• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ESS Standard Filter Preference?

signalpath

Forum Donor
ESS provides 7 standard filters in their ES9026PRO DAC ICs.

Filter 1 FAST LINEAR PHASE
Filter 2 SLOW LINEAR PHASE
Filter 3 APODIZING FAST LINEAR PHAST
Filter 4 FAST MINIMUM PHASE
Filter 5 SLOW MINIMUM PHASE
Filter 6 HYBRID FAST MINIMUM
Filter 7 BRICKWALL

Due to the AKM fire, we're emergency pivoting to ESS but we can only use 6 filters.

Does anyone have an opinion on their LEAST preferred (least used) standard ESS filter? I'm thinking "Brickwall" but have no clue. And we really don't have the time or bandwidth to do comprehensive listening trials on this.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
My (humble) opinion is that I can't hear any differences between ESS filters but I'm too old to be able to hear above 15kHz. For pro application I'd think that you want a linear filter that doesn't change phase response across frequencies (one of 1, 2, 7).

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Just my observation, but every ESS DAC I've looked at has:
Linear Fast
Linear Slow
Minimum Fast
Minimum Slow

Which next two to keep?

Brick wall - is sort of historical. And technically, has the least to recommend it IMO(though others may disagree)

Others attempt to 'blend' characteristics of the first four, though those against Apodising argue it drops precision.

Drop either Apodising or Brick wall. I'd drop Brickwall. (Though your Marketing types will likely say doing that will have more negative perception than dropping, say, Hybrid)

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...ophile-dacs/pre-tuned-reconstruction-filters/

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Top Bottom