• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Esoteric Mac Mini M1 query: DTS 5.1 music via USB

sfdoddsy

I've been using a 2014 Mac Mini (8GB i5) as server for quite a while, but these days it struggles at the best of times and struggles even more now I am using Roon.

A new M1 is an obvious upgrade. What is kind of holding me back is that I have a reasonable collection (1000 tracks or so) of DTS 5.1 surround music.

I used to play them via iTunes and the Mac Mini optical out to my prepro. Apple ruined that when they dumped iTunes, but I can still play them through Roon and the optical out. HDMI doesn't work because the Mini upsamples everything to 48K via HDMI and DTS audio needs to bit perfect 44.1K pass through.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the M1 USB port will allow bit perfect 44.1?

I would then use a USB converter to give me a SPDIF stream for the pre pro.

It isn't a deal breaker as I would rather the 50K other tracks in my library play without glitches, but it would be nice.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to play them via iTunes and the Mac Mini optical out to my prepro. Apple ruined that when they dumped iTunes…
What is the problem you experience with Apple Music app?

OP
S

sfdoddsy

The Apple Music app no longer plays DTS music files.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Apple Music app no longer plays DTS music files.
I didn’t know that. Aren’t there other players that you can use?

OP
S

sfdoddsy

Sorry, I have been misinforming people. I have managed to get Apple Music (from OS Monterey) playing DTS music files through the optical out (but not the HDMI out). Although Roon is a little more intuitive.

I bought a USB to optical converter and can also play DTS files through USB.

I can't see any reason this wouldn't work with the M1 Mini, so all seems good.

Top Bottom