• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner YT channel is about to change...

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a lot of sympathy for people who are in the kind of miserable circumstances, and, no question, we should all have a social conscience and be generous with our time and even our wallet if we're in better circumstances than "the least of our bretheren." But, even so, we can and will find many other ways to spend our money. I don't think any of us say "I won't spend another nickel on an espresso at our favorite barrista parlor until every child in sub Saharan Africa no longer goes to bed hungry." It just doesn't work that way. Ultimately, we should all work for a better world for every single one of us, but that is no reason we can't also contribute for some endeavor we believe in that addresses one of our 'first world problems." We should be willing to do both.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I have a lot of sympathy for people who are in the kind of miserable circumstances, and, no question, we should all have a social conscience and be generous with our time and even our wallet if we're in better circumstances than "the least of our bretheren." But, even so, we can and will find many other ways to spend our money. I don't think any of us say "I won't spend another nickel on an espresso at our favorite barrista parlor until every child in sub Saharan Africa no longer goes to bed hungry." It just doesn't work that way. Ultimately, we should all work for a better world for every single one of us, but that is no reason we can't also contribute for some endeavor we believe in that addresses one of our 'first world problems." We should be willing to do both.

That alternative fact is that Erin’s reviews are great, and supporting great work is something people choose to do or not.
(I make my own espresso so that saves me enough to support Erin to a small degree.)

The other fact is that a few people like Erin were removed the site, which seems to be a loss for the community.
But the owner of the can make those decisions if they choose,

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screenshot_20230114-081433.png

Screenshot_20230114-084554.png
Screenshot_20230114-084606.png

Last edited:

drmevo

I wasn’t familiar with Erin but came across a few of his videos recently (on subwoofers) and found them helpful. I wish him the best and hope he comes out stronger on the other side.

Why was he banned from this site? It seems like he made meaningful contributions, and going by his last string of posts, wasn’t saying anything rude or behaving like a troll. He had some disagreements, it seems, but polite as far as I can tell. What gives?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why was he banned from this site?
He was banned because of repeatedly using our site to promote his own content and asking for contributions. Here are our terms of service which apply to all members of industry: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-reviewer-with-commercial-endorsement.18155/

Please have a signature identifying the name of your business. You can have a single link to your business but that is it. This link must not lead directly to any form of Advertising or Commercial Sponsorship related links. Same applies to any posts in the forum.

We just banned another reviewer for violating this rule. There are plenty of reviewers here which share their work without such violations. And of course, my own content is presented the same way. Above rule exists and is strongly enforced in every form out there.

Due to circumstances in the OP, his ban has been lifted for the purposes described in that video. Also, members are more than free to post links to his content because they don't have conflict of interest that he has.

drmevo

He was banned because of repeatedly using our site to promote his own content and asking for contributions. Here are our terms of service which apply to all members of industry: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-reviewer-with-commercial-endorsement.18155/

Please have a signature identifying the name of your business. You can have a single link to your business but that is it. This link must not lead directly to any form of Advertising or Commercial Sponsorship related links. Same applies to any posts in the forum.

We just banned another reviewer for violating this rule. There are plenty of reviewers here which share their work without such violations. And of course, my own content is presented the same way. Above rule exists and is strongly enforced in every form out there.

Due to circumstances in the OP, his ban has been lifted for the purposes described in that video. Also, members are more than free to post links to his content because they don't have conflict of interest that he has.
I see, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm sure Erin feels a bit like this below.
I know I have at least 3 times in my life.
Erin, just find yourself some cute young thing and move on.
That will ease the pain I guarantee. ;)

Holmz

Major Contributor
He was banned because of repeatedly using our site to promote his own content and asking for contributions. Here are our terms of service which apply to all members of industry:

