• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ErinsAudioCorner

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I dunno... it's all a one-sided story at this point. Maybe if we heard the Revel side of the story it would reflect poorly elsewhere. Point is, we don't know the details. Don't think we ever will. And without more information, there's nothing left but speculation. I'm ready for the next topic. :)

samysound

I dunno... it's all a one-sided story at this point. Maybe if we heard the Revel side of the story it would reflect poorly elsewhere. Point is, we don't know the details. Don't think we ever will. And without more information, there's nothing left but speculation. I'm ready for the next topic. :)
This is a good point. There is really not enough data at this point to make a conclusion based on some macro photographs and a few facebook posts. Would be nice to hear from Revel but my guess is we will not...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Haven't had time to look in on doings in here for a while. Nice work!

Beave

Major Contributor
Yikes. That's a great way to get a massive lawsuit from a large company - talk about internal affairs. :facepalm:

Indeed. IF Revel has made such blatant copies of SB Acoustics drivers, then they could be legally liable for patent and/or copyright infringements.

Beave

Major Contributor
I think Revel can withstand this onslaught, assuming they really did use genuine SB drivers initially. If you then outsource drivers that look pretty much identical to SB Acoustic ceramics, you should expect that might get out. Most of us smaller speaker "companies" are very up front about the heritage of our drivers.

Not the SB Acoustics ceramics, but the regular aluminum SB woofers with the 'ribs.'

Beave

Major Contributor
I still think it's a misunderstanding.

These are not confirmed facts, but this is what I *think* is true:

1. The Revel Performa3 used SB Acoustics drivers, the aluminum cones.
2. The Revel Performa3 *still* uses SB Acoustics drivers with the aluminum cones.
3. When the PerformaBe series came out, everybody assumed they also used SB Acoustics drivers, the ceramic cones.
4. They were wrong. The PerformaBe series uses Revel ceramic drivers made in China.
5. A quote from former SB Acoustics persons implies Revel started out using SB Acoustics, then copied them and started making their own copies.
6. That quote doesn't tell us which Revel he was referring to - the Performa3 or the PerformaBe - nor which SB drivers they supposedly copied - the standard aluminum or the ceramic.
7. Revel may have started out working with SB Acoustics on a ceramic driver for their PerformaBe series, then changed their plans and went with their own ceramic drivers that ARE NOT copies of the SB Acoustics ceramic drivers.

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Future test - no one better than Erin to test both Revel SB acoustics, Performa3, PerformaBe/Chinese clone(?) and for good measure, Infinity R263 woofers - that I really would like to see. Super shootout!

Last edited:

samysound

Future test - no one better than Erin to test both Revel SB acoustics, Performa3, PerformaBe/Chinese clone, and for good measure, Infinity R263 woofers - that I really would like to see. Super shootout!
Read post #489, The revel PerformaBe drivers are not "clones"

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
This is certainly cornfusing. My best guess is that they're both excellent drivers. Whichever they are. I'm sure Revel wouldn't use anything less. On to the speaker review. Whichever it is.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I snapped some cool pix. I planned to test the drivers separately but they don't disconnect. They'd have to be de-soldered. I don't want to go through that (and, frankly, I wouldn't feel right doing that since these aren't mine).

DSC06638.JPG

DSC06636.JPG

Tweeter photos:

DSC06634.JPG

DSC06662.JPG

DSC06660.JPG

Midrange vs Midwoofer (top vs bottom). Look at the surround. Notice how much slimmer the surround on the midrange is? I have to think this is to help with not just the midrange but also the tweeter. But maybe I'm wrong.

DSC06655.JPG

DSC06657.JPG

Midrange pictures:

DSC06647.JPG

DSC06650.JPG

DSC06651.JPG

DSC06652.JPG

Midwoofer Pictures:

DSC06665.JPG
DSC06670.JPG

DSC06669.JPG

Attachments

• DSC06663.JPG
    DSC06663.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 119

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
They'd have to be de-soldered. I don't want to go through that
No no no! Can I send you an iron? Easy peezy..really! Nothing should get hurt. It's no worse than removing from the cabinet..

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
No no no! Can I send you an iron? Easy peezy..really!

LOL... Man, I know how to desolder. But, the point is... they would see the pictures and tests of the drivers off on their own and know what I did. I don't want to do that. Especially since the plan is for them to send me some more stuff to review after these. ;)

Ericglo

Can I like it here, and be entered? Oops never mind I read the last sentence in the post. Awesome contest, and congrats to the winner!

I guess I don't understand. Can we enter here or do we have to do it on Facebook?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Erin, giveaways on Youtube are a super easy way to grow your channel with subscribers.

Just make a video to say what the requirements are, who can enter (what country), and when the giveaway ends.

Just saying...

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I don't want to do that. Especially since the plan is for them to send me some more stuff to review
So, with all respect, and absolutely no intent to flame or otherwise cause a problem - we forgo perhaps extremely interesting tests because the sponsor might be unhappy?

I'm reminded of amir's earlier Schitt reviews. Eventually, Schitt took the negatives and learned from them. Product improved.

Could this not be the case with Revel?

You tests are the most comprehensive, thorough, and informative of any driver tests. Period. Why not give Revel the benefit of them?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
So, with all respect, and absolutely no intent to flame or otherwise cause a problem - we forgo perhaps extremely interesting tests because the sponsor might be unhappy?

I'm reminded of amir's earlier Schitt reviews. Eventually, Schitt took the negatives and learned from them. Product improved.

Could this not be the case with Revel?

You tests are the most comprehensive, thorough, and informative of any driver tests. Period. Why not give Revel the benefit of them?

I wish I hadn’t mentioned it. Time is another factor. I simply don’t want to do a complete deconstruction. That’s that.

Top Bottom