• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[EU] Amplifier for the Bedroom: keep the Denon AVR-X2400H or trade it for something more suitable?

engio

Hello All, newbie here.

After reading this forum for a long time I've decided to start two projects I wanted to do for a while: upgrade the Living Room to a 7.1.4 Atmos setup and get some decent listening experience in the bedroom.

So, for the Living Room, I'm retiring the Denon AVR-X2400H I've been using for the current 5.1.2 and got an Denon AVR-X3600H coming (couldn't afford the 3700 and don't care for 8K), which is very highly reviewed here and also sit nicely within my budget (815€ amazon warehouse deals here in Italy). For the bedroom, I got a pair of also very positive reviewed Elac Debut Rerefence (DBR62) which I'm loving so far.

In the beginning I was thinking to sell the bulky X2400H and get a small Class D amp with bluetooth for the bedroom. After all, it doesn't make sense to keep an AVR for powering just two speakers and, best of all, no TV... Right?

But then I tought of it again and realized that there might be more to consider. The 2400 got AirPlay (which I love, and has a much higher Wife Acceptance Factor than bluetooth), Audissey for room correction (which I have no idea how to do, again, I'm a newbie) and can be completely controlled from its app so I don't ever need to use the remote or plug a TV to it, whch means I can hide out of view for an even higher WAF.

Moreover, "decent chinese" Class D amp are around 70-90€ here (and they're based on the last generation TPA3116D2, not even the newer TPA3255... I've tried a few, they have a background noise even a newbie like myself can hear) and selling the 2400 will get me maybe 200€ so I'm doubting it will worth the tradeoff. I tought of selling the 2400 and getting a better stereo amp, but even if there is no review for the 2400 to compare it to I believe it will sit in that sweet spot of "higher than average, far for perfect" a cheap newbie like me likes... Will I be able to get something better without spending some serious cash? I'm looking at the Amp comparison chart and it doesn't look like.

So, back to my question... Am I being dumb for considering keeping an hidden AVR in the bedroom just to power two speakers? Or, given what I own now, it can be a reasonable option?

All advice is welcome, cheers!

DSJR

Major Contributor
Can you accommodate the size? is it easy to switch to 'stereo?' If yes to both, why not try it and see :)

OP
E

engio

I can definetly hide it, and yeah, once you select it on AirPlay it starts playing without ever touching it. You then control the whole volume volume from the phone slider: I've been using it in the Living Room for a long time and it turns on when needed and then back off by itself after a while.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Set up the 2400 out of sight and try it out. I think The best most affordable solution is the one you already have. Also I think it's better for the environment and more fun to repurpose your existing equipment when you can. You will have more budget for your new Atmos setup too!

Top Bottom