• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eurovision 2021! Who are you rooting for?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I expected at least one thread on the biggest musical event in the world but here i am making the first thread.

I feel like there are some really really strong entries this year

I'm absolutely in love with Maltova's entry this year, it's a eurovision master piece if i ever seen one

Portugal have a really strong entry as well

Lithuania is one of my personal favorites as well

Who are you rooting for? there are some really cool sounds this year!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In Australia, nobody really gives a rat's a#s about Eurovision. It's something you'd never admit to taking an interest in, especially to women, your mates or close family.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Well if those three songs are representative of the quality, I don't think I'll be taking an interest, but thanks for posting.

That portugese guy sounds like a singer we had back in the 80s/90s. Peter Blakeley. Had a few monster hits and dropped off the charts forever.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In Australia, nobody really gives a rat's a#s about Eurovision. It's something you'd never admit to taking an interest in, especially to women, your mates or close family.

Why would you? you guys joined like 3 or 4 years ago. there is a big historical and sentimental value in Eurovision since it was concieved to bring European nations together after WW2. no politics and no cultural divide just music.

it gives local small artist the biggest possible stage and audience they can ever dream of. not to mention that it practically gave birth to many great artists like ABBA, Celine dion, Bonnie Taylor, Olivia Newton-John, Enya and many more.

As for all the other commenters who found this thread to be a great opportunity to be bitter. I would advise you to stop obsessing over the fact that it isn't the 70s anymore and give the music of this generation a chance.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
For some reason the Eurovision song contest seem to have become a happening that has great interest among the gay community , and less so for others. Maybe that is because of the excessive costumes , show and “glamour“?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for all the other commenters who found this thread to be a great opportunity to be bitter. I would advise you to stop obsessing over the fact that it isn't the 70s anymore and give the music of this generation a chance.

It is not a generational thing, at least to me. I find pieces I like in virtually every Spotify playlist, every musical genre, every era. Almost never in the Eurovision finalist lists of songs. It seems they are always aiming to the lowest common denominator of every genre.

AlexHRider

It's like "Festival di Sanremo" here in Italy.. it's just a flashy snooty review that emphasizes the latest fashion trends and perfectly comply the prevalent standards of mainstream so called "music" these days.. pretty half-naked girls using autotune and premade riffs based upon the last 30 years of music charts hits... excluding real musicians that even present days are full of..

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The festival is been hijacked by gays.The aim for a perfect composed short song is been gone long ago.
And if you win it (the last say 15 years) your career is gone.So for a artist it's not a good thing to participate in this blown up festival.
It's just another keep the masses dumb television show.
But that's my view YMMV

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'm surprised the UK still part-finances it apparently, so we're guaranteed a place whether our 'song' is good or not (usually awful and one or two years we basically took the p** out of it with our entries!). It's been political for so long but does seem to have changed in more recent years whenever we've tuned in to watch some of it. We've not been liked much in the Eurozone for a long time and after Brexit, I dare say we're due another drubbing this year, so expect a 'null point' result as the EU entries try to bolster each other up ;)

bboris77

I used to absolutely love Eurovision when I was growing up in Europe in a country that does not exist anymore - Yugoslavia. It was a classy competition until the 90s with pretty good pop tunes and it helped launch and reboot many artists' careers.

It has unfortunately become a parody of itself with cheap and trashy tunes and plasticky oversexualized starlets. Kind of like pop music in general. There are exceptions, of course. The crazy block-voting does not help. In the past, each country had an expert panel of artists and composers that cast their votes. None of this fake democracy viewers voting stuff. It was considered shameful for neighbouring countries to give each other maximum points whereas this is the norm now.

I still pay attention to it, but the magic is gone.

Top Bottom