• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner YT channel is about to change...

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The benchmark for a long time has been the PowerCube, around $30k last I checked (few years ago). https://www.audiograph.se/stand-alone/ You can buy it stand-alone or as part of an AP test system.
Would love to see that become part of Amir's tests. Peter Aczel used to do it with The Audio Critic. I thought it very useful.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Would love to see that become part of Amir's tests. Peter Aczel used to do it with The Audio Critic. I thought it very useful.
Me too, but price is a barrier, and perhaps time. Time to chip in again!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Go ahead… Erin has a patreon page.

So, middle class, digital panhandling is where we are now. It's most unfortunate.

I see even here, people are now asking their local community to donate to 'go fund me' funerals because they can't afford it themselves. A local in our area, who nobody knows wanted to raise, wait for it, $75,000 for a funeral for her mother and sister!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A local in our area, who nobody knows wanted to raise, wait for it, $75,000 for a funeral for her mother and sister!
Appears there is snake-oil hustling going on everywhere John, sad.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen this with funerals too. I did see a couple locals ask for $4k for a funeral. That is about the low price for a basic decent funeral in this area. One received $25k or some such and gave the rest to charity. I've not done go fund me, but it seems you can stop contributions or limit how much. People are free to give or not. In the case of those asking for $4k it was reasonable and not quite like being bothered by pan handlers. You reach a far wider audience without burdening them. They can give or ignore. Now a request for $75k would convince me not to give if I were considering it.

I've sent a few dollars to Erin as I valued what he was doing. I don't equate that with panhandling exactly either.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I do not consider what Erin is doing as digital panhandling and I even think the implication is disrespectful. Or would you also describe donations to ASR as panhandling? I wouldn’t.

Give something or not, but we all will get something back from it eventually (measured amps) and that for me is a major difference to panhandling.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
and I even think the implication is disrespectful.

Disrespectful of exactly what? Asking for free money when you aren't actualy in dire need of financial assistance is just poor form.

The man living in his car with no money for a decent meal deserves our help. The vet who busted his ass for his country and is now facing eviction from his rented apartment needs our help. The woman who had to escape her abusive partner and has nowhere to go, needs our help.

Not the guy who decides he wants the world's most expensive piece of audio test gear to fulfill his wish to be taken seriously as a reviewer.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Disrespectful of exactly what? Asking for free money when you aren't actualy in dire need of financial assistance is just poor form.

The man living in his car with no money for a decent meal deserves our help. The vet who busted his ass for his country and is now facing eviction from his rented apartment needs our help. The woman who had to escape her abusive partner and has nowhere to go, needs our help.

Not the guy who decides he wants the world's most expensive piece of audio test gear to fulfill his wish to be taken seriously as a reviewer.
I referred to Erin not to anyone else.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and it looks like @VintageFlanker is already there
Am I... where?

Asking for free money when you aren't actualy in dire need of financial assistance is just poor form.
Yet, you're a forum donor here, John. Did you think Amir was in dire need of financial assistance?

OK.:rolleyes:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Am I... where?

Yet, you're a forum donor here, John. Did you think Amir was in dire need of financial assistance?

OK.:rolleyes:

You have a point for sure.

More like a subscription to a magazine like Stereophile I guess. I used to subscribe to plenty of electronics and HiFi magazines back in the day. They gradually all lost my money, even ones where I had loyally subscribed for many decades (and have the boxes of magazines to prove it). Publications ultimately became parodies of themselves as they tried to "adapt to new paradigms" and "reimagine themselves" etc. Sad to watch.

ASR is at least "nimble" enough to adapt and embrace new ways of doing things and much as it isn't perfect (what is?), it's pretty good and probably deserves our ongoing subscription/s. Plenty of members think so. Like many things in life, it is a transaction. If you feel you put in more than you get in return, you should be compensated and vice versa. A generous anonymous member clearly felt my contributions to ASR had some value, so that's why you see 'donor' on my tag.

I like to contribute in my own way to ASR, just as you do. For me, it trying to provide some perspective, historical information, technical repair help and some hands-off analysis/opinions of gear people ask about. I don't want to be a celebrity reviewer, I could easily go that path, but too many cooks in the kitchen comes to mind. Especially when all those cooks want to put their own "spin" on the dishes...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Go ahead… Erin has a patreon page.
(and it looks like @VintageFlanker is already there.)
I meant giving to @amirm , and I already donated. Like John @restorer-john , I treat this as more akin to a magazine subscription, and am willing to donate to keep the lights on. With no advertising revenue I don't feel right about Amir shouldering the entire burden of cost plus the endless volunteer hours he puts in. I generally feel the same about Erin but do not follow his site so am unlikely to contribute. I may check it out; for now, it's the new year, and taxes, fees, and inflation are all higher and eating into my income in a pretty big way.

I happened to read an article earlier today about the number of scams on GoFundMe, many related to funeral expenses or to help out someone very sick -- allegedly. Whilst there are legitimate requests, apparently the scam rate is pretty high, and GoFundMe's vetting process ain't perfect. Unless I know the person I stick to regular charities.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The man living in his car with no money for a decent meal deserves our help.
If he makes an effort to pick himself up.
I see people all over with long term alcohol or drug addictions who would rather lay around getting high and begging for cash.
Sorry no thank you sir, the Lord helps those who help themselves.
As am I.
But Amir never asked for money to buy his expensive spinorama speaker measurement system, nor his equally pricey Audio Precision analyzer, besides his other bench full of gear. Just the day to day operation of this site is expensive but he does it without the support
of advertisements, keeping the integrity of the published reviews above reproach.
A small donation to keep this fairly unique site from becoming a personal burden on him is not too much to ask.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I see people all over with long term alcohol or drug addictions who would rather lay around getting high and begging for cash.
Sorry no thank you sir, the Lord helps those who help themselves.

Whats the view like from up there on high?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Whats the view like from up there on high?
Up where?
I've been flat broke a couple times in my life.
Then worked my ass off to get back on my feet.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
You've obviously never suffered from an addiction nor had close friends die of addictive and destructive personalities so congratulations on your health and wealth, long may it continue. I hope you can also entertain the notion that addiction is a chronic and destructive disease involving many factors such as environment, upbringing, genetics and suchlike.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You've obviously never suffered from an addiction nor had close friends die of addictive and destructive personalities
You'd be surprised but confession is best left to Church.
I hope you can also entertain the notion that addiction is a chronic and destructive disease involving many factors such as environment, upbringing, genetics and suchlike.
Yep, but in the end it is up to the individual to make the decision to change.
If he prefers to stay on his current path, all the attempt at help is simply enabling.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Phew, this thread was about to turn into a personal soapbox!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom