• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Etymotic versus audiophila

fulffy512

After my time trying the ER4PT i found cheap on ebay and enjoying it so much that i upgraded to the ER4SR because it died. I really love how objective the company is in there approach to sound in a way, that allot the hate is from audiophiles who don't like there subjective views questioned.

Erik

Objectively speaking, Etymotic earphones do not offer accurate music playback and they are mediocre sounding IEMs according to listeners' opinion from Harman blind tests. And on average listeners tend to prefer accurate sound reproduction as we already know from other Harman studies. In short, Etymotic earphones are accurate only to their own target, which is not what people consider to sound neutral and accurate.
Here's how Etymotic frequency response looks with compensation to two different target curves, which are actually based on what people consider to sound neutral and accurate.

1561976648500.png 1561976668200.png

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/online/browse.cfm?elib=19237 (Etymotic earphones are labled as HP21)

OP
F

fulffy512

Since when were there opinion fact?, Harman IE tuning asks for 6 to 15db bass which can trigger masking in IEM's. You really reaching hard since there info that when given netural set ups to listeners with bass under 4db they liked way more that the more coloured sounding tuning. Upping bass isn't gonna fix that missing tactile feedback in the chest. I've tried doing the 200Hz low shelf that harman uses even 4db to me is too much? and at 6db i sense it getting muddy and loss of clarity.

The gerogerigegege - Self titled, Allot dark ambient and more the bass on them is still preserved despite how flat the SR is?.

Also i tired that EQ its trash in my opinion there a unneeded 7db peak at 7k, -4db at the hump that supposed to be there, 10db bass boost??.

Erik

@fulffy512
You are talking about individual bass response preference. Indeed, it varies from listener to listener and ideally you should correct it yourself to your own preference. And it would be easy to do with Etymotic earphones since they have almost linear bass response from the beginning. It does not contradict anything I wrote in my previous message though.

1561980206300.png

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I haven't heard the headphones in question but can assert plainly that this is one of the few on-line forums where members are not defensive about having their perceptions and assumptions questioned. The thing that brings everyone together here is a desire to learn from scientific data about how we hear, and how equipment measurements relate.

On a side note, I think it is really great that Etymotic makes safe headphones for kids a priority. As someone who works with kids and music, I am glad to find a company that is looking out for them. It also seems that they have IEMs for people with hearing damage/loud environments, etc. The area of hearing safety is such an important one, as we surely all agree! The data re: their sound do not lie-- either they reproduce a signal accurately or they do not-- but it makes me happy to see the focus on safety.

OP
F

fulffy512

Not to mention ear plugs for concerts being very loud.

Tks

Major Contributor
My biggest qualm with the Etymotic IEM's is their THD metrics granted these are the ER4XR, I would safely assume the THD is identical after the bass frequencies.

Comparing them to the Sennheiser IE 40's it's a pretty significant difference, especially for the price ($99 vs ~$250 to $300+). The thing about the IE 40's though is the crux of many IEM's these days, that being treble is slightly elevated (well not slightly, more like 15db at the apex of the spike at 10,500Hz).

The seal of the Etymotic though is obviously legendary, and is a massive selling point if you ask me for people who commute the way I do here in New York City.

OP
F

fulffy512

My biggest qualm with the Etymotic IEM's is their THD metrics granted these are the ER4XR, I would safely assume the THD is identical after the bass frequencies.

THD chart are mostly pointless since there variation amongst stock. The lowest XR = 0.7% and SR = 0.4%, up to 90db I highly doubt people can hear 0.9% distortion when there are other headphones that can reach 1.2%> even with dynamic drivers that are still loved. My biggest gripe is how the BA ER3/ER4 are still have more clarity than the newer ER2SE/XR and other brands which use 8mm Dynamics = <0.2%.

Sharur

Comparing them to the Sennheiser IE 40's it's a pretty significant difference, especially for the price ($99 vs ~$250 to $300+). The thing about the IE 40's though is the crux of many IEM's these days, that being treble is slightly elevated (well not slightly, more like 15db at the apex of the spike at 10,500Hz).

The seal of the Etymotic though is obviously legendary, and is a massive selling point if you ask me for people who commute the way I do here in New York City.
The Etymotic ER2SE is 49 dollars here and floors the ER4 in THD
1627889256979.png

1627889261468.png

Top Bottom