• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ErinsAudioCorner

Selah Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
We need to get some better listening material for you. :D

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
We need to get some better listening material for you. :D

I know what I like. And orchestral music ain't it, sir! Every time I read one of these speaker reviews where they wax poetic about some trumpet soloist or a conductor's wand making wind noises in the air, I think "who the heck actually listens to this junk". :p :D

I kid. I kid.

Well, kind of.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Moving an orchestral mass is not easy, much less for bookshelf speakers. With high-quality recordings and dynamic range you can appreciate the limitations of the loudspeakers (and amplifiers) very well.

Sure... but some of the material I chose has a lot going on in it, too, you know. Besides, if I don't care for the music (like orchestral) then it is no good to me as a reviewer. And therefore it does not help anyone. If you don't like my selections for review that's fine. But they still get the job done for me. And the data is the story. Which is why I make the statement right up front stating as much. Don't let yourself get bogged down in things that are trivial.

maty

Major Contributor
[ Now that we have that out of the way, this is a list of my demo music:

You Don’t Mess Around With Jim Jim Croce 24 karat Gold In A Bottle (DCC) ]

15th January 2020

Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim (1972), Vinyl, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab 1982, US
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post6045730.html by maty
Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim (1982, Vinyl) | Discogs

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR12 -0.43 dB -14.21 dB 3:00 01-You Don't Mess Around With Jim
DR13 -0.05 dB -16.45 dB 2:52 02-Tomorrow's Gonna Be A Brighter Day
DR12 -1.72 dB -16.35 dB 3:05 03-New York's Not My Home
DR13 -0.05 dB -14.33 dB 2:25 04-Hard Time Losin' Man
DR11 -3.17 dB -16.74 dB 2:05 05-Photographs And Memories
DR13 -2.45 dB -17.79 dB 2:50 06-Walkin' Back To Georgia
DR12 -1.99 dB -16.57 dB 3:46 07-Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels)
DR12 -1.71 dB -17.42 dB 2:26 08-Time In A Bottle
DR14 -0.77 dB -16.65 dB 2:43 09-Rapid Roy (The Stock Car Boy)
DR14 -1.17 dB -18.11 dB 2:25 10-Box #10
DR13 -1.17 dB -16.16 dB 2:20 11-A Long Time Ago
DR13 -0.05 dB -15.38 dB 2:43 12-Hey Tomorrow
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks: 12
Official DR value: DR13

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Oh, brother. Come on, man. Out of everything I wrote. The hours and hours and hours of data I poured through, the images and text I provided... the only thing you can muster up is that Jim Croce has too high a dynamic range to be useful in subjective evaluations? You seem to ignore that the Bruno Mars track registers as a 7 on DRDB. I chose music I know well and like to listen to and that covers a wide range of genres so I can see how they perform. I don't choose music to make others happy. If you can't appreciate the information I am giving then that's on you. But trying to get me to listen to orchestral music to satisfy your needs in my subjective evaluations just is not going to happen. By that same token, I could suggest you expand your boundaries and make yourself listen to the tracks I do. ;)

42f3c297041f68df59c1a3643da43f85.jpg

:)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Oh, brother. Come on, man. Out of everything I wrote. The hours and hours and hours of data I poured through, the images and text I provided... the only thing you can muster up is that Jim Croce has too high a dynamic range to be useful in subjective evaluations? You seem to ignore that the Bruno Mars track registers as a 7 on DRDB. I chose music I know well and like to listen to and that covers a wide range of genres so I can see how they perform. I don't choose music to make others happy. If you can't appreciate the information I am giving then that's on you. But trying to get me to listen to orchestral music to satisfy your needs in my subjective evaluations just is not going to happen. By that same token, I could suggest you expand your boundaries and make yourself listen to the tracks I do. ;)

42f3c297041f68df59c1a3643da43f85.jpg

:)
Welcome to the internet 2020.

maty

Major Contributor
The higher the dynamic range the better to test. And that Jim Croce has it.

As for your analysis, the logical thing is to do it in the other thread that you have opened, where the graphs are and not here, I say.

Anyway, yourself.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Thank you for the new kind of directivity graphics! I've been dreaming of those

Selah Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I know what I like. And orchestral music ain't it, sir! Every time I read one of these speaker reviews where they wax poetic about some trumpet soloist or a conductor's wand making wind noises in the air, I think "who the heck actually listens to this junk". :p :D

I kid. I kid.

Well, kind of.
It's not so much the music though I did suffer from it while managing a music store in the early 80's.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Just gonna throw this out here...

I am on a beta test program for Minidsp/Dirac Live 2.0+. But the new versions of DL HAVE to have a 64-bit machine. I verified this directly (see attached).

Unfortunately, my measurement laptop that I use all my software for Klippel, REW, Dirac, etc is 32-bit. I can’t run the new DL versions on this. So great... Now just when I was kind of getting caught back up with all the funds I’ve spent on test gear I find out I need a new laptop. I’ve been looking at refurbished everything but thought I’d ask here if anyone happens to have a 64-bit laptop with windows 10 pro they would be willing to sell before I have to cough up $400+ on a refurb Dell/HP/etc.

Attachments

• F0555299-3EA9-4488-A62C-1A4AA5FB3272.png
    F0555299-3EA9-4488-A62C-1A4AA5FB3272.png
    833.9 KB · Views: 121
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I just received some cool news. A fellow on another forum replied to one of my threads and said: "I've been in contact with Bohdan about your circular directivity plot, and this type of plot will be available in the next version of SoundEasy, V26. I think it will be 180 degree only, not the entire 360 degree view that you've provided, but that's good enough for me."

