• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ErinsAudioCorner

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Erin, giveaways on Youtube are a super easy way to grow your channel with subscribers.

Just make a video to say what the requirements are, who can enter (what country), and when the giveaway ends.

Just saying...

I have no issues with using Facebook to do the giveaways. I’ve done it before. I quite like it.

Just sayin... ;)

Beave

Major Contributor
LOL... Man, I know how to desolder. But, the point is... they would see the pictures and tests of the drivers off on their own and know what I did. I don't want to do that. Especially since the plan is for them to send me some more stuff to review after these. ;)

Just post the measurements under the name Aaron's Audio Corner. They'll never know who did it! ;-)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, with all respect, and absolutely no intent to flame or otherwise cause a problem - we forgo perhaps extremely interesting tests because the sponsor might be unhappy?

I'm not clear on what benefit driver tests here would provide consumers.

You can't buy the drivers. They're proprietary, and I would not be surprised if Revel needs a serial number to sell a replacement. (I do not know one way or the other.) If it used offbeat off-the-shelf drivers then I could see the DIYer interest in seeing raw driver data, because a DIYer could buy those drivers and use them in their own application.

So what's the point of testing the drivers outside the system they're designed to work in?

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
So what's the point of testing the drivers outside the system they're designed to work in?

Beats me. Erin will measure all of the relevant system performance characteristics, so what difference does it make what the raw driver characteristics are, other than pure intellectual curiosity to see how Harman delt, or failed to deal, with any problem areas?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
curiosity to see how Harman delt, or failed to deal, with any problem areas?

Possibly could lead to improvements. Happened before:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...-pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-diy-modifications.610820/

Perhaps a current question (mine at least) where such driver measurements might lead to improvements - the much discussed Infinity R162. Measures good enough that DSP PEQ 'corrections' make it punch 'well above it's price' - Except - it's high distortion spike. I think I've read about as many posts blaming the tweeter as the woofer. Which is it? Measuring each driver might tell us which - or both. And knowing that, we can proceed to consider corrections.(xover, whatever).

I'm personally one who thinks you can never have too much information about anything. You can certainly question the value of getting it - but it's value often has an annoying dependency on that which you beforehand don't know. That is, it's value isn't known until you have it.

Enough from me on this topic. Looking forward to Erin's review of the Revel tower - and many more..:)

Beave

Major Contributor
The Huey Lewis t-shirt makes me think of Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. Hopefully you don't take a chainsaw to these speakers! :p

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that's what he says in the video

Gotcha. Didn't watch the video. I'm not even sure I paid attention to the link because when I saw "PSA" I thought "Power Sound Audio." :)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotcha. Didn't watch the video. I'm not even sure I paid attention to the link because when I saw "PSA" I thought "Power Sound Audio." :)
On that note, I do want to see PowerSoundAudio speakers tested by someone. Matthew Poes measured a JTR and they were surprisingly really good, and I consider PSA a little brother to JTR in terms of design and offerings.

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
I like the looks/size/form factor of the F226Be better than just about any other Revel speaker. The 208, 228, 328, and Ultima series towers are just too big & bulky for my taste.

I bought the f208. But, imo, the f206 was the more attractive speaker. The dimensions just suite the size.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
As part of my review process, I’ll listen to speakers in different settings (rooms) over multiple days. I feel like this helps to get me acclimated to the speakers' sound instead of me giving a knee-jerk reaction. Often times first impressions do not live up to long-term scrutiny. Kind of like how bright speakers may sound detailed at first but over time are just aggravating and annoying.

As I listen, I often use my phone to take quick notes on things I do or do not like while I am enjoying different music or a movie. This is one such note I jotted down about the F226Be:
“Incredible dynamic range. I can listen at 65dB and feel content. Good speaker to sit and go through your entire library. But.., they will play 105dB at 14 feet without breaking a sweat.”

These speakers were shaking the walls in my living room. And there was no audible distortion (mechanical or acoustical) even when playing at very high levels. The below picture shows I was hovering around 100-105dB at 14 feet. That's without a subwoofer.

Then, Saturday night I took the opportunity to fire up Huey Lewis and the News’ Sports tour via YouTube. Yea, YT Audio quality sucks. But, I tell you what... I absolutely enjoyed that hour sitting on the couch listening to that through the Revels. No ear fatigue from having to turn it up like normal to get good dynamics. I can’t tell you the last time I was able to listen to music for that long without having ear fatigue. This might just be my favorite feature of these speakers; that I don't feel the need to turn the volume up to unsafe levels for extended listening times.

These speakers kick ass.

As for testing... these speakers are kicking my ass. They're heavy. I tried to start measuring this past weekend but it was too windy.

Few photos. Oh, and if you haven't heard these songs, you might want to check them out.

6757AB85-96B0-462E-B6CE-D1C46AFD9BA4.jpeg

9A1B3FEE-304D-44C6-913F-4205E4B95C4F.jpg

8CE05EEC-0B35-4B1B-8FE4-52C71EC4FDE5.jpg

0585CBD0-0BDA-4CF2-8987-AFA121F1B38A.jpg

3000E589-E073-462A-8817-A7A44C8506D0.jpg

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You can't buy the drivers. They're proprietary, and I would not be surprised if Revel needs a serial number to sell a replacement. (I do not know one way or the other.) If it used offbeat off-the-shelf drivers then I could see the DIYer interest in seeing raw driver data, because a DIYer could buy those drivers and use them in their own application.

It is possible that the drivers are in fact very similar to off the shelf SB drivers. It will be interesting to see how closely they measure to those. Maybe someone will reverse engineer something like a F226be, but it will be $2,000. They could call it the Rebel C65we (short for cheap 6.5" weeeeeeee).

Top Bottom