every adjustment you make effects all the other possible adjustments. So you need the calm mind of a zen master to set one up. You have to pre-distort in your mind in three dimensions about 5 factors that will be effected by everything you do. So some early steps are in the wrong direction so the final result is right. You'll never be as satisfied as when you do get all the parameters of this arm where you intend upon the final step. Ask me how I know.....go ahead and ask?

It works wonderfully, and once adjusted everything stays put permanently. A pivoted arm is too easy. As well as having inherent inaccuracies built into the very idea.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Get a record cleaner.., You will feel all special as you take care of and respect the vinyl ( also this translates into self care and respect so it might make you a better person) , slow life down live in the moment , you can even bang out a bit of meditation while you are at it.

Ah , clean and new your records will sound like it’s 70’s New York and your living in some loft apartment with that waitress and her liberal freinds discovering life a new ..

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a one time noise and vibration researcher who worked on record players and how they work and their shortcomings Item 3 has me intrigued.
I strip clean and rebuild my turntables every few years just for the fun of it, but I am a masochist and mechanical engineer. I use a parallel tracking arm (obviously)... :)

I feel a strip and rebuild of my ebay purchased EMT coming on - I have been putting it off for a couple of years.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Where your records come from (UK in 2017)
labels-for-copies-of-a-vinyl-record-by-the-eagles-are-seen-in-a-picture-id631471032

new-master-record-of-definitely-maybe-by-oasis-is-inserted-into-a-picture-id631470998

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
As a one time noise and vibration researcher who worked on record players and how they work and their shortcomings Item 3 has me intrigued.
I strip clean and rebuild my turntables every few years just for the fun of it, but I am a masochist and mechanical engineer. I use a parallel tracking arm (obviously)... :)

I feel a strip and rebuild of my ebay purchased EMT coming on - I have been putting it off for a couple of years.

Out of that whole list, why that particular one?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The setup man, the setup experience. Try something like the old Souther Triquartz. Not ugly, made of Quartz rods and planes. The neat thing is every adjustment you make effects all the other possible adjustments. So you need the calm mind of a zen master to set one up. You have to pre-distort in your mind in three dimensions about 5 factors that will be effected by everything you do. So some early steps are in the wrong direction so the final result is right. You'll never be as satisfied as when you do get all the parameters of this arm where you intend upon the final step. Ask me how I know.....go ahead and ask?

It works wonderfully, and once adjusted everything stays put permanently. A pivoted arm is too easy. As well as having inherent inaccuracies built into the very idea.

Okay, how do you know?

bobhol

I think that Digital might be a bit more complicated. Does Roon come preconfigured exactly as you want it. How about correct cables. For myself I'm using a Chrome Cast-Audio. worked fine. My son comes over and installs Google Music on a PC in a different room and now my CCA isn't working the same.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, how do you know?

Because a friend has owned one for more than a decade. I've been the one to set it up for him 3 times now. Two from cartridge changes and one from bearing being replaced in his platter.

Quite the set up nightmare. But it is an elegant looking, very high performance bit of gear that stays adjusted. We did have to replace the cartridge wiring once. Maybe the best arm I have ever had any experience with.

Mainly glad I don't have LP and haven't for many years now.

Top Bottom