• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's IKEA SYMFONISK Lamp Speaker Review

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I feel people are missing the important question: Is it a good lamp?

Good point, and something we all missed. Reviews can be like that. Missing the wood for the trees.

Lamp shades could make all the difference, transparent, muted, dark or filtered. What a fiasco and a phenomenal waste of everyone's time. After all, what bulb was used in the testing? LED, incandescent, or none at all?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
If IKEA thinks that there is money to be made with a under the sofa sub they will not hesitate.
Some low-priced "slim" (under the sofa) subwoofers exist already, at least in the U.S. That said I have no idea if they are popular. I know Dayton Audio also sells a wireless adapter kit for their subs (slim or otherwise) to eliminate the need to run wires.
1238_7_.jpg

fineMen

Major Contributor
I feel people are missing the important question: Is it a good lamp?

Halfway serious: from what I saw at IKEA the colour rendition index CRI is very low (namely not much above "CRI>80") compared to the demand people should state. LED lighting shall take the step to a usable level of say CRI 90+.

Same with that as with audio. Declining quality in the analog department for ever lower prices but increased digital features.

Not to tell that for many people around, audio is as magic as everyday lighting seems to them. Only that for the latter, they actually depend on it :cool:

Last edited:
OP
S

SpinifexV

Bought one this weekend. It's actually quite a nice speaker! Yeah, it's far from the best speaker out there, but listening to it, I can't detect any clear dips or bumps in the frequency response (unlike my Edifier MS50A that clearly has a mid-bass bump). Not the most clear sound (it's not for critical listening), but it delivers a clean, powerful sound to fill a room.

So, recommended... if you need a bedside lamp.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Good point, and something we all missed. Reviews can be like that. Missing the wood for the trees.

Lamp shades could make all the difference, transparent, muted, dark or filtered. What a fiasco and a phenomenal waste of everyone's time. After all, what bulb was used in the testing? LED, incandescent, or none at all?
"We found that incandescent bulbs provided a more 'tubelike' sound, with a well-defined soundstage and well projected vocals, whereas the LED bulbs create a sound more reminiscent of class D designs with a focus on clarity of individual voices that can be called "bright", albeit a little cold."

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Halfway serious: from what I saw at IKEA the colour rendition index CRI is very low (namely not much above "CRI>80") compared to the demand people should state. LED lighting shall take the step to a usable level of say CRI 90+.
I wish they'd make it more obvious, but quite a few of theirs are 90+ including some near the bottom of the range (£3 for a 2 pack). Why they bury it in the words of the product description rather than listing it in the technical info section is beyond me.

Top Bottom