• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 28.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 339 65.8%

• Total voters

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Im not part of your camp I'm afraid and I can hear with my own ears that components change in sound as they get used... until the point where they settle. Regarding your comment with dealers, the average return window (at least here in the UK) allows more than sufficient time for someone to make their mind up if they will keep something and thus I personally don't think 'burn in' is a tactic dealers use to put people off return something as items will get returned irregardless.
Maybe you missed this previous post. A little blurb about ASR seems appropriate here.

All Forums have a Culture type and a set of beliefs. Most of that culture worships the primary commercial endorsements. Ours is based in Science and Engineering, with a slathering of mayo infused sense of humor. And we believe in hard reproducible scientific evidence. Nobody gets a free pass on this. Our Fearless Leader gets called out regularly to provide more evidence and clearer data. We worship that which is measurable and scientifically reproducible and provable. We place little value in personal opinions and things people think they hear or don’t. Lifting Veils is something done at a Wedding. It’s not personal. We will ask you for evidence to support your claims. Did you measure it. Stuff like that. Nerds with Audio gear. A different culture that the normal Audio Fourms.

Here is a great read on what we do here. It’s long but I think you will get the gist of it in only a few pages. Welcome Aboard @Charlyro222

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly how you said but with other electronics I did a comparison about 7 years ago to satisfy my curiosity about burn in and made my conclusion from that. The A26 I bought once. Anywhoo maybe time to move on and get back to the point of this streamer.
or, just move on to another board?

Al So Rand

I ordered one of these units yesterday but I'm going to have to wait a few weeks I'm told.
I considered ordering the Masters Edition but realized the main differences are lower noise / higher quality op amps in the analog audio circuit and higher quality femto clock oscillators...The differences was $700 here in Canada...
I looked on Digikey an Mouser and the higer quality op amps are only $12 each I'm still researching the price for the femto clock oscillators. Probably wouldn't cost more than $200-$250 total to upgrade it myself. But no way I'm paying a $700 CA upcharge for op amps and clock parts I'm not even using..
This streamer only has a 1 year warranty so it might be a modifiers dream further down the road. I like to tinker...
I really just wanted a high end streamer/server but what I wanted is way too expensive right now.
I will bypass the A6 Preamp and internal dacs anyway and hook it up to my Primaluna tube dac and tube preamp separates.
The company updated their firmware and the A6 will now accept 4TB M.2 SSD
( up from the original 2TB maximum)
The A6 also apparently allows you to rip CD's directly onto the internal M.2 SSD using an external USB CD disc drive plugged into the USB C digital input. The player has a CD ripping app software installed apparently. I can likely even plug my Cambridge Audio CXC Transport's digital out into the SPDIF digital input and rip them from there too.. Don't know ?
I'm learning a lot about the Eversolo DMP A6....I wish they made a separate Streamer/Server without the analog output section and dac circuits for the same money but with higher end parts and engineering.
I've got a feeling the noise would be gone with no analog output section. I'm surmising the Masters Edition addresses most of the broadband THD issues reported in the review.
Amir should test the upgraded Masters player...
Regardless, there still seems to be too much good stuff going on with this product to pass it up..The OS looks really promising...
Looking forward to learning it's ins and outs.....

Last edited:

Dan31620

You purchased two Gustard A26 units, kept one unopened and used the other extensively and then compared, if you did that would put you ( in my experience ) in a very exclusive club.
Keith
Hi Keith,
Do you think that adding a Z8 to the Dmp-a6 can be a good choice?
I use a Technics Su-G700m2 as preamp.
I will test the A6 in streamer/DAC and with the Technics DAC as streamer only.
I'm still waiting to receive my copy of the A6...

Last edited:

Werther44210

Hi Keith,
I will test the A6 in streamer/DAC and with the Technics DAC.
I'm interested in the answer since the Technics SU G 700 is an amp similar to my Denon PMA 110, neutral, lively reproduction, beautiful musicality (precise with beautiful timbre) and dynamic...

Dan31620

I'm interested in the answer since the Technics SU G 700 is an amp similar to my Denon PMA 110, neutral, lively reproduction, beautiful musicality (precise with beautiful timbre) and dynamic...
I should receive it mid-June

Werther44210

Very nice amp, well positioned at the price level and very close to much more expensive amps (just a little less resolution), it has a mid-range internal DAC like my Denon Burr Brown, so rather warm DAC, allows with a streamer like EverSolo to use the amplifier's internal DAC via USB connection (very practical, allows you to listen to several DACs). I almost bought the SU 1000 maybe one day, given the steep price ....

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(just a little less resolution)
Can you explain what this means and the source/proof of the statement. Or is this just opinion? If so, it would be recommended since you are new to this board to make it extremely clear there is no scientific proof, just your opinion. You will enjoy your stay much more if you do

knick

I've just received mine today. It's the Master Edition, costed €1300. It seems very well-built. The main differences from the “simple” edition are depicted in the attached images. I think that they might make some (maybe serious) sound improvement.

Attachments

• 09 Front.jpg
    09 Front.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 257
  • DMP-A6 Master Edition vs DMP-A6___1.png
    DMP-A6 Master Edition vs DMP-A6___1.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 258
  • DMP-A6 Master Edition vs DMP-A6___2.jpg
    DMP-A6 Master Edition vs DMP-A6___2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 272

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have never heard a dac sound any different whatsoever
Dacs don’t burn in, their sound quality does not change over time, ‘burn in’ is just a myth propagated by I suspect dealers who don’t want you to return product.
When you first hear a new component that is its sound it doesn’t change over time but you become accustomed to it.
Keith
This is not entirely true. Some products sound better after the electronics have been used a couple of days, some show no change. I have experience this many many times, at other peoples houses visiting after a week of use, when the gear was installed a week earlier and didnt sound right in the beginning, but transformed to very good sounding equipment.

Its also true, as you write, that the brain/ear get used to a certain sound. But this cant explain everything. Capacitors change at the beginning from the first use and settle after a while. Here is some measurement evidence:

Last edited:

Werther44210

Can you explain what this means and the source/proof of the statement. Or is this just opinion? If so, it would be recommended since you are new to this board to make it extremely clear there is no scientific proof, just your opinion. You will enjoy your stay much more if you do
Indeed, I can consider that this assessment is subjective (often at this level of range), nevertheless see these links, and the detailed sound tests on the 700 (upper range) and the 1000 (reference range) from the manufacturer Technics.. .

Gary4321

If you have an AV receiver or a multi-channel processor that’s the only way to do it. Your source will have to be internal physical files of DSD or SACD rips.
I believe running it this way has the downside of using the DAC in my Marantz SR8015. I ordered some good StraightWire RCA's to use the Analog Out to be able to use the internal ESS DAC. But while using the HDMI digital out - I thought one of these streaming services should have some multichannel music, no? Like Dark Side of the Moon in Atmos? I have trial versions of Tidal HiFi+ and Qobuz, and always had Amazon Music (was the best streaming thru HEOS) Apple Music and Spotify...

Someone must stream multichannel ??

Al So Rand

When I buy a product like this or any product of any kind I tend to weigh the positives againt the negatives and then decide whether it's worth the money.
I've used a laptop and Mac Mini for my music file storage and streaming needs and was considering getting a Intel NUC style of product with larger SSD hard drive storage room. The thing is, a I7 or Ryzen 9 based NUC costs about the same as the Eversolo DMP A6.
I was never concerned about the A6 sounding "lifeless" or "flat" because I knew going in that I was buying it for it's function as a Streamer/ Server solution not as a Dac Preamp. .
The analog output stage,volume control and its internal dac are actually items I don't want so I just hope the A6 sounds good when I bypass these circuits by using an external Dac and Preamp. The large Touch Screen, the OS and file storage capacity are what intrigued me as well as the price of this unit.
I've been looking at the Bryston DMP 3, the Auralic Aries, and the Lumin U2 products in both the used and new market place and I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on them at this time.
The Eversolo DMP A6 is the perfect compromise (hopefully.)
Being as popular as it is , even if I don't like it I'm sure I can easily sell it and move on... I can't stress over an attractive, glorified streaming computer....

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Support Gapless playback of integrated music services and connect(TIDAL, Qobuz, HIGHRESAUDIO, and future Amazon music) as this is a fundamental feature in certified items.
There is no guarantee for third-party apps
So chances are it won't play hapless when streaming from a Nas...

Anyone using this unit with bubble UPnP who can answer the question about gapless ?

And anyone who can try to drive headphones using the XLR output ?

Thanks a lot...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hi Keith,
I will test the A6 in streamer/DAC and with the Technics DAC as streamer only.
No, there won’t be the slightest difference.
Keith

Kelims

Hello, would it be possible to check how the S/PDIF output is? I am primarily interested in this device as a streamer with a connection to a Hypex fa 253. Would it be possible to take some measurements?

Al So Rand

I've just received mine today. It's the Master Edition, costed €1300. It seems very well-built. The main differences from the “simple” edition are depicted in the attached images. I think that they might make some (maybe serious) sound improvement.
I saw those photos last week and I priced the OPA 1612 op- amps on Digikey and Mouser... They were approximately $10-$12 CA. each.
I couldn't get a clear look at the Femto Clock circuit changes but I don't think the clock circuit is really a weak point. I believe Amir's jitter measurements etc. were fine.
Looks like the op amps are soldered to the board so some DIP 8 OP-Amp Sockets would let you roll in/out Op-amps to change the sound if so inclined... After the warranty expires of course....
It looks like this company put together a really nice feature loaded DMP for more than a fair price. Compromises are sometimes made to meet certain price points.
Perhaps they thought; People seem to really like this product, let's offer them an upgraded version if they're that interested.
It would be nice to see some test measurements on the Masters Edition.. I also imagine it might measure and sound better...

Al So Rand

I'm new here and I do realize I've spewed enough BS babble , so I'll finish with my final thought.
I'm a frugal old SOB who refuses to pay for overpriced things like Roon and Tidal...I had Tidal but I pay half as much for Amazon Music HD Ultra.

One of my main reasons for buying the A6 is its implementation of a soon to be certified , onboard , integral , Amazon music app. Perhaps this will lead to better overall performance from Amazon music now that an equipment manufacturer is supporting their App and visa versa... That's my hope anyway...

Bye for now...

Last edited:
Top Bottom