I kinda felt like this when I saw the news...

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Just an update on my progress...

I have just completed testing of the Neumi BS5 bookshelf speaker.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumi-bs5-bookshelf-speaker-review.14404/

I have been in talks with Neumi since I shared the review with them and they have been nice enough to offer up a pair of the BS5 speakers for me to giveaway. I mentioned this in the thread linked above.

I have also been in talks with a couple manufacturers on receiving some review samples (of stuff I cannot afford to purchase myself) and should be seeing product within the end of the month. Overall, the COVID-19 situation has caused many to have to cease production and/or not be able to get to their review samples so we are just waiting it out. I even had an hour-long skype chat with one yesterday morning so they could get a feel for who I am and my goals ... it was a truly great conversation. I have never spoken with a manufacturer who has been so willing to share information with me and appreciates what we all are trying to do with the science of things. It was really cool. I'll share more details when their product arrives.

I also spent about an hour on skype with Klippel Wednesday morning, giving and receiving input on how we both can make the process easier for me and some things they plan to address in the future. Those folks are awesome!

And, finally.... When I started this venture my goal was to conduct my reviews via YouTube and my website was to be the location where the data was placed. It takes hours and hours to type up a review and a video is more "my speed". As part of the YT review I would use my site in screen-capture mode, scroll through the data and discuss the analysis. Well, I got a bit excited about testing and ran through the Buchardt, Jamo and Neumi speakers without taking time to do a YT review before moving to the next one. Therefore, I am purposely not testing anything for the next few weeks so I can start working on those videos. I don't know how it's going to turn out but I gotta start somewhere.

So, yea... good stuff coming. I appreciate all the support from you folks here. :)

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Well, I have crossed a pretty big hurdle in regards to my reviews. I have finally created and published some video reviews on YouTube.

I thought I would share a few of the videos with you guys who might be interested in following along. I just started the video reviews last week so I am still in the early stages of learning how to convey the message I want… and my ADHD isn’t helping me, lol. But, I’m having fun with it and I hope viewers are able to take something away from it that currently doesn’t seem to be provided elsewhere.

I will be asking for feedback soon. I already have a list of things I would like opinions on from viewers. I just want to give folks some time to watch at least one video to understand what I'm trying to do. But, I know there are areas that can absolutely be improved upon. I just don't want to get in to that until people have seen what I'm doing because I don't want to have to say "I do that" or "watch the video" over and over. :D

To start things off, I reviewed the Jamo S807 floorstanding speaker. I make no mystery of the fact this thing is terrible. There doesn’t seem to be many reviewers willing to call a spade a spade. I think it’s important to let people know what they’re getting and in this case, it’s a terrible product. I was really hoping it wouldn’t be, though.

Then I reviewed the Buchardt S400 bookshelf speaker.

And most recently, I wrapped up my review of the $90/pair Neumi bookshelf speakers. These little dudes impressed me.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Hopefully you get viewers sending interesting speakers sent your way.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I have crossed a pretty big hurdle in regards to my reviews. I have finally created and published some video reviews on YouTube.

I thought I would share a few of the videos with you guys who might be interested in following along. I just started the video reviews last week so I am still in the early stages of learning how to convey the message I want… and my ADHD isn’t helping me, lol. But, I’m having fun with it and I hope viewers are able to take something away from it that currently doesn’t seem to be provided elsewhere.

I will be asking for feedback soon. I already have a list of things I would like opinions on from viewers. I just want to give folks some time to watch at least one video to understand what I'm trying to do. But, I know there are areas that can absolutely be improved upon. I just don't want to get in to that until people have seen what I'm doing because I don't want to have to say "I do that" or "watch the video" over and over. :D

To start things off, I reviewed the Jamo S807 floorstanding speaker. I make no mystery of the fact this thing is terrible. There doesn’t seem to be many reviewers willing to call a spade a spade. I think it’s important to let people know what they’re getting and in this case, it’s a terrible product. I was really hoping it wouldn’t be, though.

Then I reviewed the Buchardt S400 bookshelf speaker.

And most recently, I wrapped up my review of the $90/pair Neumi bookshelf speakers. These little dudes impressed me.

Subscribed - good luck!

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
A fellow hobbyist made a 3.5 hour drive (one-way) today to deliver some speakers for me to test.

Philharmonic BMR
Focal Twin 6 Be
Canton Chrono SL 536.2
Canton Vento 830.2
Mirage OMD-5 (this one intrigues me

I don’t know when these all will be tested because I am hoping/planning on a couple manufacturers to send me their speakers that will jump ahead of the pack. But I plan to start soon.

I also ordered a set of the Micca MB42X to see how they compare to the Neumi BS5 I just tested.

Lots of good things happening that I’m really excited about. Thanks for playing along, everyone.

- Erin

E1EDF374-C5E1-4DA1-ABFC-EB6EBC2173A8.jpeg
16E356CA-0C5F-477E-AC83-37678CFE2F16.jpeg
2DE9EBC5-F730-439A-BA5C-EFEA51927426.jpeg
1003338F-0D57-44AD-8958-00256CD83FA4.jpeg
814A74DB-4122-4C2D-854A-F3D3CBA2D301.jpeg
7BA708BF-AE15-4055-8240-C3CE5B5D0F83.jpeg
4D0A2E99-C692-49B9-8428-23335CD3637D.jpeg
FFBC3FAA-C2A3-4B9D-87BA-9A0E7C614292.jpeg

Top Bottom