I get that it is a competition for followers and reviews, but on the other hand Erin’s good work was in the same spirit as ASR… so it can come across as being a bit factional/tribal, and can be perceived as reflecting poorly amongst the general science driven crowd.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Those that like what Erin (or others) do can simply follow their website(s) and YT channels as well as looking at ASR and Amir's YT videos.
I think all ASR members know where to find Erin, Oratory, Crinacle, Jude, SBAF, Archimago and others. Most of them have an account here as well but rarely use it. It is all about how ASR is used (promotion, discussion etc.) and one can directly interact with those individuals on their website(s)/YT channels directly.
Besides... everyone can post links here to articles or websites when there is info about a certain object.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I get that it is a competition for followers and reviews, but on the other hand Erin’s good work was in the same spirit as ASR…
It is not competition with me. If you have not noticed, we have plenty of traffic here and on my youtube channel. What I consider competition are the highly subjective sites and youtube channels. That is what keeps me going everyday. To make sure the voice of audio science, engineering and objective data travels as far if not farther than the sum total of all of those sites.

I can't fathom why you say our "spirits" are the same. They are not at all. I don't monetize my youtube channel for example. There is not even a mention of hitting the subscribe/like button in my videos. I share information and that is that. Erin's channel on the other hand is like every other youtuber trying to make money/living from the channel. Which is fine. More power to him. Just don't come and recruit viewers/money from us here after you have been warned multiple times to not do it. I don't know why this was such a difficult concept for him to grasp. Or for his fans like you for that matter.

Paolo

I don't know why this was such a difficult concept for him to grasp. Or for his fans like you for that matter.
I will try an analogy, it’s for the sake of understanding, not judging.
ASR is the OS of the objective audiophile world, a platform more than a single software. Many here perceive it as the de facto town square, the place where everything happens and they do not care about the subtle difference between promoting monetised content vs non-monetised content.
For them is really just audio content and restricting what can be discussed in “their” public plaza feels akin to state censorship or like petty competition from the plaza private owner.
It is a testament of ASR’ importance, not too different from the iOS debate where many would like the ability to use it like other OSs, without restrictions from Apple.
I hope this somehow clarify the point of view many share here. I know yours and I’m not here to discuss it, it is clear to me that opening the forum to monetised content creators would be opening the Pandora’s box.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not a great analogy IMHO. Nor is an analogy needed.

ASR is just a website/forum hosted by Amir. How others perceive it is irrelevant.

In the end Amir (and the other admins) determine what can be posted and what not and who is allowed to post and who are no longer allowed to post for their reasons.
How people perceive ASR and whether or not they should get a vote on who and what is posted is simply the wrong view.

The reasons why a registered ASR member is, is not, or is temporarily not allowed to post is not up to me nor other members.
One can ask why and when the how and why is posted you can agree with the decision or not. That's about it.

ASR members can read and start threads and reply to content/posts .... on Amir's website and it is to Amir and admins to decide who and what is allowed.

Personally I like Erin a lot and also what he does.
He is a valuable asset to the audio community as are many others.
If I want to see what he is up to I just visit his website/YT channel.
Whenever I need to contact him I can do that via other channels too.
I don't need ASR as a 'platform' for that.

D

Deleted member 21219

For them is really just audio content and restricting what can be discussed in “theirpublic plaza feels akin to state censorship or like petty competition from the plaza private owner.

If a plaza is public, then there is no "private owner". If there is a private owner, then the plaza is not "public". The idea that you are putting forward is that if you are allowed to use someone else's private property, then it becomes your property due to your use. That's not true.

No matter how many times you visit someone at their house, that house doesn't become yours and you don't tell the family living there how to do things. You're just a visitor, plain and simple. You behave yourself and follow the rules of the household.

If you can't do that, then leave that family alone and don't be a leech.

Jim

Paolo

I think you’re both missing the relevant part of my post, where I’m responding to Amir who says: “I don't know why this was such a difficult concept for him to grasp. Or for his fans like you for that matter.”
I have expressed my opinion over what I think people perceive, as a direct response to Amir’s (rhetoric?) doubt.
Facebook users tend to be oblivious to the fact that what they post is often public and treat their profile as a private room to vent off opinion, often forgetting how public those can get. They also forget or flat-out don’t understand that Meta is a private entity.
How FB users perceive the platform is important to understand how they use it and how they live with it.

