• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 340 65.9%

• Total voters

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A new member who is not aware of the ASR Science First Culture. Let’s give the New members a little wiggle room to grow and learn. Be more patient and gracious with them and give them a chance to adapt to the Science and Engineering environment. They have taken the first step by joining our forum. Benefit of the doubt since they only joined a few hours ago.
Got it!
But all those are earmarks of a troll, too. I'm just sayin

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Question for fellow Roon users: shouldn't I expect to see cover art/info when the A6 is connected via USB to my Roon Rock server?
Yes you should exactly the same in ‘cast’ as what is in the screen of the DMP.
Keith

Diecastt

Really hoping eversolo indeed comes out with a remote, preferably with play/pause and change track functions as well.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
But all those are earmarks of a troll, too
I’m not saying that you are wrong. You may yet prove to be correct. Time will tell. But let’s give them a chance to shed the Charlatan Snake Oil Sales Pitches and the Subjectivist’s forums and Video Bloggers raining down storms of B.S. It can be hard to let go of all those false but alluring beliefs. Consumers can easily get buried in the steady stream of B.S. designed to sell, sell, sell via baffling misinformation and misdirection at any cost. Is it not expected that these new members come here a little brainwashed and off balance. Heck just the other day I had to check myself as I was writing a post about a certain audio widget I own. I was using subjective impressions and started to sound like a Magazine Advertisement. Some of the marketing stuff is hard to shake.

Rule of thumb is two weeks for new members. That gives them adequate time to read, adsorb and accumulate to a science based forum. There are few. Wholly science based (absent a drop of Advertising) Audio Forums in existence. Their first few days might be daunting and confusing. Lend them a hand and drop a link or two for some additional research information they can catch up on. There is a break in period on new Members. It can take some time for the truth to fully penetrate the Brain barrier and it does help to use only pure Distilled water. :cool: The double blind testing can wait a few weeks.

Charlyro222

Sorry, but I am not a newbie nor a Troll.
Anyway you can think what you like.
Doesn't matter to me.
Just only gave you some info that I thought will be interesting for the thread without hidden agenda.

Cheers

AdamG

Forum Donor
Doesn't matter to me.
Just only gave you some info that I thought will be interesting for the thread without hidden agenda.

Cheers
All Forums have a Culture type and a set of beliefs. Most of that culture worships the primary commercial endorsements. Ours is based in Science and Engineering, with a slathering of mayo infused sense of humor. And we believe in hard reproducible scientific evidence. Nobody gets a free pass on this. Our Fearless Leader gets called out regularly to provide more evidence and clearer data. We worship that which is measurable and scientifically reproducible and provable. We place little value in personal opinions and things people think they hear or don’t. Lifting Veils is something done at a Wedding. It’s not personal. We will ask you for evidence to support your claims. Did you measure it. Stuff like that. Nerds with Audio gear. A different culture than that of the normal Audio Fourms.

Here is a great read on what we do here. It’s long but I think you will get the gist of it in only a few pages. Welcome Aboard @Charlyro222

Last edited:

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Doesn't matter to me.

Cheers
You joined yesterday. You are a newbie.

Reactions: PKK

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Well, if one looks at Amir's DAC measurements for the A6 and the Z8, the Z8 is quite a bit better. The A6 noise floor is comparable to the "at this point ancient" DX3 Pro according to Amir's graph. The Z8 noise floor is much better and currently among the best.

Can differences be heard? It can't be known until a very controlled test is performed. In fact, it would be an interesting comparison (however, unlikely it would ever occur).

Whatever it is, the only thing that matters is that you enjoy it. And your stack looks really great IMO.

7nghzo.jpg

multisport4me

Yes you should exactly the same in ‘cast’ as what is in the screen of the DMP.
Keith

Yea, its not for me. Strange. Is anyone connected to a Roon server via USB and seeing cover art/info?

Edit: I just realized you are talking about the cast feature. I have no issue with that. I'm saying the album cover and song info (as in this picture) are not showing up when I use USB from Roon to the A6. Is that normal? I would think the same data would come through via USB and not just the network. As long as the A6 remains connected to a network, I'm not sure why this wouldn't work.

1685324868740.png

Last edited:

multisport4me

All Forums have a Culture type and a set of beliefs. Most of that culture worships the primary commercial endorsements. Ours is based in Science and Engineering, with a slathering of mayo infused sense of humor. And we believe in hard reproducible scientific evidence. Nobody gets a free pass on this. Our Fearless Leader gets called out regularly to provide more evidence and clearer data. We worship that which is measurable and scientifically reproducible and provable. We place little value in personal opinions and things people think they hear or don’t. Lifting Veils is something done at a Wedding. It’s not personal. We will ask you for evidence to support your claims. Did you measure it. Stuff like that. Nerds with Audio gear. A different culture that the normal Audio Fourms.

