• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Everyone has that box of cords/cable/interconnects..

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My aim is to have several boxes, with some sort of order. My Raspberry pi habit has added to the mess. 75 Ohm is on its way out.

USB A,B,C,lightning, DVI, Micro, Mini, HDMI, micro-HDMI, XLR, RCA, speaker, Cat-5, SD card read/write, power supplies, etc. And extension cords.

(yeah, those are KEF wireless and a sub over there)
export - 1 (1).jpeg

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use large ziploc bags labeled by type in a filing cabinet drawer....

You can see some ziplocs on the top left. Sorting USB cables by type. And larger compression bags for Cat-5.

Katji

Major Contributor
:) I came here from RSS feed so I could see the bigger picture.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The first of ten signs of a specific neurological disorder.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah I need to sort out mine. You make a change or mod to the system and go "maybe I have the cable I need in the mess somewhere" but go and buy a new one anyway as you couldn't be bothered going through it.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming along. The stretchy exercise bands only resemble wire. so they don't count.

Old streamers and laptop power supplies take up too much space. And I have a whole box of USB-A&B, vs USB-C/lightning. Speaker cable on the right (second canvas from the bottom, just after cat-5) and interconnects on the bottom left.

export2 - 1.jpeg

Koloth

Sh**.

Came to this thread expecting to have my neurosis confirmed as quite normal after all....
only to find out that if this amount is considered thread-worthy I truly have an issue.

I have a box bigger than any pictured above only with pc-internal data cables (I have f*king IDE cables!) Another box for external data cables (USB, firewire, ethernet, e-sata... i really loved e-sata). Another box for video cables (including about a dozend vga-dvi adapters of all sorts, s-video, goddamn SCART...) and finally a box for audio cables... Oh and then there's the non-cable pc internals in another box yet... (riser boards, RAM, screws, cages, motherboard shields, little fans and little rubber bands to decouple those fans from the case, cpu-cooler mounting plates for decades old sockets...)

Last edited:
OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sh**.

Came to this thread expecting to have my neurosis confirmed as quite normal after all....
only to find out that if this amount is considered thread-worthy I truly have an issue.

I have a box bigger than any pictured above only with pc-internal data cables (I have f*king IDE cables!) Another box for external data cables (USB, firewire, ethernet, e-sata... i really loved e-sata). Another box for video cables (including about a dozend vga-dvi adapters of all sorts, s-video, goddamn SCART...) and finally a box for audio cables... Oh and then there's the non-cable pc internals in another box yet... (riser boards, RAM, screws, cages, motherboard shields, little fans and little rubber bands to decouple those fans from the case, cpu-cooler mounting plates for decades old sockets...)
This is in a Manhattan apartment...does that make it better?

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL, I have no idea what I have, shit in boxes everywhere, need to do some serious house cleaning of stuff I just don't need anymore.
But you never know if S-Video cables will make a comeback. :rolleyes::facepalm:

Yes - when I moved from the suburbs to a NYC apartment in 2018, I had to make some choices about obsolete technology. A lot of old PC connectors went out, S-video, component Video, etc.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But you never know if S-Video cables will make a comeback. :rolleyes::facepalm:

I had to find one the other day so I could capture a VHS recording as an MKV file. I also had to borrow a VCR, buy a cheap USB capture device and find and learn how to use some open source video capture and editing software. This made my wife very happy, but I thought it was *a lot* of effort just to watch our wedding again :)

Robin L

Master Contributor
I had to throw out boxes of the stuff before I moved. I'm not missing any of it.

Michael Klein

Very tidy. I love the way you store your items. I would use that way to store my DVI cable and HDMI

Top Bottom