• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner gets a Klippel NFS!

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
There is nothing to it. Just right click in each 2034 graph and export as txt file. Let it pick the name.

Okay. I thought maybe you were using the Visualization because there is an Export option in there (I assume for the industry standard VACS/EASE outputs).

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
could you also post beamwidth graphs in future reviews?

I might. I still prefer the ones I generate but the updated Klippel software makes these things look a lot easier (and easier to change) but it isn't out of beta yet so we will see how the release syncs with my review schedule.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Alright, folks. I re-ran the Kef R3 test this time with the updated 1.46Hz increments instead of the previous 2.93Hz.

Remember, I specifically have my y-axis the way it is so you guys can easily compare against Amir's posted data in his R3 review thread (link). Any official reviews I publish will use a 50 dB y-axis scale.

CEA2034_1_20_octave_1.43Hz.png

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I might. I still prefer the ones I generate but the updated Klippel software makes these things look a lot easier (and easier to change) so we will see.

I like both for different reasons.

I think your style makes more sense, logically, and it gives you a better sense of what the actual dispersion looks like.
I like the "Horizontal Beam Width" graph(one with the defined -3/-6/-9 edges) more for comparing really small dispersion differences.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright, folks. I re-ran the Kef R3 test this time with the updated 1.46Hz increments instead of the previous 2.93Hz.

Remember, I specifically have my y-axis the way it is so you guys can easily compare against Amir's posted data in his R3 review thread (link).

View attachment 113240
I think putting an "Erin's Audio Corner" watermark on your data would be helpful. If it's not too much trouble.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I think putting an "Erin's Audio Corner" watermark on your data would be helpful. If it's not too much trouble.

I will. But this isn't "final data" and I don't want anyone making the mistake that it is part of an official review. Which is why I am keeping all this data in this particular thread instead of making it its own or posting it in Amir's thread. Most likely what you see will be it for this speaker but who knows... someone may have another nit to pick and I may have to re-run this damn thing again. LOL

But, of course, official reviews will all have my name as they currently do (or my logo; whichever is easiest depending on what I do with post-processing).

Reactions: GDK
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I like both for different reasons.

I think your style makes more sense, logically, and it gives you a better sense of what the actual dispersion looks like.
I like the "Horizontal Beam Width" graph(one with the defined -3/-6/-9 edges) more for comparing really small dispersion differences.

Yea, but that space costs money. One review? Sure, no big deal. Every review going over years? Adds up. Those matlab plots I generate take up nearly 1mb each because they are so color-dense and if I change the scale or color down, it just makes them look like poo-poo. I'll just have to go with what makes sense to/for me as I go forward.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Remember, I specifically have my y-axis the way it is so you guys can easily compare against Amir's posted data in his R3 review thread (link). Any official reviews I publish will use a 50 dB y-axis scale.

Awesome. Thanks for doing that. It's crazy how close y'alls R3 measurements really are. Almost looks like the same sample. Also says a lot about KEF.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea, but that space costs money. One review? Sure, no big deal. Every review going over years? Adds up. Those matlab plots I generate take up nearly 1mb each because they are so color-dense and if I change the scale or color down, it just makes them look like poo-poo. I'll just have to go with what makes sense to/for me as I go forward.

I think you already do both, or maybe we're talking about different things?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I think you already do both, or maybe we're talking about different things?

I don't show the same way Amir does (which I have posted above; built in to the Klippel software). I still like my own plots for contour plots. But, like I said, the new software is going to make things a bit better so I may switch over to using Klippel's depending on how the final version turns out.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't show the same way Amir does (which I have posted above; built in to the Klippel software). I still like my own plots for contour plots. But, like I said, the new software is going to make things a bit better so I may switch over to using Klippel's depending on how the final version turns out.

Gotcha. Yeah, like I said, I like them both(beamwidth and "globe view") equally, but for different reasons. Really hope your channel takes off now that you have the NFS.

One speaker I would love to see with your 360 globe view is the Magnepan LRS(or any dipole I suppose). With the standard beamwidth and polar graphs, it's hard to "visualize" actually happening there. It would be even tougher if I wasn't already familiar with how dipoles work.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotcha. Yeah, like I said, I like them both(beamwidth and "globe view") equally, but for different reasons. Really hope your channel takes off now that you have the NFS.

One speaker I would love to see with your 360 globe view is the Magnepan LRS(or any dipole I suppose). With the standard beamwidth and polar graphs, it's hard to "visualize" actually happening there. It would be even tougher if I wasn't already familiar with how dipoles work.
Well, Amir measured it, so it would be if Erin wanted to make the globe plot out of curiosity.

The heat map for it is indeed not intuitive, I made a 360° plot for it (horizontal measurements), but nothing like the globe plot Erin makes:
index.php

As a monopole reference, here is the JBL A130 :
chart 21.png

If data size and coding weren’t issues, having an interactive directivity ballon would be awesome:
speaker_Balloon_small.png

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, Amir measured it, so it would be if Erin wanted to make the globe plot out of curiosity.

The heat map for it is indeed not intuitive, I made a 360° plot for it (horizontal measurements), but nothing like the globe plot Erin makes:
index.php

As a monopole reference, here is the JBL A130 :
View attachment 113253

If data size and coding weren’t issues, having an interactive directivity ballon would be awesome:
speaker_Balloon_small.png
Yep given all the choices I'd like to see what you show in your post. Horizontal and vertical maybe for the upper one and the balloon plot. If you can only have one I'd vote the balloon plot, but I bet it is more data the the others.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yep given all the choices I'd like to see what you show in your post.

I'm more interested in what type of ceramic figurines he's going to use for his coarse grading system. ;)

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did you get the add-on option to measure IMD Erin?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Did you get the add-on option to measure IMD Erin?

I've had it this whole time. Just don't use it for loudspeaker testing because I use the multi-tone distortion testing. I do use IMD for drive unit testing to show specifically what happens if someone wants to cross a drive unit too low for a speaker design. But with loudspeakers I find more usefulness in the Multitone tests.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

I don't see me ever not providing the globe polars that I do. I just think they're far too intuitive not to (and, also, something no one else does so it makes me feel extra cool :p).

Top Bottom