It is normal human behaviour, you may find similar instances when looking at how employees often confuse HR department and colleagues in general as their friends and express themselves in ways, should I say, too relaxed, or inappropriate.

When we humans loose sight of the environmental boundaries we’re in, it is way too easy to behave inappropriately. Online is easier than ever and ASR is no exception.

Maybe I should also clarify that I’m using words like “inappropriate” referring to the inadvertent harm people can cause to themselves and other with those behaviours. I’m not judging anyone here.

AdamG

Helping you stretch your audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
It’s all about Commercial Conflict of interest. We highly prize and Value our commercial neutrality. When compensation is involved in the work you do, eventually that compensation, be it free kit or outright payment for “Reviews” things get murky and Reviews morph into endorsed advertising masquerading as truthful Reviews. Amir is fully retired and not looking to make a living from his work. Good luck finding that at many other Review Websites. The rules of the Corporate Jungle. If a Reviewer presents a Product in a negative light they don’t get any more business from them. Just look at Amir’s body of work. He would go broke if this was a actual business model. The Headless Panther reigns supreme here.

Unbiased, non monetized, unendorsed, unblemished truth. Funded by the generosity of our Host and the support of Donor Members. I rue the day Amir decides to call it quits! :eek:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Iam 100% egoistic. Thats why i hope Erin comes fast as possible out of his situation. Meets a nice woman, and feeds us again whit outstandig great speaker reviews.

Holmz

Major Contributor
It is not competition with me. If you have not noticed, we have plenty of traffic here and on my youtube channel. What I consider competition are the highly subjective sites and youtube channels. That is what keeps me going everyday. To make sure the voice of audio science, engineering and objective data travels as far if not farther than the sum total of all of those sites.

I can't fathom why you say our "spirits" are the same. They are not at all.
Well you both:
  1. Test stuff and give reviews that are more objective based.
  2. Have YouTube videos of those reviews
  3. Have patreon subscription/support
  4. Have modern test equipment
We pretty learned this stuff in kindergarten when we had a cow, a pig, a horse, and an apple… we could identify which one was not like the others.
If I had Guttenberg, Hardison, and McGown, Fremer, and was asked to pick one of those, based upon their spirit, that was most like yours…

... Just don't come and recruit viewers/money from us here after you have been warned multiple times to not do it.
yep.. ^the rules are clear.^
However I suspect that a Venn diagram of his supporters and yours has overlap.
Hence the spirits.

It would be interesting for a psychologist, or other social studies type, to work out whether viewers/money are being recruited AWAY, or if viewers/money are being bolstered.

I don't know why this was such a difficult concept for him to grasp. Or for his fans like you for that matter.
I am just slow, and do not really see what happens behind the scenes.

But I like the work both of you do, so it gives me multiple places to visit.
I hope my explanation helps to understand my perspective looking at it from afar.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well you both:
  1. Test stuff and give reviews that are more objective based.
  2. Have YouTube videos of those reviews
  3. Have patreon subscription/support
  4. Have modern test equipment
We pretty learned this stuff in kindergarten when we had a cow, a pig, a horse, and an apple… we could identify which one was not like the others.
If I had Guttenberg, Hardison, and McGown, Fremer, and was asked to pick one of those, based upon their spirit, that was most like yours…

yep.. ^the rules are clear.^
However I suspect that a Venn diagram of his supporters and yours has overlap.
Hence the spirits.

It would be interesting for a psychologist, or other social studies type, to work out whether viewers/money are being recruited AWAY, or if viewers/money are being bolstered.

I am just slow, and do not really see what happens behind the scenes.

But I like the work both of you do, so it gives me multiple places to visit.
I hope my explanation helps to understand my perspective looking at it from afar.

But why? You keep going with these circular arguments about Erin and March.
Amir was responding to a new member who was did not know what was happening. Do you realky need to keep recycling these pointless debates? I mean its been answered so many times.
Wait, now you want a psychologist???

By the way, big fan of Erins work, have been a contributor from the beginning. Also completely understand why he was banned from here, and accept he will feel hard done by.
Can we move on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom