• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Review of KEF Q250c Center Discussion

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you find this data to be useful don't forget to subscribe to Erin's Youtube channel here.

Donate to him directly on paypal or subscribe to his patron here.

Looks Like we got a decent rival for the KEF R2c. a much more linear offering than the KEF Q650c. However this speaker has two passive radiators not two actual bass drivers.

Read the full review here.

CEA2034%20--%20Kef%20Q250c.png

Kef%20Q250c_360_Horizontal_Polar.png

Kef%20Q250c_Compression.png

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I’m usually on these reviews like a moth to a flame, but I must have missed this one. :D
Thanks for posting.

Spin looks much better than Q650C:

Erin, make sure all graphs say Q250c, since a few say Q250.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is great. I've been looking for a reasonably priced centre with good peformance out to +45 degrees horizontal to cover the side couch where the wife sits.

Beave

Major Contributor
Q250C spin does look better than Q650C spin. But in all other measurements (distortion, compression) it's worse. Not too surprising. The woofer of the Q650C provides some benefit but presents some problems as well.

darthe

Thinking of upgrading my BIC 5.1 system in my small apt, with medium sized rectangular living room

so KEF q150 + Q250c across the front and probably keep some of the BIC to do surround for now a reasonable choice?

one small couch and 90% of the time just me sitting center.

warthor

What was the preference score of this speaker? I am quite interested to see. It might be one of the best value center channels.

Ozymand1as

I found one of these used, like new. Should have it soon to try out.

The horizontal center speaker is an unfortunate part of my setup. I have tried non-coaxial 3-way designs and was not thrilled. I figured perhaps an inexpensive co-axial is worth trying out, since it seems to have far less compromises. Directivity should be sufficient for my seating positions.

Initially I tested a horizontal KEF Q350, but that was a no-go. I believe the problem is the big directivity error at/below 1 kHz combining with the on-axis wavefront as it reflects off my floor. I basically get a really nasty peak and null in the FRF, which coincides with the primary frequency range of human voice. No es bueno. Upright, on a speaker stand, the Q350 is fine though.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I have the last gen, hard to find now days maybe I will mix them with this one. Wondering what's the best bang for the buck in the `~$600 range.

Ozymand1as

The KEF 250c seemingly can be had for 50% off MSRP in the used market, unless I was just lucky. I would prefer to try the R2C, but that one seems less available second-hand. Could also use a horizontal R3, but that is also too rich for my blood.

Ciobi69

The KEF 250c seemingly can be had for 50% off MSRP in the used market, unless I was just lucky. I would prefer to try the R2C, but that one seems less available second-hand. Could also use a horizontal R3, but that is also too rich for my blood.
Idid find a shop online in Germany that was selling a single R3 ex demo for 500,crazy that placed orizontaly beat most of the center channels

Ozymand1as

I got my q250c in yesterday and tried it out with my wife. The frequency response and SPL at the main 3 seating positions are much improved over the not so great 2-way center I had before. She used to complain that the dialogue was hard to hear when to me it sounded fine.

Unfortunately I purchased the 2-way back before I had done proper research and didn't realize how poorly they perform.

Ata

Forum Donor
so KEF q150 + Q250c across the front and probably keep some of the BIC to do surround for now a reasonable choice?

What would be benefit of this setup, with a Q250c as a centre speaker, as compared to having Q150 RCL, if a subwoofer is employed (in many people's opinion, a must) with a xover of 80-120 Hz?

Ozymand1as

I imagine it depends on the setup. The q150 is rear-ported whereas the q250c is sealed. Otherwise I suspect they are very similar looking at the frequency response curves. The q250c does seem very overpriced at MSRP, comparatively.

Ata

Forum Donor
Good point, note that Q150 has a bung to plug the port if needed and seal the box.

Putter

Forum Donor
I imagine it depends on the setup. The q150 is rear-ported whereas the q250c is sealed. Otherwise I suspect they are very similar looking at the frequency response curves. The q250c does seem very overpriced at MSRP, comparatively.
Besides being sealed, it also has less depth which would fit my desktop setup and maybe other people's setups better. Don't disagree that the price structure is rather high especially at list.

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
Idid find a shop online in Germany that was selling a single R3 ex demo for 500,crazy that placed orizontaly beat most of the center channels

Do you mind sharing which shop was that that would sell R3's in odd numbers? Considering to get three for my LCR but I only find them sold in pairs...

Ciobi69

Do you mind sharing which shop was that that would sell R3's in odd numbers? Considering to get three for my LCR but I only find them sold in pairs...
It should be this i knew probably another site but i forget !

dudeman

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully this helps you and others.

I live in Germany, and buy many things on-line.

This link:idealo.de has links to many European/German on-line merchants that sell single KEF R3s.

I bought a set of Q150s from this website yesterday. KEF product pricing is all over the place over here though, price can increase €100 overnight, then back down again a few days later. I paid €165 Each for my Q150s yesterday; today they are €225 Each.

After looking at most of the links, it seems like the ability to purchase "one" speaker is the norm with most of them. As far as I could tell, virtually every speaker you can think of can be purchased individually from most of the on-line retailers in Germany.

There are pictures for almost everything on the web site, but "Lautsprecher" is the German word for speaker.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom