• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

even $75 hidizs s8 betters DCS bartok

aj625

here is the link of DCS bartok measurements by golden sound. see how one channel behaves differently than other in almost all tests and errs by about 6db. even a $75 hidizs S8 dongle as DAC has better measurements than this $17500 boutique dac. Thanks to golden sound for measuring DCS bartok. prominence of odd order harmonics reveals the reason of DCS bartok's overly bright sound. https://goldensound.audio/2021/10/12/dcs-bartok-with-headphone-amp-measurements/

OP
A

aj625

sinad of short of 110db does not do justice for a boutique $17500 "DS dac". are they charging for chassis and looks ?

OP
A

aj625

there is no reason in any measurement that this dac should sound better than some better measuring dacs out there. if even order harmonics were dominant then even with less sinad it would have sound at least more euphonic. but here there is no such magic trick.

JSmith

Master Contributor
DCS bartok measurements
Discussion is here;

JSmith

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
why not ? if odd harmonics "dominate over even harmonics" then timbre is affected negatively even if at -110db.
I suspect you'd need evidence to back up that claim.

I get that the DAC costs a lot compared to many other DACs that measure better, but I don't see anything in those measurements that explain an "overly bright" sound. In fact I'd go so far as to suggest that the "overly bright' sound would disappear in properly conducted double blind test.

OP
A

aj625

I suspect you'd need evidence to back up that claim.

I get that the DAC costs a lot compared to many other DACs that measure better, but I don't see anything in those measurements that explain an "overly bright" sound. In fact I'd go so far as to suggest that the "overly bright' sound would disappear in properly conducted double blind test.
do you own bartok ?

OP
A

aj625

you can google about bartok being bright and you would find a number of threads for same. also check headfi fb post by golden sound for bartok measurement where a member commented about bright sound of bartok. see you can deny the fact that odd harmonics affect the sound negatively. over the years sinad has improved. if 85-95db sinad is just about ok then one should be ok with vintage r2r dacs. then you go into the "territory of type of sound" instead of transparency.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
you can google about bartok being bright and you would find a number of threads for same. also check headfi fb post by golden sound for bartok measurement where a member commented about bright sound of bartok. see you can deny the fact that odd harmonics affect the sound negatively. over the years sinad has improved. if 85-95db sinad is just about ok then one should be ok with vintage r2r dacs. then you go into the "territory of type of sound" instead of transparency.
I don't care what "threads' say about it being bright, that's subjective and prone to all sorts of bias.
I care about measurements and I don't see any that would cause brightness.

If you can hear harmonics at-110dB then I think you must have better hearing than all of humankind

OP
A

aj625

I don't care what "threads' say about it being bright, that's subjective and prone to all sorts of bias.
I care about measurements and I don't see any that would cause brightness.

If you can hear harmonics at-110dB then I think you must have better hearing than all of humankind
you mean there is no need of improvement to sinad by new technology in the coming years ? human ears and brain are much more sensitive than any measuring equipment currently available. but brain need to be trained and it should free from biases like r2r dacs are better, good measurements sound clinical and blah blah.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
why not ? if odd harmonics "dominate over even harmonics" then timbre is affected negatively even if at -110db.

index.php

Top Bottom