• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Estimated performance of Denon AVR-X4000

K man

I got a Denon AVR-X4000 and would be really curious to get an idea of how well it would measure in comparison to the most recent models.

Now, shipping it from Sweden to @amirm might be a bit too much, and I don't know how interested he would be in testing such an old device.

However, without the ability to actually test it, I figured that with all the expertise on these receivers present in this forum I might still be able to get an idea of what could be expected.

There seem to be 24bit DAC rather than a 32bit DAC in it, but is it likely to measure similar to the more recent and tested models?

How about the power amp? Did Denon make significant improvements there since this model?

OP
K man

K man

Some years ago Amir measured a Denon AVR-4306. It's specified using a 24bit/192kHz DAC, same as the Denon AVR-X4000 is specified. Is it reasonable to assume that they are using the same kind of DAC (7 years later) and should hence measure similar?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some years ago Amir measured a Denon AVR-4306. It's specified using a 24bit/192kHz DAC, same as the Denon AVR-X4000 is specified. Is it reasonable to assume that they are using the same kind of DAC (7 years later) and should hence measure similar?

The AVR-4306, 4308, 3808, 3805 and probably a few others have the PCM1791A for the main zone and the AK4385 for the secondary zones.
For specs, you can download the datasheets:

There has been many changes, not just the DAC IC. I don't think those older AVRs will measure the same or too similar to the newer ones.

Top Bottom