• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Etymotic ER2XR Review (IEM)

Very much agree though after a few years of ownership I've settled on 1 EQ filter as I finally decided the mids are a touch too forward for me:

View attachment 313468
1700Hz -3dB Q=1.4

I'd go further and say I think they actually sound better than my HD6XX. I just can't wear the Etys all the time as I actually need to hear stuff sometimes ;)

I just wish there was a triple flange size in between the small and large. I've resorted to buying the small frosted tips with long stem and cutting it down a little, but I can't find where to buy them anymore.
do the double flange fit you? since it comes in 4 sizes. I find them to be a bit more comfortable than the triple flange, aside from isolation they sound pretty similar to the triple given the correct fit.

Also regarding the mids, they only sound shouty to me with vocal forwards recordings like Norah Jones for example, otherwise they're pretty bang on with 6XX/650. Then again I only listen at around 60 dB, so it might sound different to peeps who listens at 70 or 80 dB

isostasy

do the double flange fit you? since it comes in 4 sizes. I find them to be a bit more comfortable than the triple flange, aside from isolation they sound pretty similar to the triple given the correct fit.

Also regarding the mids, they only sound shouty to me with vocal forwards recordings like Norah Jones for example, otherwise they're pretty bang on with 6XX/650. Then again I only listen at around 60 dB, so it might sound different to peeps who listens at 70 or 80 dB
I bought mine before they introduced the selection of double flange tips (unless they were just missing from the package) so I don't know. I would try them if you could buy them as a pack of mixed sizes but you don't seem to be able to.

I've tried making double flange tips of various sizes out of the big triple flanges and Shure triple flanges but none of them sealed in my ear.

isostasy

Has anyone tried the double flanged Spinfit CP240 tips, and if so what size do you find closest to the standard/small Ety frosted tips? I've read on head-fi that they're really good but even the smallest one is wider than the standard Ety frosted tip.

I tried some Etymotic double flange tips and they really don't agree with me. There are little struts under the largest flange which I assume are to support the shape to help seal but I still don't find them comfortable or to isolate as well as triple flange.

As Westone and Etymotic have been bought by the same parent company I've now found the long stem small frosted tips from Westone's websites but they are more expensive than I remember. Might have to just suck it up.

n.b. doubt anyone is interested but I'm no longer using my previous EQ of just reducing 1.4kHz, I use a couple of filters to bring the midrange closer to Sennheiser IE200 now.

KosherButcher

Has anyone tried the double flanged Spinfit CP240 tips, and if so what size do you find closest to the standard/small Ety frosted tips? I've read on head-fi that they're really good but even the smallest one is wider than the standard Ety frosted tip.

I tried some Etymotic double flange tips and they really don't agree with me. There are little struts under the largest flange which I assume are to support the shape to help seal but I still don't find them comfortable or to isolate as well as triple flange.

As Westone and Etymotic have been bought by the same parent company I've now found the long stem small frosted tips from Westone's websites but they are more expensive than I remember. Might have to just suck it up.

n.b. doubt anyone is interested but I'm no longer using my previous EQ of just reducing 1.4kHz, I use a couple of filters to bring the midrange closer to Sennheiser IE200 now.
I like the Westone tips on my Etys. But I prefer the FutureSonics double flange Earfills. I don’t believe they have those “struts” that the Ety tips have

Top Bottom