• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ESS THD ‘Hump’ Investigation

zenon

I will test both 560pf and RC 560pf + R to see it can further bring down the noise and distortion on ess9038q2m

Hi!
What exactly You mean?
Place 510p to ground, place 510p to ground adding resistor...
A? B? C?

IV.JPG
(schematic is only for illustration)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I see that Jussi of HQPlayer has shared some measurements.

The IMD hump is reduced when the S2 DAC is fed DSD512.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...easonable-cost/?do=findComment&comment=971583
PreBoxS2D_imd_-20dB_44k1.thumb.png.3530a9dc5b14a99f783721d64806ec79.png

What this plot shows is that the audible band, below 20kHz is incredibly clean. As so is the ultrasonic band.

There is no spuria above - 140dB in the audible band.

However the DSD 512 in the audible band is worse with clear 8kHz packet noise and 16kHz.

DSD512 is showing no useful benefit. - 120dB or - 140db spuria in the ultrasonic range is neither here nor there. Neither have any audible impact.

PreBoxS2D_imd_-20dB_DSD512.thumb.png.d07ff0764efd14d5affc08e1eca10e0b.png

It should also be noted that real music never has content at this high level at 19 +20 kHz. - 60dB maybe

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
However the DSD 512 in the audible band is worse with clear 8kHz packet noise and 16kHz.

DSD512 is showing no useful benefit. -

You haven’t commented on the reduced IMD hump and Jussi himself already comments on the USB packet noise (-140dB).

Are you saying IMD hump, with the Pro-Ject S2 DAC, is a non-issue?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
You haven’t commented on the reduced IMD hump and Jussi himself already comments on the USB packet noise (-140dB).

Are you saying IMD hump is a non-issue?
I'm failing to see a reduced imd hump in his measurements in that post. All I see is increased spuria in the audible band with dsd512

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm failing to see a reduced imd hump in his measurements in that post.

In the post he says: “You can see the 1 kHz difference product jumps a little at -40 dBFS input level.”

and if you missed it:

“With DSD512 input due to higher data rate you can start seeing the USB packet ticking at 8 and multiples (16 kHz, 32 kHz, etc) at -140 dB level. That packet ticking part is exactly same for768k PCM input, but the IMD hump is back.”

Music1969

Major Contributor
What this plot shows is that the audible band, below 20kHz is incredibly clean.

One plot alone isn’t enough to show any kind hump (the topic of this thread) though, is it?

Are you saying IMD hump is a non-issue with this DAC?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
In the post he says: “You can see the 1 kHz difference product jumps a little at -40 dBFS input level.”

and if you missed it:

“With DSD512 input due to higher data rate you can start seeing the USB packet ticking at 8 and multiples (16 kHz, 32 kHz, etc) at -140 dB level. That packet ticking part is exactly same for768k PCM input, but the IMD hump is back.”
I didn't miss anything. What's your point?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
One plot alone isn’t enough to show any kind hump (the topic of this thread) though, is it?

Are you saying IMD hump is a non-issue with this DAC?
I am looking at all the plots in the post you linked to.

What is your interpretation of those plots in the audible band below 20kHz?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

and if you missed it:

There is an utterly miniscule difference in the 1kHz product. - 138 v - 142dB perhaps. Both those levels are utterly, utterly inaudible.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
So this IMD hump thing is a non-issue?

The hump is at inaudible levels? With this DAC anyway?
No, what I am saying is that this particular data doesn't really show us what you think it's showing.

However it does raise a question about where the IMD products are appearing. For these measurements of the S2 DAC It shows that the increase in IMD is in the ultrasonic region. This will be inaudible. Its at such a low level that this spuria won't create any further IMD in the audible band.

Hence my question to @amirm regarding the bandwidth he measures the hump over.

It's interesting that whilst we have observed the hump in measurements I have yet to see any credible observations/evidence that it's having a negative audible impact.

Also the S2 DAC may well have good suppression of the hump problem. I would have to check.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Top Bottom