• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eurovision 2023

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah... lets dooo dis!

I know there's probably more hate than love for Eurovision here, but I'm firmly in the love camp. And "camp" it is! The sillier - the better. And no - that does not mean the music sucks, it's just music to have fun with.

So with that said - 2023 Semifinal 1 just concluded. Did your faves make it to the grand final?

First here are all the songs competing:

And here are the results of todays semi

Eurovision 2023 Semi-final 1 Results​

I'll let you know what I was rooting for (the first half of ) Finlands Cha cha cha!

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everyone claiming to hate Eurovision just lies, period!! :cool:

Too many good entries, I won't be specific, but Latvia, UK, Norway, Poland, Sweden and France sound the best to me :D

Btw. seems like these guys didnt't stay very apolitical :)
[Croatia]

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just an FYI... None of the linked videos are available in the US (except for YouTube).

When I hear Eurovision I think of this:

OP
eddantes

eddantes

Just an FYI... None of the linked videos are available in the US (except for YouTube).

When I hear Eurovision I think of this:
A glorious epic!

OP
eddantes

eddantes

Live show above - in case some one stumbles on this post

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
thanks for posting the entries. good to see what the current tastes/trends are in Europe. I could do without 1/3 of them (some due to video, some audio, some both). The rest were pretty good. I just picked one of the last ones: from Switzerland, Remo Forrer. Kid has good voice!

GabrielPhoto

I love Eurovision since 2012 thanks to my wife as she is European :D
The movie was very fun although Eurovision purists like myself disliked some obvious errors that shouldnt have been there LOL

vert

Forum Donor
Eurovision is quite meaningless as to what current tastes/trends are in Europe, as "Europe" as such doesn't exist and never will - as much as all the Euro this and that and Eurovisions like to pretend. So very often to a "European" such as myself it looks like a theater of the absurd - who selects that stuff, did someone actually write that, who listens to it, how is that vote possible, not to mention the grotesque propagandizing etc.
BUT once in a while you get the suprise of an actual good song slipping in, such as when Salvador Sobral won the contest, and Brazil's King of Melody and Song, the great Caetano Veloso, joined him on stage, a jaw-dropping moment (for me) (at ~5'30'' in the clip).
A couple of years ago Barbara Pravi of France was a delightful suprise (as a native of France good chanson française always pulls a heartstring).
I also felt the Italians had been robbed of a few deserved victories in recent years.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Eurovision is quite meaningless as to what current tastes/trends are in Europe, as "Europe" as such doesn't exist and never will - as much as all the Euro this and that and Eurovisions like to pretend. So very often to a "European" such as myself it looks like a theater of the absurd - who selects that stuff, did someone actually write that, who listens to it, how is that vote possible, not to mention the grotesque propagandizing etc.
BUT once in a while you get the suprise of an actual good song slipping in, such as when Salvador Sobral won the contest, and Brazil's King of Melody and Song, the great Caetano Veloso, joined him on stage, a jaw-dropping moment (for me) (at ~5'30'' in the clip).
A couple of years ago Barbara Pravi of France was a delightful suprise (as a native of France good chanson française always pulls a heartstring).
I also felt the Italians had been robbed of a few deserved victories in recent years.

It's a peace project, what did you expect? they would just ignore that a participating nation is under occupation?

I like to think that 70 years ago when Eurovision started that if it wasn't for Eurovision and other peace projects Europeans would go back to the sensless killing and occupation of each other as that has been the case for all of history considering that European nations have little in common other than 'Country X occupied us for Y amount of time'

Grotti

Forum Donor
What people seem to forget, that this "contest" was never about the best singer or voice, it is about the best songwriter! So to me subjectively it seems to be a complete failure.

But like Vert wrote, from time to time there are songs worth to remember. Why I watch it every year despite the fact, that I don't want to? Must be a bad habit :p

vert

Forum Donor
It's a peace project, what did you expect? they would just ignore that a participating nation is under occupation?

I like to think that 70 years ago when Eurovision started that if it wasn't for Eurovision and other peace projects Europeans would go back to the sensless killing and occupation of each other as that has been the case for all of history considering that European nations have little in common other than 'Country X occupied us for Y amount of time'
Europe was at peace for 70 years thanks to nuclear dissuasion and proper diplomacy, not any "peace project", how old are you?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Some songs, groups became famous after the competition.:)

The most famous example of the song is probably this one from 1958:

In a famous cover version of:

These became world famous after the competition:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Europe was at peace for 70 years thanks to nuclear dissuasion and proper diplomacy, not any "peace project", how old are you?

I didn’t know diplomacy was invented 70 years ago. :rolleyes:

Anyway this is not the time or place for such discussions, it’s not like you don’t understand what a peace project is.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What people seem to forget, that this "contest" was never about the best singer or voice, it is about the best songwriter! So to me subjectively it seems to be a complete failure.
I wouln't generalize in this manner, partly true for sure but there have always been "complete artists/bands" participating as well.

But in this regard it is undeniable how many great voice talents there have been throughout the years. Yes, many were just "interpreters" singing some "annoying pop anthem" (composed by someone else), but you can't deny mere voice qualities of many participants. The other story is how EV participation affects their future career if they lack creative potential. Many of them just fade out, just as it is the case of winners/participants of various "Voice" TV competitions around the globe.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last time i watched Eurovision i was in a pub in a small village in Bavaria (very conservative part of germany), when this epic performance won:

I still have in my ear how men there said: "That's a man, good lord" ("Des is ja a Mo, Herrschaftszeiten!").

Last edited:
Top Bottom