• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EverSolo Z8 DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 67 20.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 258 77.9%

• Total voters

PeteL

Major Contributor
Thx, Amir !

Some top performer product, yet with a terrible, terrible name.o_O

Ouch. Indeed.

Metronomy

Sorry I didn't understand what power it delivers to the different impedances.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry I didn't understand what power it delivers to the different impedances.
Power = voltage * voltage/impedance. So just look up what the level is on the right side of the graph and put it in that formula to get power.

Veri

Master Contributor
Do you have exemples of early ES9038 Pro implementations that did not extract top performance.
Here's one off the top of my head:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I guess we all remember the ESS hump debacles? Basically all devices of that era had these issues… until suddenly this was a fixed problem. Es9038Pro is from past the ESS hump era, so I wouldn’t expect major issues.

But most of the DAC’s tested are from somewhat reputable companies. We’ve never seen the ominously cheap and no-name boards tested though. I bet there are some very nice gems out there with < 90 SINAD to mock and belittle ;)

Edit: Anthem AVR90 has ES9038Pro and only claims a 100 SINAD. It’s an AVR, but still, that’s 20dB off the mark.
Sure, any great design can be destroyed if you really really want to be cheap and cut corners but still it's not the norm. @VintageFlanker did find a good exemple of that. Of course I can't include AVRs they have much much more going on than just the ESS Reference design.

HuubFranssen

Hey, another Shenzhen product that measures excellent like all the rest. The only thing left is listening with our own ears (the funny devices mounted on the sides of your head, maybe you can try to see them in a mirror).

Jukebox

I received this product for testing just around Christmas; Source Bluesound Node via Coax and a Purifi Power Amp from NAD (C298)

It was such a big positive surprise; everything worked just perfect, the built quality is premium, the menu and display (although not very big) are very clever and user friendly; I absolutely love that you can modify the volume scale when you push the volume button on the remote control; initially was in 1dB increment but I preferred the 3dB one.

And the sound....well just sound, nothing is added nothing is tailored; the SINAD is speaking for itself here.
Thanks Amir for this review!

PeteL

Major Contributor
Seems they have potential for the ever-asked (software) features,let's wait and see.

Thanks Amir!
Looks like it's not only the potential, On their website they offers much more than just simple dacs. This here is more the exception.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Hey, another Shenzhen product that measures excellent like all the rest. The only thing left is listening with our own ears (the funny devices mounted on the sides of your head, maybe you can try to see them in a mirror).
What do you mean? That people buying this don't listen to it?

respice finem

Major Contributor
Thx, Amir !

Some top performer product, yet with a terrible, terrible name.o_O

A single's life ain't that bad sometimes... but oh yes, the "Z" :eek: :p

0rangutan

Regarding the Z6 option, given the quality of the rest of the Z8 implementation and assuming they built the Z6 equally well, am I likely to hear any real world difference between the two?
It would be driving a Topping PA5 into compact ProAc speakers on a desktop.
I like the functionality and form of both, but very happy to save the money on the Z6 if the *audible* SQ will be effectively the same.

DSJR

Major Contributor
No need now - it's an appliance to do the job asked of it (while looking cool as well). Why should something of that level of performance 'sound' any different from its well measuring peers? Anyone would think that our hearing is good - yet its been proven that our minds (which interpret what our ears pick up) are easily fooled with non audio influences.

If you like the looks, the build and price isn't an issue, why not buy one at this level of performance?

Top Bottom