• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Espresso, anyone?

dfuller

Major Contributor
I just got myself a Gaggia Classic Pro and I think I'm hooked. If you make it - what's your setup? What beans are you using?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy whatever bean is the flavor of the day. Nothing too fancy but sometimes I buy Kicking Horse Coffee. A stovetop maker works fine for the rare occasions that I want espresso.
51cRNu8JNqS._AC_SL1200_.jpg

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mazzer SJ grinder made by Astoria. La Marzocco GS3. Bought the grinder used 11+ years ago, and the GS3 new at the same time.

Bought beans from Counter Culture for a few years, but started going more locally after that. The last 3 or so years I've been buying from Ceremony Roasters in the Annapolis area (I am assuming you are in the US, but don't know for sure). Spent some time trying beans from some other places in between.

By far the CC beans have been the best to work with. The Ceremony beans are finicky, to say the least. Channeling is a frequent issue, but the flavor is good enough that I overlook the channeling. it doesn't help that I use a bottomless portofilter, so it's pretty visible when a shot goes astray. A few local friends of mine used Ceremony for a while but all have moved on. Honestly I'd go back to CC, but it's just too dang expensive. I can get 5 lb bags from Ceremony, and they usually get delivered within 2 days of ordering. I break it into multiple smaller bags, vacuum seal them, and keep them in the freezer except for the one I am currently using (each bag is about a week supply).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Bustelo, straight out of the bag.

Yes, Bustelo in a "Mr Coffee" type generic drip-through-the-filter coffeemaker here, just made as regualar "strong" coffee...

Make a pot, have a cup, put the rest in a glass vacuum thermos, enjoy the rest over a day or three. Having some more of today's right now.

I know, "yuck" to the purist.

In Miami, at the phone/data colocation office I worked at briefly in 2002, one of the guys walked by my cage at 8:30 and said "Cocaine on the loading dock".

Being at least curious, I went down. They were doing their daily morning espresso shots.

Cafe Bustelo

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sacrilege I know but ditched a grinder and a gaggia machine years ago for nespresso.

Convenience and consistency overcame authenticity. And tbh the results (I mostly have cappuccino) are pretty good.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ever tried Luwak coffee ?
No snake oil, though in the same price range.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only Lavazza will do from the local Italian store. Bougie aye.

Tks

Major Contributor
Scared of getting into coffee. Don't wanna be like my parents chugging pints of the stuff for breakfast (and I mean literally, there's no room to eat after they've downed one of these things).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a De'Longhi Magnifica ESAM4200 Bean to Cup coffee machine (delonghi.com) in 2014 which is still working well.

It's generally filled with a bag of this once per month: Qualita Oro Coffee Beans 1kg (lavazza.co.uk)

The ESAM 4200 also does single shots of pre-ground coffee, so it's great for decaff ground, 1/2 caff (one shot of each) or the odd specialty bean (I have a De'Longhi KG79 burr coffee grinder as well)

I sometimes break out the On The Go Coffee Maker - Outdoor Coffee Machine | – Aeropress UK if i'm feeling energetic (I also have one at the office which got used a couple of times per day when I was there).

Top Tip: If you have an automatic machine, make sure you keep it lubed... FilterLogic CFL651 100g Silicone Grease for Gaskets,O-rings,Bearings- Food Grade | eBay

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
That's why you should drink espresso.

Oh I speak of coffee in general. I have the stuff from time to time, and then start wanting it daily, but then stop seeing it's pull.

Doesn't help I feel I have an addict's brain. Smoked tobacco for 8 years like a literal lunatic, 2 packs over the span of a single night at the bar - where people would be asking if I came to hang out with them, or outside the door with the bouncer smoking all night..

Quitting that actually wasn't hard really (just wanted to and did). But now everything wants to be substitute even to this day after being over 5 years clean of the disgusting garbage.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
We have a local artisanal roaster. At some point, we may bring that in-house, but for the moment, he's doing a great job.

Ostorio machine, pic here.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ECM Barista with Eureka Mignon Grinder.

Coffee comes from a local deli who roast their own. Currently drinking their "After Dinner Blend"

6C67E847-818A-4CC4-80C3-89C3051A291A_1_105_c.jpeg

mugbot

Forum Donor
My setup is a Breville smart grinder pro (can recommend, awesome for its price) and a La Pavoni Professional.

I roast my own beans with a behmor roaster. Normally something South American but I like to mix it up.
16307974994538507643436656198202.jpg

Top Bottom