• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ESS THD ‘Hump’ Investigation

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I should be getting the first DAC with ESS hump fixed in a couple of weeks.....
Still 9038q2m? That will be really interesting. Be sure to use the two test files as well. :D

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If I remember correctly, topping dx5 and dx7 were with and without hump ESS based DACs?
First generation 9018s has a different problem from 9038q2m. 9018s has noise floor modulation but doesn't cause serious imd and thd. The newer generations don't have noise floor modulation, but can cause extra imd thd easily.

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
BTW, my experiments with ES9038Q2M shows me the best THD result with Xtal(that DAC has an internal generator with variable bias) instead of an external oscillator. I investigated that topic a little and found that low phase noise is rather about the oscillator implementation than Xtal quality i.e. high precision oscillator does an excellent job with average Xtal and beats low ph-noise grade oscillator. The only problem is 100MHz Xtal in a compact footprint, I got one in 7050 case but with ES9038Q2M it behaves like 33.333MHz yet, so my experiments were performed with 50MHz Xtal.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If I remember correctly, topping dx5 and dx7 were with and without hump ESS based DACs?
Correct. That is when I first discovered the regression in intermodulation distortion.

Veri

Master Contributor
I guess non pro versions?
But you didn't make any mention of any ESS hump in this review?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...matrix-audio-element-x-dac-streamer-amp.7782/

You said: "Intermodulation distortion is likewise excellent"
It has 9038Pro. It has the slightest hint of 'hump' but it is so reduced you wouldn't use it as an example of the 'problem' for sure.

Maybe, all he said was "I should be getting the first DAC with ESS hump fixed in a couple of weeks....."
Yes, I think he means an ESS DAC with a 'revision'.

Music1969

Major Contributor
It has 9038Pro. It has the slightest hint of "hump" but it is so reduced you wouldn't use it as an example of the 'problem' for sure.

Yes, I think he means an ESS DAC with a 'revision'.

Noted. I saw someone else mention this hint of ESS hump but amir only mentioned "Intermodulation distortion is likewise excellent"

Veri

Master Contributor
Noted. I saw someone else mention this hint of ESS hump but amir only mentioned "Intermodulation distortion is likewise excellent"
Well, it is truly excellent. Okto DAC8 already got incredible IMD performance, and Matrix got it lower even further, by painstakingly experimenting and keep pushing the performance I'm sure. Very respectable engineering has been done here.

Of course, would be even better if ESS removes the symptom altogether. Then preferring chip manufacturer ie. AKM over ESS would be a moot point more than ever :)

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well, it is truly excellent. Okto DAC8 already got incredible IMD performance, and Matrix got it lower even further, by painstakingly experimenting and keep pushing the performance I'm sure. Very respectable engineering has been done here.

Of course, would be even better if ESS removes the symptom altogether. Then preferring AKM over ESS would be a moot point more than ever :) PS, you can edit your posts too btw.
Ak4499......i can't imagine what kind of beast would that be.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is the DAC with IMD hump fixed: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-new-topping-d50s-dac.7914/#post-191447

index.php

Top Bottom