• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Etymotic/ Drop ERX

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well- I got these delivered this week.

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I prefer the fit to the ear mauling fit of the ER 2/3/4 range and they sound pretty good actually. Definitely could live with these without EQ. Enough bass to keep the likes of me happy and nothing too nasty higher up at the levels and types of music I have listened to on them. I dont want to say "neutral" as the Harman police will start throwing graphs around- but they sound "right" or at least right enough to my ears.

The value proposition isnt high though and I dont think anyone is missing anything in not owning these.

artburda

Well- I got these delivered this week.

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I prefer the fit to the ear mauling fit of the ER 2/3/4 range and they sound pretty good actually. Definitely could live with these without EQ. Enough bass to keep the likes of me happy and nothing too nasty higher up at the levels and types of music I have listened to on them. I dont want to say "neutral" as the Harman police will start throwing graphs around- but they sound "right" or at least right enough to my ears.

The value proposition isnt high though and I dont think anyone is missing anything in not owning these.
Thanks for your first impression.
Is the cable microphonic? I have an ER3XR and you can hear the slightest movements of the cable.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your first impression.
Is the cable microphonic? I have an ER3XR and you can hear the slightest movements of the cable.
Much better - cable doesnt look much different (different connectors obviously) but yes, the ER2/3/4 are horrid for that. I dont get beard rub noise with the ERX. I got them for using when walking to replace some ER2SE - these should be much better.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Jimbob54 do they isolate as poorly as measurements indicate?
That's assuming they're on par with the Etymotic Evo in that respect, just with a different driver layout.
isolation_740h.png
source

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jimbob54 do they isolate as poorly as measurements indicate?
That's assuming they're on par with the Etymotic Evo in that respect, just with a different driver layout.
View attachment 243976
source

Well- once i pick the right tips (the supplied Ety 2 flange work for me, the new style smooth single flange dont) I can get a decent seal. I tend to check using the alternating tones here https://asiaudio.com/pages/audio-seal-test give a decent result. They are steel shells though with a bit of weight so I can imagine if you were running you could get issues with fit/ seal and pop outs.

Not as deep nor as snug as the standard ER fit with the triple flange but more comfortable.

EDIT Actually- Im talking seal and you are talking isolation- not used them anywhere loud but I can imagine them not being as isolated as the ER barrel style. I believe the shells are the same shape as the evo so imagine your charts hold true for the ERX

Last edited:

Fregly

Nice to have another alternative for non Harman people who don't like the ear assault of the regular etys.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice to have another alternative for non Harman people who don't like the ear assault of the regular etys.
I mean, these still go pretty deep compared to some shell type iem (see the barrel in the pictures) but the 2 flange dip that works for me on these isn't in the same league as a 3 flange tip rammed in your ear on an er4

Fregly

I mean, these still go pretty deep compared to some shell type iem (see the barrel in the pictures) but the 2 flange dip that works for me on these isn't in the same league as a 3 flange tip rammed in your ear on an er4
Oh, it was hard to tell from the pics at first.

Top Bottom