Here is a great read on what we do here. It’s long but I think you will get the gist of it in only a few pages. Welcome Aboard @Charlyro222

Hmmm...not being snarky, but I'd bet 99% of the members up here don't own an AP analyzer so how does anybody measure their stuff? Or is the standard not to talk about gear we own unless its been tested by Amir? Again...just trying to understand the rules. I don't enjoy the subjective non-sense we've read for years about audio and video (e.g. like a wet blanket was removed from my speakers with a new $5000 power cable, etc.) but are pretty sure most up here have no means of testing beyond our ears. So is it sweeping subjective claims we seek to minimize here or are we not to talk about impressions of sound quality unless we have the means to test it?

multisport4me

Why are you even using USB when the A6 is Roon Ready?
Well, I'm not. I'm experimenting since it occured to me that a direct USB connection to the Roon server would be more stable than a network connection (albeit, I'm not having network issues) given the close proximity of the two devices in my setup.

So then, should I see the cover art and info via USB or not? :)

HedgeHog

Did I misunderstand something. The A6 and the Z8 have different ESS Sabre DACs; so, a difference may be there. The DIY electronics forum mentioned the DACs in the A6 are intended for mobile usage. It may serve its purpose well in the A6 but the ESS9038Pro in the Z8 is supposed to be higher up than the ES9038Q2M of the A6.

nawfal07

We got DAC-Z6 and DAC-Z8.

We got DMP-A6. Any chance we’ll get a DMP-A8?

@mirror88 ?

tuxic

Possible bug: When using the HDMI output of the A6 and Roon I notice that if I queue a song or sometimes even just attempt to play another song in a list, it appears the HDMI output loses sync with my AV10 when that next song starts to play. Specifically, I see the song playing in Roon, but hear no audio. This does not happen when using the HDMI output of my Roon Rock server nor does it occur when using XLR analog outputs of the A6. So I've confirmed the issue is related to the HDMI output of the A6.
I experienced this too, can you try steaming with TV on and see if you still lose sync or sound. Solution for me was to choose the second HDMI output on the remote. TV can then stay off.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Did I misunderstand something. The A6 and the Z8 have different ESS Sabre DACs; so, a difference may be there. The DIY electronics forum mentioned the DACs in the A6 are intended for mobile usage. It may serve its purpose well in the A6 but the ESS9038Pro in the Z8 is supposed to be higher up than the ES9038Q2M of the A6.

One of the DACs is clearly better, but the "worst" is already audibly transparent. So "better" is an academic rather than practical aspect. There may of course be differences in implementation that could theoretically be audible, but likely not.

Ithaka

From the ESS website

The ES9038Q2M SABRE32 Reference DAC is a very high-performance, 32-bit, stereo audio D/A converter designed for: audiophile-grade power sensitive applications such as digital music players, Blu-ray players, audio pre-amplifiers and A/V receivers, and professional applications such as recording systems, mixer consoles and digital audio workstations.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I ‘compared’ both I couldn’t hear any difference, but I didn’t expect to and the measurements would suggest there won’t be any.
Keith

Snoopy

Major Contributor
there seems to be a market for big displays and VU meters ;)
If only Roon would display VU meters. Imagine having a high quality VU meter on a iPad Pro.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Hmmm...not being snarky, but I'd bet 99% of the members up here don't own an AP analyzer so how does anybody measure their stuff? Or is the standard not to talk about gear we own unless its been tested by Amir? Again...just trying to understand the rules. I don't enjoy the subjective non-sense we've read for years about audio and video (e.g. like a wet blanket was removed from my speakers with a new $5000 power cable, etc.) but are pretty sure most up here have no means of testing beyond our ears. So is it sweeping subjective claims we seek to minimize here or are we not to talk about impressions of sound quality unless we have the means to test it?
You don’t need a couple hundred thousand dollar AP. A calibrated mic, REW which is free and a laptop or even an iPad and you can do many measurements before and after to prove or disprove the actual impact of a certain widget/DAC/Amp. It’s not hard or overly expensive to do. Go read the thread I linked. Read more post less until you feel confident enough to post something without being called on the carpet to prove your claims. If you just want to share your personal impressions. Start out by saying “These are only my Subjective opinions” or something along those lines. Where you will get the most pushback is making claims that a widget or some other device you just installed lifted veils and made everything sound warmer, softer and more natural, real and even your wife noticed it from Kitchen. But you have been here going on 2 years so I’m assuming that you know all of this and your questions were rhetorical.

Top Bottom