• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 28.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 327 65.1%

• Total voters

nawfal07

Thanks! Got that working. A bit laggy but works.
I have my player hooked up with an HDMI . How can I stream multi channel music? Wanted to see what that sounded like
2 channel sounded very good - big stage. Felt like Diana Krall was in the room with us.

If you have an AV receiver or a multi-channel processor that’s the only way to do it. Your source will have to be internal physical files of DSD or SACD rips.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No

Not necessarily to control things. One might also want to check what's playing without Shazamming it.

Internet Radio being obvious, but neither do all of us live alone. Could be some other household member's playlist.
When I stream, I select specific tracks, artists and/or playlists using Qobuz and Idagio. Apparently my use case is different from yours. Nothing wrong with that, but you can maybe understand why, for me, a small streamer display has limited utility.

It's not as though I never use internet radio, but it's a relatively infrequent mode of use for me.

Werther44210

I think that best solution soundwise would be to skip Master Edition and get dmp-a6 and z-8 instead and stack these two. Or to wait next gen.
Completely stack DMP A6 + DAC Z8, you are at the level of the Rose 250A with a more dynamic sound signature, more neutral than the Rose, 1600 euros at Eversolo and 2800 euros at Rose, differences in separate elements in one and unique in the other case

Werther44210

Je viens de rendre mon A6… Les puces Dual DAC de l'A6 ne sont pas aussi bonnes que mon SMSL SU-9 avec sa puce unique.

Actuellement, je lance mon Bluesound N130 via mon
SU-9, je pensais que les deux puces DAC de l'A6 sonneraient mieux, j'avais tort. Totalement sans vie et plat… Maintenant, voici le vrai problème, puisque le DAC de l'A6 sonnait si mal que je ne voulais pas utiliser les DAC internes de l'A6, alors j'ai pensé connecter mes autres sources numériques aux différentes entrées numériques de l'A6 et passer à travers c'est une sortie USB vers l'entrée USB de mon SU-9 puis une sortie via les sorties RCA du SU-9 vers mon préampli, donc au moins j'aurais accès à l' affichage du VU-mètre…
NON ! Toute entrée numérique via l'A6 ne passera que par ses sorties XLR et RCA, pas par USB… ce ne serait pas une mauvaise choisie si le DAC interne de l'A6 sonnait bien. J'espère vraiment ne pas avoir à faire fonctionner 2 unités et avoir toutes mes entrées numériques dans un seul appareil, c'était en quelque sorte la raison pour laquelle j'ai acheté l'A6. De plus, l'entrée USB de l'A6 n'est pas alimentée, alors oubliez d'utiliser un disque dur externe.

L'utilisation de la sortie coaxiale de l'A6 provoque le verrouillage du VU-mètre gauche dans le ROUGE, ainsi que l'application IPhone est TRÈS boguée, provoquant de nombreux relais du téléphone et de l'A6.
L'interaction de l'utilisateur est excellente avec l'affichage extrêmement réactif de l'A6 et son streamer SQ était bien meilleur que mon Node, mais je ne pense pas qu'ils aient résolu tous les problèmes et ne valaient pas l'investissement à ce stade, alors je suis revenu. Sérieusement, avec toute la demande, j'aurais probablement pu vendre sur Ebay pour une prime, mais je ne voulais pas faire ça à quelqu'un.
Je serais prêt à racheter s'ils corrigent les problèmes.

Just returned my A6…The A6’s Dual DAC chips are not as good as my SMSL SU-9 with it’s single chip.

Currently I run my Bluesound N130 thru my
SU-9, I thought the dual DAC chips in the A6 would sound better, boy was I wrong. Totally Lifeless and Flat… Now here’s the real issue, since the A6’s DAC sounded so bad I didn’t want to use the A6’s internal DAC’s, so I thought I’d connect my other digital sources to the A6’s various digital inputs and pass through it’s USB out to my SU-9’s USB input then out via the SU-9’s RCA outs to my Preamp so at least I’d get access to the VU meter display…
NOPE ! Any digital input thru the A6 will only pass through thru it’s XLR & RCA outputs, not through USB ….wouldn’t be a bad thing if the A6’s internal DAC’s sounded good. I was really hoping not to have to run 2 units and have all my digital inputs go into one device, kinda was my whole reason for purchasing the A6. Also the A6’s USB input is not powered, so forget about running an external hard drive.

Using the Coaxial Out of the A6 causes the Left VU Meter to lock up in the RED, as well as, the IPhone App is VERY buggy causing numerous reboots of both the phone and the A6.
The user interaction is great though with the A6’s extremely responsive display and it’s streamer SQ was much better than my Node but I don’t feel they got all the kinks worked out and not worth the investment at this stage so I returned. Seriously with all the demand probably could have sold on Ebay for a premium but didn’t want to do that to someone.
I would be willing to repurchase should they correct the issues.
@SP13, an SMSL benchmark SU-9 and Z8, both are close, but the DAC of the DMP A6 inferior to the one I have on my Rose 250, a Z8 as expensive almost as an A6 and that's only a DAC :
"The SU-9 is another DAC that is fairly close in sound signature to the Z8. It does sound neutral yet dynamic with everything I throw at it. It's been my review workhorse for over 2 years now. I found the bass was a little thicker sounding on the SU-9 and the vocals are quite detailed. Detail retrieval in the treble is also noticeably better on the Z8 as well as staging and imaging. I still think the two are great options but I do think the Z8 edges it out sound quality wise. I don't think those with something already good like the SU-9 need to upgrade but they might want to and I do find the Z8 is an upgrade as an overall package."

Alex05

Hi Alex05..just curious how long did you use the A6 for before coming to that conclusion about the sound? Cheers
Hello,
I’ve tried it two days and i get tired when I listen it.(on headphones and speakers).
I enjoy the product (interface, navigation, connectivity) it give a lot for the price but I don’t like the sound.
Anyway it’s my experience, people who want this product try it.

georgescookie

Hello,
I’ve tried it two days and i get tired when I listen it.(on headphones and speakers).
I enjoy the product (interface, navigation, connectivity) it give a lot for the price but I don’t like the sound.
Anyway it’s my experience, people who want this product try it.
No worries, just to mention that from experience, after about 100 hours of continued use once components have mostly ran in, a positive change in sound can be massive..this is true with even the most expensive DAC..so with continued use its very possible that you 'may' come to change your mind about how it sounds

mirror88

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Has anyone tried the Open Radio app on their A6? All the online radio streams of the world available.

Available on the PlayStore or from here:
https://bitbucket.org/ChernyshovYuriy/openradio/src/master/app/store/
680CBD28-71F9-42DE-822D-0CFDE8DC1719.png
CFDEF90B-4536-4419-827F-34BABE74AF1E.png

knick

In adittion to my first unanswered yet question, does this device can read HDD directly connected to it ?
In fact, you CAN connect an external USB disk and the device will read it. Look at the answer I got from Misue, a very helpful guy in eversolo.com

Attachments

• External hard drive.jpg
    External hard drive.jpg
    746.1 KB · Views: 163

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

From what I have read so far on this device, it seems that the "Hi-Fi" field has a new battle going on...

So far, we had the endless debate between "objectivists" who claim there is no audible difference if it can't be measured and the "subjectivists" who claim they can hear a difference even where non can be measured.

But now there a new field for debate : all-in-one (with compromise) or separate (without compromise) ?

Well, I think we all have our goals and preferences. So what follows is just my own opinion and I have no intend to force my views upon any member of this group...

I have tried a lot of things to stream :

- Bluesound Node : disgusting. People rant and rave about it's software. I urge them to NEVER give a look at Symfonium, Bubble UPnP or Emby...

- Computer : on Linux I use GMusicBrowser and all my DAC's are recognized without the need for any driver. I use ALSA output and have "bitperfect" output. But, it is difficult to drive that remotely (so when I am lying in my bed at night, I have to stand up and go to computer to change album or skip tracks).

- Raspberry pi with all possible OS : rAudio, moOde, Volumio...
In it's latest iteration, Volumio is simply too bugged to be used nicely. Unless, of course, you stick to their own way of thinking the thing should be used.
rAudio is now more or less abandoned.
So moOde is the way to go. This solution is really nice : you have a UPnp/DLNA renderer, you can drive it with third party software or a Web interface ; you can customize it fully and it has parametric EQ to compliment your headphone. It can be used "as is" with the headphone output built-in the pi4, or connected to a DAC with USB or add a DAC with headphone amp and you can use it as is. This is the smallest and least expensive solution to stream... BUT to get good sound, you will need : the pi4, an external DAC, a headphone amplifier... and a display should you want to see what you're playing directly.

- Dedicated "all-in-one" streamer : I have used the Cocktail Audio N15D and the Shanling EM5.
The Shanling was a magnificient device and included a dedicated power amp (2X60W) which was nice and all that for the price of 650€ (got itrefurbished). Sound was absolutely goergeous to my ears but the software side was hoorible. The in-house app was really not enough and was not stable and third party apps showed some problems at playing all tracks. It randomly decided to stop playing after 1 or 2 tracks... So it had to go back to store after 10 days.
The Cocktail Audio N15D, I have bought used for 250€. It is a UPnP/DLNA renderer AND server... So it is possible to stream to it using a third party app. But is is also possible to stream FROM it to another device (i.e. my Oppo BDP 105 I have in the living room). You can add an internal 2.5" SSD drive and store your music locally. To fill up the drive you can simply browse to it from the computer over network (with SMB or FTP) and copy your music to it... (not super fast). It is also possible to copy your music to a USB 3.0 stick and then copy it from the USB stick to the hard drive from their dedicated (ugly but OK) app. It's much faster should you need to copy large libraries... It has a decent headphone amp (largely enough to drive my Dan Clark Aeon Flow Closed) and is nicely built. But it misses three features for me : no web interface to drive it from the desk ; no display on the device so you're not really sure what it's doing unless you look at it from the app :-( and, more important, no equalizer at all and no DAC filters :-(

Now there is a machine I've be looking at for some time : the Fiio R7 which seems to be nice... But has no DLNA renderer so far. So you're stuck with the in-house Fiio app which is really not nice :-( Of course, I could add USB Audio Pro App, but I really do not see the point in having such a device to use it with a third-party app to get a feature that should be included. Fiio promises to add the feature in a future update, but until that is not included, I won't trust their promise :-(

And now I've come to discover this DMP-A6. It looks fantastic. It seems to have all features I am looking for... except one :-(
It has no headephone output !
BUT it seems that it's XLR output is rated at 5.2V RMS which should be sufficient (the AUNE S6 I own has 4.2V RMS XLR output and drives my Dan Clark Aeon Flowx Closed at super loud level without being at maximum...).

- So what's the most versatile solution ? All in all, should you have about 850€ to spend on a device to listen to music and stram and have a display and all music services included, I think there is a really decent solution. That will offer almost everything you'd like. Just take a really nice DAP (I use the FiioM11 Pro). Install USB Audio Pro App on to it.
When you're at home, you can hook it up to a dedictad headphone ampd or pre-amp with active speakers connected. Or even just use it as is (headphone amp is enough to drive the Dan Clark).
When you're on the run, 2 cables to unplug : USB-C charging cable and connection to headphone amps/pre-amp. Once done, you can use it as a dedicated DAP with the local storage on SD-Card or on USB OTG stick... and you can of course stream everything you'd like from any music service.

But, as far as I am concerned, the DMP-A6 is the kind of devices I'd like to get. Personally, I am done with dedicated separate device : 1 streamer, one DAC, one headphone amplifier/pre-map and a display to add up...
I would be looking for an all-in-one box that does it all.
And the DMP-A6 looks like it does it all :
- UPnP/DLNA renderer ;
- nice customizable display ;
- decent sound quality :)
- packed with features...

Now two questions :
- will it play gapless while streaming (not playing from included SSD drive) ?
- will the XLR output be able to drive my headphones (I assume it should but if anyone can confirm this I'd be grateful).

If the answer to those questions is "Yes", then it's definitely the device I would be looking for...

So between this and the Fiio R7, it's a tough decision :) Looks and feature says "DMP-A6". Headphone amp says "Fiio R7". Or maybe I'll find enoughmoney to get a Zidoo Neo thingy... But that is a 50% more :-(

mirror88

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi,

From what I have read so far on this device, it seems that the "Hi-Fi" field has a new battle going on...

So far, we had the endless debate between "objectivists" who claim there is no audible difference if it can't be measured and the "subjectivists" who claim they can hear a difference even where non can be measured.

But now there a new field for debate : all-in-one (with compromise) or separate (without compromise) ?

Well, I think we all have our goals and preferences. So what follows is just my own opinion and I have no intend to force my views upon any member of this group...

I have tried a lot of things to stream :

- Bluesound Node : disgusting. People rant and rave about it's software. I urge them to NEVER give a look at Symfonium, Bubble UPnP or Emby...

- Computer : on Linux I use GMusicBrowser and all my DAC's are recognized without the need for any driver. I use ALSA output and have "bitperfect" output. But, it is difficult to drive that remotely (so when I am lying in my bed at night, I have to stand up and go to computer to change album or skip tracks).

- Raspberry pi with all possible OS : rAudio, moOde, Volumio...
In it's latest iteration, Volumio is simply too bugged to be used nicely. Unless, of course, you stick to their own way of thinking the thing should be used.
rAudio is now more or less abandoned.
So moOde is the way to go. This solution is really nice : you have a UPnp/DLNA renderer, you can drive it with third party software or a Web interface ; you can customize it fully and it has parametric EQ to compliment your headphone. It can be used "as is" with the headphone output built-in the pi4, or connected to a DAC with USB or add a DAC with headphone amp and you can use it as is. This is the smallest and least expensive solution to stream... BUT to get good sound, you will need : the pi4, an external DAC, a headphone amplifier... and a display should you want to see what you're playing directly.

- Dedicated "all-in-one" streamer : I have used the Cocktail Audio N15D and the Shanling EM5.
The Shanling was a magnificient device and included a dedicated power amp (2X60W) which was nice and all that for the price of 650€ (got itrefurbished). Sound was absolutely goergeous to my ears but the software side was hoorible. The in-house app was really not enough and was not stable and third party apps showed some problems at playing all tracks. It randomly decided to stop playing after 1 or 2 tracks... So it had to go back to store after 10 days.
The Cocktail Audio N15D, I have bought used for 250€. It is a UPnP/DLNA renderer AND server... So it is possible to stream to it using a third party app. But is is also possible to stream FROM it to another device (i.e. my Oppo BDP 105 I have in the living room). You can add an internal 2.5" SSD drive and store your music locally. To fill up the drive you can simply browse to it from the computer over network (with SMB or FTP) and copy your music to it... (not super fast). It is also possible to copy your music to a USB 3.0 stick and then copy it from the USB stick to the hard drive from their dedicated (ugly but OK) app. It's much faster should you need to copy large libraries... It has a decent headphone amp (largely enough to drive my Dan Clark Aeon Flow Closed) and is nicely built. But it misses three features for me : no web interface to drive it from the desk ; no display on the device so you're not really sure what it's doing unless you look at it from the app :-( and, more important, no equalizer at all and no DAC filters :-(

Now there is a machine I've be looking at for some time : the Fiio R7 which seems to be nice... But has no DLNA renderer so far. So you're stuck with the in-house Fiio app which is really not nice :-( Of course, I could add USB Audio Pro App, but I really do not see the point in having such a device to use it with a third-party app to get a feature that should be included. Fiio promises to add the feature in a future update, but until that is not included, I won't trust their promise :-(

And now I've come to discover this DMP-A6. It looks fantastic. It seems to have all features I am looking for... except one :-(
It has no headephone output !
BUT it seems that it's XLR output is rated at 5.2V RMS which should be sufficient (the AUNE S6 I own has 4.2V RMS XLR output and drives my Dan Clark Aeon Flowx Closed at super loud level without being at maximum...).

- So what's the most versatile solution ? All in all, should you have about 850€ to spend on a device to listen to music and stram and have a display and all music services included, I think there is a really decent solution. That will offer almost everything you'd like. Just take a really nice DAP (I use the FiioM11 Pro). Install USB Audio Pro App on to it.
When you're at home, you can hook it up to a dedictad headphone ampd or pre-amp with active speakers connected. Or even just use it as is (headphone amp is enough to drive the Dan Clark).
When you're on the run, 2 cables to unplug : USB-C charging cable and connection to headphone amps/pre-amp. Once done, you can use it as a dedicated DAP with the local storage on SD-Card or on USB OTG stick... and you can of course stream everything you'd like from any music service.

