• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner YT channel is about to change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screenshot_20221014-230857.png

Holmz

Major Contributor
We like you Erin. You're a likable person and we support you. :D

^yep^

Being likeable and good also has nothing to do with things “happening for a reason” and/or “deserved” and/or “part of a plan”.

Sometimes the shit storms just dumps a load, and one looks up and finds that they are smack dab in it, and they just need to hunker down and await the sunshine to return.
Like a hurricane/cyclone… just find some high ground, stay dry, and ride it out.
(The storms sometimes have nothing to do with the individual.)

Marriages either end in death or divorce, so at least everyone is still alive.
(But, hey… I am, “a glass 51% full” sort of guy.)

To be honest, I expected a bit of pushback and people to mock it.
They have a word for those sorts of people in Australia, and also on a Bill Burr show.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Hope the new home is acceptable and in similar lovely surroundings as the old one seemed to be... I do wish Erin all the very best and high hopes for his future, even if the bleakness is currently overwhelming. Many of us have been there, or in my case come too darned close to it on occasion and of course we support you sir! It WILL get better :)

Gregm

Hang in there, Erin. Easier to say than do, I know (I've been there).
The future will take you to better places; take care of yourself for you and your daughter.
We are all thinking of you

lherrm

Oh dear. I feel for you man.
I have never been married, but have been left many times and can imagine the pain, especially with a kid.
Your video is an act of bravery and you expressing all this publicly is truly respectable.
As others say, it may seem lightyears away now, but one day you'll have fully recovered and will look back at this in a much different position.
And as @AdamG247 said, sometimes hardships have ultimately a nice outcome, things being better eventually.
Meanwhile take care, cherish your friends and beloved ones, and enjoy music and life as much as you can.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sooo sorry to hear about Erin's situation. I wish him the very best. He has easily one of the best (and most important I think) audio channels on youtube.
I sure hope he can turn things around.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I'm sooo sorry to hear about Erin's situation. I wish him the very best. He has easily one of the best (and most important I think) audio channels on youtube.
I sure hope he can turn things around.

He’ll be fine, he is a fine fellow and others have gone through similar.
It sucks, but he seems to have his $hit together as good as many.

You’re certainly correct about his channel and his work being important, and that is just what we know… so I am sure whatever else he is doing is also well respected.

The saying in Australia is, “The bloke makes it hard not to like him.”

warpdrive

wow, this must be devastating. When I first found out about Erin's channel, I was amazed because this is a guy who really loves this hobby to fund the purchase of the Klippel. Erins reviews are top notch and I like that he listens to the speakers first before using the data to understand why he heard what he heard.

Divorces are messy (the ones I know of personally), so all I can do is to wish him the best, and hopefully we'll see a lot more Klippel data in the future once he gets over this big bump in the road.

Last edited:

jbattman1016

Good luck on the move! As others have stated a LOT of people have been through this and come out the other side. We are with you Erin even if we are all strangers on the internet! :D

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good news: @hardisj is considering measuring amplifiers ! :)
View attachment 255631
Glad to hear this. We need more reviewers out there doing objective testing of the multitude of products out there. Speakers are the most important component to test, but when I see reviews of things like the Hegel's which seem to draw the effusive praise of the Darkos and their ilk, it becomes imperative to test these multi kilobuck pieces of audiophile jewelry to determine if they are at least performant. The more competent people with top flight instrumentation doing that, the better.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't know about others here, but as an EE I'm impressed by all the functions of the AP test systems and their accuracy and traceability. I've seen 'tinkerers' on YT and elsewhere try to cobble together test setups -- and tried to do it myself, and I can't be sure of their results. AP gear may be costly, but it's an investment in truth and test repeatability. Trying to accurately measure power output, distortion, and frequency response in both the time and frequency domain with a bunch of odd instruments and generators is a fool's errand. Then, dealing with digital audio, USB, optical, and coax just multiplies the complexity.

Of an open mind, I'm interested in the current SOTA in simulating speaker loads on power amps and cartridges vs. amp input loading...
555-analyzer-931x504-1.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of an open mind, I'm interested in the current SOTA in simulating speaker loads on power amps
@amirm I think said that a reactive load that is suitable for his needs and to match his gear will be about $10k.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be nice to play a few bits of representative music thru the simulation load and capture it all with an ADC. Then make this tracks available to download so we can hear it.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The benchmark for a long time has been the PowerCube, around $30k last I checked (few years ago). https://www.audiograph.se/stand-alone/ You can buy it stand-alone or as part of an AP test system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom