• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner gets a Klippel NFS!

buz

Forum Donor
Yes, Firefox on Win despite me using a lot of filtering (!)

bogart

Forum Donor
Yes, Edge on Windows. Nobody using Edge, someone had to say it :)

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can see the photos, and I like your plan for the written/video reviews. I admit that I usually skim through your written reviews for the highlights--"ok, he likes this," or "Ah, so it works better in this configuration," that sort of thing. I've always liked reading Amir's reviews because they're concise and if I have further questions, that's what the forum is for.

bogart

Forum Donor
I can see the photos, and I like your plan for the written/video reviews. I admit that I usually skim through your written reviews for the highlights--"ok, he likes this," or "Ah, so it works better in this configuration," that sort of thing. I've always liked reading Amir's reviews because they're concise and if I have further questions, that's what the forum is for.

I'd agree. Contrasting the two formats, Erin's are incredibly thorough, but generally are telling the story that the measurements did. For those who understand the measurements, it's duplicative, for those who don't... I suspect video may be a medium more suited to the explanation process. Further, the ability to interrogate you personally here is far more interesting as @Alexanderc says ;) As well, since it seems your queue is filled with primarily very-capable speakers, you'll run out of narrative flourishes to describe their excellence, as you mentioned on your FB group.

Perhaps one rule of thumb to consider would be that you provide a deeper narrative when something is broken or wrong; "this is weird because" is interesting reading, and particularly if the measurements look mostly good, it's more interesting to call out and explore that oddity. It would mean that many of your reviews are short-form, and the ones that aren't are focused primarily on the deviations from excellence vs. the confirmation of it.

McFly

I've been wrestling with how I am going to provide my reviews lately.

Therefore, I am going to go back to my original plan:
  • My website will provide a brief written review with the data.
  • If you want explanation and more of my subjective thoughts you'll have to watch the video.

This is, truly, the only way I can get anything done at any appreciable rate.

- Erin

You do what works for you man - you're not retired, you're in full time work, you're (I assume) in full family mode, most people in that zone dont even have time to sleep or visit their parents. BUT you bought a goddamn Klippel NFS, and find the time to do ground plane measurements and shoot videos? Anything you can offer the community is better than anything the haters will say. Don't take anything personally, those people will eventually figure out how life works and come to appreciate all you're doing.

That goes to Amir and anyone else I've missed posting objective data. We love you for it. Keep up the good work team.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Therefore, I am going to go back to my original plan:
  • My website will provide a brief written review with the data.
  • If you want explanation and more of my subjective thoughts you'll have to watch the video.

I think this is great. I hate it when data is fully buried in youtube videos so it's hard to find for reference later on, but I don't think there's really any need for full written reviews. This way the measurements are available to reference in posts and to link, and if you want the detailed explanation then you can watch the video. That's totally fair.

And for the people who really want to read it in text format, well, YouTube does have automated transcripts :p

Jdunk54nl

I am sure you have somewhat of a script for your youtube videos, so just use that on your website with the data if it is appropriate.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I am sure you have somewhat of a script for your youtube videos, so just use that on your website with the data if it is appropriate.

Nope. I tried scripted early on. I can't do it. That's not me. I try to treat these things like a conversation with a friend and then I just edit out the long winded stuff. :)

McFly

I just finished the DD8C review for my site. I'm going to wait to drop it with the video review. Hopefully by this weekend. But I think you guys are gonna be excited about some of my "extra" stuff. :)
I cant even

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Alright. Sorry to bother you guys but need some help again. Weird things are happening to the images. The previous method I tried seems to only be good for so long. So, let me try this again. I'm going to post 3 images of a spec sheet. Tell me which ones (if any) you can see. A number will suffice. And let me know what browser you're on.

What I'm hoping happens is you see #2 and/or #3 and that it doesn't stop being visible after a couple hours.

Thanks in advance.

#1) (straight link copy)
specs.png

2) (long link copy)
file

edit: 3) (just added; new method)

specs.png

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I'm not seeing #1 on Safari on my mac. But I see both on Google Chrome on both the PC and the mac.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see 2 images of text. I'm on windows 10 with Chrome.

Rockdog

You do what works for you man - you're not retired, you're in full time work, you're (I assume) in full family mode, most people in that zone dont even have time to sleep or visit their parents. BUT you bought a goddamn Klippel NFS, and find the time to do ground plane measurements and shoot videos? Anything you can offer the community is better than anything the haters will say. Don't take anything personally, those people will eventually figure out how life works and come to appreciate all you're doing.

That goes to Amir and anyone else I've missed posting objective data. We love you for it. Keep up the good work team.
Completely agree with McFly. You doing you is pretty damn outstanding no matter the format. Those looking at a purchasing decision will eat up every word and your accessibility here and on your own site will get any questions answered. The coming review will be fascinating.

Nada for pics on my Droid..

PS, can't help mentioning it, got my 228s in today and blissfully working on placement. Yes, I consumed every word on these on this site, from Amir on the 328s, and Erin's review of the smaller model. Best audio purchase of my life by a long shot. Budget also exceeded by a mile thanks to all you knuckleheads! Ouch!

Top Bottom