• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ever consider having a subforum for studio gear?

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I realize the fundamental thrust of ASR is hifi gear.
But it might prove interesting to measure pro gear (mixers, interfaces, FX units, etc.) Speakers already are accounted for in the speaker reviews forum. And many of the lower end 'prosumer' gear types already show up in various threads. This would give it a home.

Barter

I would be very interested in this. My primary interest in knowing whether things in the playback chain are accurate is to be able to trust them to make better recordings. The same kind of measurements of new and maybe some commonly used “classic” gear would be incredible information to have.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt if it would be the forum with the most traffic, but there is a sizable amount of interest I think. If you look at some sigs that show gear in use, quite a surprising number have some pro interfaces or other devices listed.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose with increased use of studio gear in homes now it could be a good venture. Where does one draw the line though. Some of the studio gear does some very different stuff than domestic/consumer audio gear does.

Barter

Faithful reproduction reveals whatever garbage makes it into the recordings..!

It’s already great to see measurements of different monitors I use both in the studio and at home. There’s plenty of guesswork in mixing already. Preamps and A/D converters in prosumer gear and at the mid-high end would be great to have more insight into.

OP
P

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the positivity in your posts!

wisechoice

I would be interested in such a forum, and would be even more interested if it did not just cover the gear, but also discussions of the principles of studio design and treatment, recording, mixing, mastering etc. Maybe that's for a different audience than this site usually draws, though, for better and for worse. And I'm out of my depth with all of it.

It also occurs to me that a site called Audio Science Review could reasonably be expected to have some discussion of microphones, but that's rare here. Maybe there's not much to say about them, or maybe, again, it makes sense with the demographic of hi-fi enthusiasts, audio engineering experts and hobbyists, and DIY crowd.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I would be most interested in microphone measurements. There's lots of new gear, much of it manufactured in China. I'm seeing $100 cardioid condenser microphones, have to wonder what works in this age where one can buy a 24/96 two-channel recorder for $100.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be most interested in microphone measurements. There's lots of new gear, much of it manufactured in China. I'm seeing $100 cardioid condenser microphones, have to wonder what works in this age where one can buy a 24/96 two-channel recorder for $100.
Oh you and me both on the microphones. What kind of apparatus would be needed to measure microphones in a high quality way the Klippel does speakers or headphones as done by Amir?

You could do comparative calibrations against a known reference like some of the Josephson, DPA or Earthworks measurement mics. That would be enough to be helpful. Of course if directionality could be addressed that would be even better. I wonder if the Klippel could be used against a known speaker reference to tell us instead the directionality and response of the microphone as the device under test?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh you and me both on the microphones. What kind of apparatus would be needed to measure microphones in a high quality way the Klippel does speakers or headphones as done by Amir?
I looked at this for a while. Klippel unfortunately is not direct help. The main technique is using a neutral speaker as a reference. You capture its output in-room and use as reference. Then you measure the mic and subtract the reference from it giving you on-axis response. Trying to get directivity response gets a lot more complicated and time consuming. So I gave up on it for now.

I may go back to Klippel to see if there is a way to modify that system to measure but right now I don't see a solution using it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a subforum called "pro gear" might be worthwhile, altho some of the stuff tested already might straddle lines....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think a subforum called "pro gear" might be worthwhile, altho some of the stuff tested already might straddle lines....
Seems like there is interested in broader discussion than just gear.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like there is interested in broader discussion than just gear.
I was more thinking just a delineation in type of gear, and personally can do without, but seems some need a sense of direction for reproduction vs production, let alone this type of playback orientation....but my overall impression is we're more about reproduction gear around here in any case.

Top Bottom