But, as far as I am concerned, the DMP-A6 is the kind of devices I'd like to get. Personally, I am done with dedicated separate device : 1 streamer, one DAC, one headphone amplifier/pre-map and a display to add up...
I would be looking for an all-in-one box that does it all.
And the DMP-A6 looks like it does it all :
- UPnP/DLNA renderer ;
- nice customizable display ;
- decent sound quality :)
- packed with features...

Now two questions :
- will it play gapless while streaming (not playing from included SSD drive) ?
- will the XLR output be able to drive my headphones (I assume it should but if anyone can confirm this I'd be grateful).

If the answer to those questions is "Yes", then it's definitely the device I would be looking for...

So between this and the Fiio R7, it's a tough decision :) Looks and feature says "DMP-A6". Headphone amp says "Fiio R7". Or maybe I'll find enoughmoney to get a Zidoo Neo thingy... But that is a 50% more :-(
Support Gapless playback of integrated music services and connect(TIDAL, Qobuz, HIGHRESAUDIO, and future Amazon music) as this is a fundamental feature in certified items.
There is no guarantee for third-party apps

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have never heard a dac sound any different whatsoever
No worries, just to mention that from experience, after about 100 hours of continued use once components have mostly ran in, a positive change in sound can be massive..this is true with even the most expensive DAC..so with continued use its very possible that you 'may' come to change your mind about how it sounds
Dacs don’t burn in, their sound quality does not change over time, ‘burn in’ is just a myth propagated by I suspect dealers who don’t want you to return product.
When you first hear a new component that is its sound it doesn’t change over time but you become accustomed to it.
Keith

georgescookie

I have never heard a dac sound any different whatsoever
Dacs don’t burn in, their sound quality does not change over time, ‘burn in’ is just a myth propagated by I suspect dealers who don’t want you to return product.
When you first hear a new component that is its sound it doesn’t change over time but you become accustomed to it.
Keith
Im not part of your camp I'm afraid and I can hear with my own ears that components change in sound as they get used... until the point where they settle. Regarding your comment with dealers, the average return window (at least here in the UK) allows more than sufficient time for someone to make their mind up if they will keep something and thus I personally don't think 'burn in' is a tactic dealers use to put people off return something as items will get returned irregardless.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Im not part of your camp I'm afraid and I can hear with my own ears that components change in sound as they get used... until the point where they settle. Regarding your comment with dealers, the average return window (at least here in the UK) allows more than sufficient time for someone to make their mind up if they will keep something and thus I personally don't think 'burn in' is a tactic dealers use to put people off return something as items will get returned irregardless.
Apparently, you are a non-believer of science.
You may want to consider whether this forum is right for you

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It really isn’t about out which camp you are in, I have compared long term demonstration units with the identical brand new component and there is no sound difference whatsoever, if you really want to discover the truth rather than hang on to belief I would suggest you buy two identical units and make the same comparison.
Keith

georgescookie

It really isn’t about out which camp you are in, I have compared long term demonstration units with the identical brand new component and there is no sound difference whatsoever, if you really want to discover the truth rather than hang on to belief I would suggest you buy two identical units and make the same comparison.
Keith
I have compared the same components new/used as you suggested and learnt now to only believe my ears..components (not all) have gone from sounding harsh, edgy, closed in when new and basically like crap to sounding the opposite. My Gustard A26 is inclusive of this

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have compared the same components new/used as you suggested and learnt now to only believe my ears..components (not all) have gone from sounding harsh, edgy, closed in when new and basically like crap to sounding the opposite. My Gustard A26 is inclusive of this
You purchased two Gustard A26 units, kept one unopened and used the other extensively and then compared, if you did that would put you ( in my experience ) in a very exclusive club.
Keith

Hephaestus

Great device!

@mirror88 Any plans to implement PEQ or convolution engine in the future?

georgescookie

Exactly how you said but with other electronics I did a comparison about 7 years ago to satisfy my curiosity about burn in and made my conclusion from that. The A26 I bought once. Anywhoo maybe time to move on and get back to the point of this streamer.

Top Bottom