• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eris E5 and Kali LP6 Data (in my room). Which data do you guys prefer :-)?

Slyman

I recently upgraded my Eris E5 to the Kali LP6 which i am now turning back due to internal amp issue. However before sending back i made a simple REW meassure in my room. It's very quick and rough so probably not the most valid data, but for why not reasons here it goes:
E5 vs LP6.jpg

Or on top of eachother:
E5 vs LP6 2.jpg

Ofcourse this is coloured by my room (its no way near anechoic or fancy its just the ECM8000, the setup was quick and the washer was in the kitchen with a lil background noise). My room is light to moderately decorated with rockwool panels and cheap bass traps.

I did subjective listening test (where i put a high pass filter from 80hz so i wouldn't be distracted by the bass) which came to:

- Eris E5: Much more in your face. Pronounced highs. Makes voices and high end more present. Maybe a little shouty sound.
- Kali LP6: More conceiled or perhaps "neutral" sound. Maybe a little hiding sound, but not necessarily more boxy.

At the moment my ears can't difference between the mids sounds.

Really i don't know what is the best tho, but low score or not, i could work with both i guess.

What do you guys think? Which one of the frequency response do you guys prefer?

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2023-01-08 kl. 18.05.29.png
    Skærmbillede 2023-01-08 kl. 18.05.29.png
    355 KB · Views: 133
  • Skærmbillede 2023-01-08 kl. 18.10.34.png
    Skærmbillede 2023-01-08 kl. 18.10.34.png
    347.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Red looks smoother to me. Have you considered calculating and applying PEQ to both and remeasuring them to see which takes correction best?

OP
S

Slyman

Red looks smoother to me. Have you considered calculating and applying PEQ to both and remeasuring them to see which takes correction best?
Thanks for the tip. I am applying PEQ below 300hz (i read somewhere you shouldn't do it higher than that), however i don't have the possibility to apply system wide EQ (god damn macbooks with no equalizer APO) and meassurement after. Also the LP6 is in a box now.

Also how 2x Eris E5 meassures in room at nearfield listening position. I guess this is a pretty bad room/speaker situation i have?
E5 nu.jpg

Simple PEQ settings after this meassurement is smaller cuts at 105hz, 176hz and 256hz and a big cut at 133hz. Both the Eris e5 and Kali lp6 needed almost the exact same EQ settings. I guess the lesson learned is that so much depending on room and a lot less on monitor.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2023-01-08 kl. 18.33.49.png
    Skærmbillede 2023-01-08 kl. 18.33.49.png
    296.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Looks like red has a good amount deeper bass. The rest is hard to say. If you like bass go with red. ;)

OP
S

Slyman

Looks like red has a good amount deeper bass. The rest is hard to say. If you like bass go with red. ;)
Yeah. I think i'm going blue though and buying a small sub (down to 30hz -10db) with them. As you can see my room has a pretty big null at 80hz (and a smaller one at 60hz) at listening position, so hoping that it may fix it and not introduce more problems lol.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It feels like another episode of speakers barely mattering beyond +\- 3dB of linearity and where the heck is Dirac’s Active room treatment thing.

OP
S

Slyman

It feels like another episode of speakers barely mattering beyond +\- 3dB of linearity and where the heck is Dirac’s Active room treatment thing.
Yes i hoped you enjoyed the episode. So you would not say that theres considerable difference between them? I mean given that the eris e5 are absolutely cheap studio monitors (and their evolution e5 XT has a low preference score) i guess its always nice to know not just for me but also for other not rich music producers that you dont need expensive monitors.

Last edited:

suzook

Amazing how kali knows about the bad amplifier, and leaves all of them on the shelf, and in wharehouses waiting to be sold to the public. They should be ashamed of themselves.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Amazing how kali knows about the bad amplifier, and leaves all of them on the shelf, and in wharehouses waiting to be sold to the public. They should be ashamed of themselves.
What bad amp?

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i don't have the possibility to apply system wide EQ (god damn macbooks with no equalizer APO) and meassurement after
I would suggest that you have a look at SoundSource.

suzook

Thx, did not know. From where is this information?
I'm not sure why it's not all over the internet? It's a known issue. I and others here have discussed it. Kali does replace the amps if you request it, but imo, they should have recalled all bad units.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I'm not sure why it's not all over the internet? It's a known issue. I and others here have discussed it. Kali does replace the amps if you request it, but imo, they should have recalled all bad units.

Thx, not nice. And somehow strange,

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Can you be so kind to include some links to support your claims? Thanks ;)

AdamG

Forum Donor

suzook

You made the claims not them. Now asking you for the second time to provide some reference links that substantiate your claims of the below quote.
https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/comments/rpzwml Post in thread 'Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...e-studio-monitors-released.27557/post-1409656

Do I need to continue??? I wouldn't lie about this

AdamG

Forum Donor
https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/comments/rpzwml Post in thread 'Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...e-studio-monitors-released.27557/post-1409656

Do I need to continue??? I wouldn't lie about this
You provided one external link to a single complaint, and the other two links are at ASR, and your the author. We trust but verify. When a member makes the claims you have been making. Essentially since you joined and continues to make complaints. Claims that allude to fraudulent business practices we naturally seek supporting evidence. You have failed to provide any evidence beyond your own posts and a singular complaint at another forum site.

I am going to give you a brief break from posting to consider exactly why you are here.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes i hoped you enjoyed the episode. So you would not say that theres considerable difference between them? I mean given that the eris e5 are absolutely cheap studio monitors (and their evolution e5 XT has a low preference score) i guess its always nice to know not just for me but also for other not rich music producers that you dont need expensive monitors.
I wouldn't say any of that based on a single in-room measurement. From that, you can really only evaluate general tonal balance at moderate level. It doesn't tell you anything about the spatial presentation(how the off-axis sound interacts with the room) nor does it tell you anything about output/compression.

The Kalis I assume have more bass, and definitely have better output due to the larger woofer. It seems like they do probably have better balanced tonality as well. I don't see much of a price difference between the E5s and the LP-6, the E5s are on sale right now but normally it's $300/pr vs $400/pr. To me that's basically no difference so the LP-6 are the obvious pick here, if you have space.

If you're looking for night and day differences between small 2-ways around the same price point, you're definitely not going to find that. The LP-6 is pretty much as good as it gets for its size and price, aside from vertical dispersion.

Top Bottom