• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ESS THD ‘Hump’ Investigation

KSTR

Major Contributor
Has anyone ever published spectra vs level to show the details of the hump?
Are we talking IMD or THD hump?

For THD (measured spectrally) I have seen with various chips some strange ghost frequency patterns in a certain limited level range which may or may not be related to "the IMD hump" -- I think this could be the case, though I haven't seen the phenomenon when using more than one frequency (but haven't investigated thoroughly).
For example, for the AK4490 this range centered around -40dBFS and spanning 20dB (see here), for the AK4493 things start 10...15dB earlier. And the AK4499 is reported to have that as well from reliable sources.

I now have finally understood what causes it (at least I think so), the Data Weighting Algorithm used to linearize the final DAC proper (after the multibit Delta-Sigma modulator). And from that it follows it is completely irrelevant for music playback, these limit cycles do never ever appear with music signals.

As for trimming THD/IMD, digital DC offset does a lot of things, as does sourcing/sinking DC current at the Vcm pins of AK4490/93.

Top Bottom