• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's KEF R5 review

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Erin reviewed this a while back, but nobody has really commented here. Given how popular the R3 is, I thought I would see what people who know more than me think.

(Apologies if we are not supposed to cross-post these reviews. I lost track of whether there are any remaining issues between the two websites.)
EDIT: Apparently all is fine per Adam below. You can ignore this.

Last edited:

temps

That is pretty disappointing, honestly. Total rollercoaster. I had shortlisted the larger R floorstanders for new mains in my HT, based on the strong performance of the R3... I think this is enough to strike them off the list.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
That is pretty disappointing, honestly. Total rollercoaster. I had shortlisted the larger R floorstanders for new mains in my HT, based on the strong performance of the R3... I think this is enough to strike them off the list.
What Is disappointing?

-----
People post this in the R3 review :)

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Performance is really similar to the R3, but I'd like to see the R7 or even R11, personally, as you get a real woofage increase.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Performance is really similar to the R3, but I'd like to see the R7 or even R11, personally, as you get a real woofage increase.
This is R3 VS R7, much lower distortion and a bit more sensivity in woofer
GetAttachmentThumbnail

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Erin reviewed this a while back, but nobody has really commented here. Given how popular the R3 is, I thought I would see what people who know more than me think. (Apologies if we are not supposed to cross-post these reviews. I lost track of whether there are any remaining issues between the two websites.)

There are no conflicts. Members and indeed Erin himself are welcome to post reviews here. So it’s all good! :cool:

tecnogadget

No surprises at all. This only confirms my theory that there is more value on bookshelf + subwoofers than any tower.

Bookshelf has less resonance since its sturdier (towers have larger panels so bracing is less effective unless you overengineer like magico or matrix bracing), directivity will be better because the design is simpler only having 1 bass driver, etc.

Lets face it, if you want to achieve nirvana, one or two DSPed’ subwoofers will be necessary even if you have towers...But manufacturers still need to offer different line ups...choices...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Here is an overlay of the R3 (bold lines) and the R5 (transparent lines).

To me bass extension is the same, but the R3 is smoother specially in the midrange, while being a little brighter too.

index.php

Last edited:

temps

What Is disappointing?

-----
People post this in the R3 review :)
I misremembered the R3 as being flatter than it is... but for a bigger speaker to have basically exactly the same bass response? Yuck

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I misremembered the R3 as being flatter than it is... but for a bigger speaker to have basically exactly the same bass response? Yuck
Erin's sample is slightly brighter than Amir's but at such levels of linearity who cares?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Keep in mind that the R5 is using dual 5.25'' instead of the 6.5'' and a smaller shadow flare
But you can always put subs in any tower, like this guy

KMO

The R5 is effectively on a different branch to the R7 and R11.

R3, R7 and R11 all use the large woofers, are the same width, and are clearly following a linear progression.

R5 is an alternative design which takes the opportunity to make something really slim with woofers no bigger than the Uni-Q. I get something of a sense that this is something the engineers wanted to do, possibly as an experiment while working on the directivity and shadow flare stuff, and marketing said "sure, why not, it increases the choice?".

Even in KEF's own specs, the R3 and R5 have basically the same frequency response, but in different form factors. The R7 and R11 are actually more capable.

I wouldn't be put off the larger ones by the R5 not outperforming the R3.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Erin's sample is slightly brighter than Amir's but at such levels of linearity who cares?
A guy in the R3 thread with the umik-1/REW did some filters for getting a VERY flat FR, a cute FR that you can R7, R3 AND R11 use the same coax+shadow flare plus the internal housing for the UNIQ
index.php

Top Bottom