• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EverSolo Z8 DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 67 20.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 258 77.9%

• Total voters

holbob

It's got a mobile phone control app as well.

Quick google shows some colours on the vu meters on the display on some of the images and no colours on the display on some of the images! So I assume it's configurable?

PeteL

Major Contributor
we have been proven times after times.
A good chip is simply the upper limit of what a DAC can achieve. it does not guarantee any minimum performance.
Of course, it is easy to mess up and there are a few exemples given. But Bottom line, any DAC chips manufacturer has absolutely no benefit in getting their IC in products that blows. In order to even assess the performance, ESS or AKM or name it themselves have had to come up with a reference design that works. A chip on it's own don't do anything. If they developped the chip, they have the electronic design to go with it and will share it with any manufacturer. That's key to their success, It's well documented to make it work. They give you the circuit. Now of course proper PCB construction is a skill not everybody have, proper noise and grounding management and such considerations but in the end if you follow closely the applications notes, if you end up with something significantly poorer, well, you screwed up and should go back to work, or do something else but the numbers DAC chips gives you, they are not pulled out of a hat... The thing is, many think that they can just market their products just from having the said chip and are penny pinching here and there on parts specs, maybe discard some stuff, or are just lazy with parts they don't understands, and hope people won't notice and that's why a site like this is useful. Of course you won't get that if you don't properly measure, properly calculate, but let's not make this bigger than it is. This is application Engineering, not electronic design. ESS knows that if you do things how they tell you to, your product will perform, and they will give you all the support you need to achieve that. That's how they got where they are, by making it as easy to implement as they can. Now yes, There are many incompetents in this business, I don't disagree.

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great to see.
I own 3 zidoo products which have excellent internal components but have never really been tested for performance so i am pleased to see the purchases were not in vain. This reviews gives me a little comfort the others could be good too.
In general their line of products have great functionality and they continue to revise and improve along the way. Their support is ok, most everything coming via their website forums.
Their neo line of servers are excellent. I would love to see them measured as they could provide a matrix type product at a substantial discount.

0rangutan

Audiophonics France advised me this Z8 and I am delighted.
I found ergonomic flaws in it that I reported to the eversolo team and they immediately reacted with a new firmware. Incredibly professional.
I really like the sound and the look.
Here is the link to the forum thread :

Wishes suggestions Z8
That's an impressive response!

rozel

@amirm and/or other members, may I ask whether or not this DAC could be improved by using a quality Linear Power Supply ?

If so in what way please. ? Thank you

Veri

Master Contributor
The similarity of the PCB and the parts says it all. Even the website looks the same, has the same style.
Maybe it's me but I don't think they are much more than just a little similar
x7Sk9w2.jpg
rxDyTZ6.jpg

As for sites it wouldn't be surprising there are agencies building these sites for similar companies. Easy money.
So I'm not so sure. The VU meters are very un-like SMSL.

delta76

Major Contributor
The similarity of the PCB and the parts says it all. Even the website looks the same, has the same style.
Not sure if https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/index/model/DAC-Z8/target/DRfy4aRwwsRKKmVViAFMcQ==.html and https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/797.html look the same. they are typical Chinese product detail pages, but quite different

I would not be surprised that the two companies have close connections under the hood (maybe same founders/owners), but it's unclear to me they are more or less same products.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I too am impressed with the aesthetic beauty of this product, and the LCD screen is definitely part of that! However, it's not really a crucial thing to have in a product, that screen along with the VU Meters, it's a little gimmicky, pandering to the geeky side (which is somewhat appealing to me, although gimmicky rather than necessary). Of course it measures well, so no need to vote it down for that, although thinking about it the headphone output is low but of good quality. I'm sure there are cheaper and more capable DAC/headphone amp combo units but without the same type of aesthetic as this device, and I didn't give it top marks in voting because of this fact. I think I would have preferred for them to have spent the budget on good quality built in parametric DSP rather than the pure aesthetic combined with unique LCD screen.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding the Z6 option, given the quality of the rest of the Z8 implementation and assuming they built the Z6 equally well, am I likely to hear any real world difference between the two?
No, both should add no sound whatsoever for regular use, if the Z6 is done with the same care, just with slightly less of everything.

It's got a mobile phone control app as well.
I don't allow CCP approved apps on my mobile, thanks.

Quick google shows some colours on the vu meters on the display on some of the images and no colours on the display on some of the images! So I assume it's configurable?
It's configurable according to @amirm.

Maybe it's me but I don't think they are much more than just a little similar
x7Sk9w2.jpg
rxDyTZ6.jpg

As for sites it wouldn't be surprising there are agencies building these sites for similar companies. Easy money.
So I'm not so sure. The VU meters are very un-like SMSL.
The VU meters could be just something one company adds and another doesn't. But i agree, the boards don't look like the the same. But there are a lot of similarities, maybe the same reference design?

I would not be surprised that the two companies have close connections under the hood (maybe same founders/owners), but it's unclear to me they are more or less same products.
I bet the website designers used the same boilerplate designs from some website hoster or package.

Not sure if https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/index/model/DAC-Z8/target/DRfy4aRwwsRKKmVViAFMcQ==.html and https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/797.html look the same. they are typical Chinese product detail pages, but quite different

I love SMSL, for me is a good thing, is a certification of quality. :cool: Now I have more trust about EverSolo brand.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would be cool to have a theme editor for the display, or the ability to upload community created visualizers. And I mean actual visualizers, purely there for show and fancy pants lights on your desk. :D Also, if they could integrate with Aida64, that would be even cooler. You could use the display as an external Aida64 stat screen /sensor panel for your PC. This already exists in other hardware peripherals. The DAC market needs to show the RGB PC nerds that audio hardware doesn't have to be boring anymore. :p Not saying I don't like a spartan, industrial big black box sitting on my desk, but it would sure attract a new crowd. Part of the reason I bought a Motu M4 is because its screen looks nice among all my other desktop gear.

prerich

No need now - it's an appliance to do the job asked of it (while looking cool as well). Why should something of that level of performance 'sound' any different from its well measuring peers? Anyone would think that our hearing is good - yet its been proven that our minds (which interpret what our ears pick up) are easily fooled with non audio influences.

If you like the looks, the build and price isn't an issue, why not buy one at this level of performance?
I love the looks...not enough to make me buy it. Sold an x16 and went to a 9n...for the look and some new options, but basically only lost $50. This is $700...not enough looks and features to make me change from the identical sounding SU-9N similar level of performance. My gear sits off to the sides in a rack...I can see the amps but I can't see small components (Shield, Denafrips, and SU-9N) without getting up. The question becomes why buy one if it doesn't improve audible performance ...I watch my projected image (110inch screen)...not my gear. A bigger screen adds functionality...(a reason to buy) but I don't want to gawk at it. I even control my PC with a tablet using Spacedesk ..as well as my prepro...wish my dacs could do that...the screen would be meaningless then. Hey dac companies...Android control on all dacs pleases!!

rozel

I'm not wanting to bring on the trolls - crikey I cannot understand what they are trying to achieve. A genuine review of a genuine product.

But I'll ask my question again but in a more general way - would this DAC benfit (and many others too) from using a quality Linear Power Supply. If yes, why?

JRG123

With the problem of the DAC and the Amp solved, this is the type of product I'd be paying attention. All in one solution you can enjoy out of the box, nice features and aesthetics, compact enough, I wouldn't mind taking this to work everyday. To Zidoo, for putting performance at the service of convenience

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I'm not wanting to bring on the trolls - crikey I cannot understand what they are trying to achieve. A genuine review of a genuine product.

But I'll ask my question again but in a more general way - would this DAC benfit (and many others too) from using a quality Linear Power Supply. If yes, why?
I doubt it would benefit from a quality linear supply. Any improvements in the dc output would be inaudible since the numbers are already great.
We need to stop this line of inquiry, as it's another snake oil point of sales. A lot of companies sell very expensive linear power supplies that offer no benefit to the end user, just profits to the manufacturer.

Amir, thanks for another review.

Last edited:
Top Bottom